Whittaker was actually busting wonderboy up a bit before the ko (full fight)

How is Rory, the guy who lost to Lawler a more scary matchup than the actual champion who has defended? You have some 'splaining to do Mr. expert.

I'll quote my good friend Kenny Florian on this one;

"Styles make fights"

giphy.gif

Vs Condit Lawler actually got a bit careless with his jabs and managed to get himself countered a bit, which he hadn't done previously. But against Thompson, that's not really a such a problematic scenario since Stephen dosen't really work on countering stuff like that as harshly as Condit did.

It would be really intresting to see Thompson vs Rory. Rory's lenghy limbs, good jabs and generally keen sense of distance could be nightmarish for a guy like Thompson to deal with.
Maybe I'll rewatch the fight to see what you are on about. His jab against Rory was so devastating that it may have been second nature for him to overuse it in the next fight. If anything the Carlos fight adequately prepared Lawler for a guy like Wonderboy's reach.

He was striking competitively until he wasn't. Wonderboy isn't this unbeatable guy, he's like Machida when he burst on the scene. Very hard to figure out and land solid strikes on standing but every guy has a weakness. I imagine Wonderboy's is crazy pressure, which isn't really Lawler's game so we'll see what happens.

How is Rory, the guy who lost to Lawler a more scary matchup than the actual champion who has defended? You have some 'splaining to do Mr. expert.

Because styles make fights?

Yea how could Rockhold beat Weidman when Vitor ko'd Rockhold and got smashed by Weidman?

Styles make fights
This is literally rule #1 for anyone who thinks they know anything about mma.

Whittaker is no joke.

Matt Brown beat the living shit out of him for real, on the ground and then on the feet and then all over the ground until the bell. Was a mauling.

Wonder how that would go today.

Matt Brown is a guy you know just loves beating the shit out of people. I think deep down in his soul he would prefer to pound a man's soul out of his body rather than get a quick KO. His elbows are amazing, and his elbows in the clinch are a brutal thing of beauty.

If anything the Carlos fight adequately prepared Lawler for a guy like Wonderboy's reach.

Nah, I don't agree with that. Carlos doesn't really use his reach in that manner. He loves to throw flurries, mix-up techniques into a long series of strikes in a manner which Wonderboy don't do. He is very much a quantity fighter, unlike Stephen who picks his shots much more carefully and dosen't throw out as many techniques at once. Carlos also isn't at all very concerned with controlling distance and angles (which cost him fights against Hendricks and Tyron, whom managed to time him with takedowns/strikes to devastating effect).

I like Whittaker a lot, but rewatching this makes me even more confidant that WB can beat Lawler for the title. WB was even more sharp and precise against Hendricks than he was against Whittaker, who has a similar style to Robbie, imo.

Wonderboy last 3 wins: Hendricks, Ellenberger, Cote.

Lawler: Condit, Rory, Hendricks.

No contest here folks.

Yea how could Rockhold beat Weidman when Vitor ko'd Rockhold and got smashed by Weidman?

Styles make fights
This is literally rule #1 for anyone who thinks they know anything about mma.
2 very different Vitor's douche. Bad analogy.

Matt Brown is a guy you know just loves beating the shit out of people. I think deep down in his soul he would prefer to pound a man's soul out of his body rather than get a quick KO. His elbows are amazing, and his elbows in the clinch are a brutal thing of beauty.

Totally... That's why I love the guy! Those standing elbows, the little short ones in the clinch... Just tailor made for knocking your front teeth out and breaking your nose... Eating up nasty body shots and just getting angrier and meaner.

I remember on tuf when that fucking idiot Jeremy "BAMF" May put lime in Matt's chewing tobacco... All of a sudden you saw this terrifying apparition appear, and the boy Jeremy was shook to the core and then got his nose broken with TUF's all time most satisfying KO!

Look at all this earnest discussion about a matchup that may never happen in the first place. Wonderboy has his first top five win, Congrats. Lawler has faced top five competition exclusively for the past 5 fights.

I think Robbie could be Future Champ at MW, he's the only guy in the MW top 15 rankings under the age of 30.

Whittaker has crisp hands, Wonderboy was just too diverse

Whittaker and Wonderboy are two of the best fighters in the entire UFC, looking forward to them making everyone else aware very soon

Wonderboy last 3 wins: Hendricks, Ellenberger, Cote.

Lawler: Condit, Rory, Hendricks.

No contest here folks.
Well, except for the bit where Lawler could have lost to Hendricks and should have lost to Condit. Lawler is great, but he's also lucky.

Typical. Fighter gets hype so ppl have to show where he's been hit before lol

Kinda sad that some one who has been watching since at least 2012 doesn't understand match ups. And Rory was getting the better of Lawler in the second fight. Rory is definitely a tougher matchup for Wonderboy than Lawler.

Lawler clearly isn't the best WW in the division. Everyone in the top 5 should be a favorite against him.

Back