Whittaker has a case to to be #2 greatest MW ever

pankrat

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Adesanya and Whittaker fought a handful of common opponents at MW, all legit and not far removed from their prime:

Romero
Gastelum
Brunson
Tavares

> Whittaker shows to be the slighly superior fighter based on those fights, imo. Besides,

Adesnaya - Costa (KO), Vettori (SD)
Whittaker - Jacare (KO), Till, Canonier, Hall, Natal (UD)

I guess if Israel defends his tittle vs Whittaker and makes it look easy again I'll be hard to deny Adesanya's superior greatness.
If Bobby gets his revenge, there will be no discussion leff about who is the best behind Silva.

Whittaker MW record is not far from Anderson Silva at this point. Their top10 wins list in terms of caliber of competition is pretty even imo, Silva a better finisher.

Last edited:
I expect their 2nd fight to go differently than the 1st. Some of Adesanya's weaknesses have been exposed and those aren't things you will have fixed one fight later. The path to Whittaker's victory is by using a lot of movement and diverse striking just for setting up his takedowns and making it an ugly grappling match. Rob now also knows he needs to respect Adesanya's striking/power, so he won't be lunging in the way he did before. He needs to outwrestle Izzy, because he won't be able to outstrike him in a 5 round fight. If he keeps his ego in check and is able to secure takedowns, he was a way to win. That said, still a very tough fight/matchup for Whittaker. Adesanya will be (rightfully so) the heavy favourite.

Adesanya nd Whittaker share a handful of common opponents at MW, all of them legit and not far removed from their prime:

Romero
Gastelum
Brunson
Tavares

> Whittaker shows to be the slighly superior fighter based on those fights, imo. Besides,
Adesnaya - Costa (KO), Vettori (SD)
Whittaker - Jacare (KO), Till, Canonier, Hall, Natal (UD)

I guess if Israel defends his tittle vs Whittaker and makes it look easy again I'll be hard to deny Adesanya's superior greatness.
If Bobby gets his revenge, there will be no discussion leff about who is the best behind Silva.
Facts

Nah man not quite yet. If he beats Izzy or loses but continues stay as the #1 contender he could have a better case.

Or he could go to Sherdog’s beloved Bellator and if he snags the Middleweight strap he’s going to get the Moose type cult around him.

Nah man not quite yet. If he beats Izzy or loses but continues stay as the #1 contender he could have a better case.

Or he could go to Sherdog’s beloved Bellator and if he snags the Middleweight strap he’s going to get the Moose type cult around him.

Whittakers record at MW is way superior than Israel at this point, did better vs common opponents too

Whittakers record at MW is way superior than Israel at this point, did better vs common opponents too
I get that but his title reign leaves a lot to be desired. And title retention is a big factor when considering the best UFC middleweight ever. That and since Izzy has a win over him makes me think this won’t catch on.

I love the guy I’m quite literally his simp. But in terms of realistically estimating how this will go down with Sherbros, I can’t say I think they’ll latch on.

He definitely does not. Sherdog is ridiculous sometimes. Whitaker beats a dude who’s lost 3 of his last 4, and suddenly he should be ranked all time above Silva, Hendo, Mousasi, Franklin, Belfort... wtf.

He was already above most of these guys at MW. His resume Vs Franklin's resume frankly isn't comparable.

As of right now, no he doesn't. You can't just ignore their fight against each other, with a belt on the line too, and the fact that at least one of the Romero fights was controversial. If he beats Adesanya, then yes. As of now, he's top 5 or 10 for sure.

Last edited:
Brunson and Tavares aren’t great wins, Gastelum is a decent mid tier win. Romero is a great win though. But yeah I think Whittaker has a case for a #2 ranking after Silva, Adesanya is still to new in the game to claim the #1 or #2 position.

He definitely does not. Sherdog is ridiculous sometimes. Whitaker beats a dude who’s lost 3 of his last 4, and suddenly he should be ranked all time above Silva, Hendo, Mousasi, Franklin, Belfort... wtf.
Yeah, not to mention until he beats Izzy he can’t even be ranked above him.

Back