Social White students arrested after shouting the N word in Uconn

Man we are going to have to arrest a lot of people playing COD online.

Why, are they running around outside buildings, disturbing the peace? I thought they were inside, playing games online.

A guy recently was cleared of disorderly conduct there after threatening two water company employees by saying he was going to get a gun and kill them. They said he didn't have immediate access to a gun and as city employees they should be trained to deal with angry people. But it may be different since these were people in their homes.
Hmmm. Ok. Out there that would be “terroristic threatening” easily. I’d imagine that in most places you’d be convicted of something similar as that’s a pretty obviously blatant threat. The only government workers expected to deal with that (at least out here) would be law enforcement.

What a shitty attempt by the TS to excuse racial harassment. He'd get offended if you called him a racist tho.

Why, are they running around outside buildings, disturbing the peace? I thought they were inside, playing games online.
They're screaming the N word loudly into their headsets upsetting people online.

The OP is correct that this arrest seems to abrogate the First Amendment rights of these ignorant students. Being arrested on charges of ridicule is out of line with the American concept of Freedom of Speech.
I wouldn’t define “N——“ as ridicule. Go find your nearest black person and ask them if it’s really no big deal.

They're screaming the N word loudly into their headsets upsetting people online.

If muting those scumbags was as easy as pushing a button like it is online, they wouldn't have been arrested.

I wouldn’t define “N——“ as ridicule. Go find your nearest black person and ask them if it’s really no big deal.

It's not my description. The article says that "ridicule" is the charge the students were arrested under.

It's not my description. The article says that "ridicule" is the charge the students were arrested under.
Fair enough! Thanks for the info.

I’ve said my piece on what I think this kind of speech constitutes, and why I don’t think it’s constitutionally protected speech, but as with any legal matter the Devil is in the details. I’d really need to read the whole statute and witness the whole event to know exactly how this should play out. And I’m not that invested to go seek that out.

Black students at that college would absolutely get off Scot free for getting caught saying the equivalent to white students.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Black students at that college would absolutely get off Scot free for getting caught saying he equivalent to white students.

Just saying.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that so by asserting that, you sound like you have a victim complex.

Maybe the black students know better than to run around yelling racial slurs like jackasses.

Just sayin

You don't even pretend to be able to defend this.

You don't even pretend to understand the ordinance in question.

Again, SCOTUS has long held that nuisance ordinances, like this one, are NOT violations of the 1st Amendment. Turning, on the adequate alternative time/space to protest.

So, standing on a public sidewalk holding up a sign that reads "God Hates Gays," that's ok. Standing in the same spot and shouting it at 3:00a.m., likely not.

This isn't liberals cheering the silencer of offensive views we don't like. It's people putting the incident in it's proper Constitutional context to dismiss right wing rage.

If you would have taken the time to think that through, before jumping in and shouting how moderate you are, you'd have picked up on it.

You guys are silly there is no way they would want to criminalize words .... oh wait

You have absolutely no way of knowing that so by asserting that, you sound like you have a victim complex.

Maybe the black students know better than to run around yelling racial slurs like jackasses.

Just sayin

That’s just a long drawn out way of avoiding the fact that I’m right.

Black students at that college would absolutely get off Scot free for getting caught saying he equivalent to white students.

Just saying.

they already do. Professors can say “all white people are racist” and “some white people may have to die in our revolution” and no repercussions.

the students, hell one black girl as an example put in her yearbook that she learned that she’s “allergic to crackers”. No punishment. Imagine that.

true justice is applied evenly and equally.

I always just assume bc there are so few white racists and white racist incidents, that people are actively trying or Create them

Back