Social White students arrested after shouting the N word in Uconn

Can't believe you're defending this. The 1st amendment and free speech should be something both sides should be protecting.

And now, I'll bet you're going to post examples of the other side doing the same thing, so that makes this OK.
They weren’t even shouting at anyone. They were just shouting. What happens when someone doesn’t like something I shout? This is crazy to me.

I wish I know who the liberal posters and who the right wing posters are. I wanna see if at least one liberal has the same support for free speech as I do.

I'm assuming it's the usual leftists are liking each others posts while the conservatives are liking each others posts.

They weren’t even shouting at anyone. They were just shouting. What happens when someone doesn’t like something I shout? This is crazy to me.

Next time you're on an airplane, go into the bathroom and shout "Bomb".

If the Air Marshals don't blow you away, i'm sure they'll be receptive to the argument that you weren't shouting at anyone in particular.

Next time you're on an airplane, go into the bathroom and shout "Bomb".

If the Air Marshals don't blow you away, i'm sure they'll be receptive to the argument that you weren't shouting at anyone in particular.
That’s not the same and I think you know that. That would clearly be putting people in a dangerous situation. Using a word some find offensive isn’t that.

That’s not the same and I think you know that. That would clearly be putting people in a dangerous situation. Using a word some find offensive isn’t that.

So then you understand that there are degrees to language that "someone doesn't like"? Like racial slurs perhaps?

So your argument is that because freedom of speech is not absolute, there is no such thing as real freedom of speech? That's an ignorant and impractical position to take. Every political freedom has real world limitations, but those limits are usually drawn quite narrowly.
Threads like this invariably bring out people who do not understand the concept of free speech nor the 1st Amendment. The caterwauling in the OP is the perfect example along with many of the reactionary response, yours included prove that.

To your credit you later moderated your view that this, may indeed not be a free speech issue if things like disturbing the peace are considered.

And that is nut of the issue. Free Speech does not exist as an absolute. What most are referring to as 'real free speech' and that we see screamed about such as in the OP and so many threads like this, simply does not exist and never has. It is heavily modified by other rules of safety and decorum.

If one wants to define 'real free speech' as something society can and will modify and restrict as required then sure, then it exists. But that is never what we see decried in threads like this. It is a concept that does not exist and has not almost ever.

Threads like this invariably bring out people who do not understand the concept of free speech nor the 1st Amendment. The caterwauling in the OP is the perfect example along with many of the reactionary response, yours included prove that.

To your credit you later moderated your view that this, may indeed not be a free speech issue if things like disturbing the peace are considered.

And that is nut of the issue. Free Speech does not exist as an absolute. What most are referring to as 'real free speech' and that we see screamed about such as in the OP and so many threads like this, simply does not exist and never has. It is heavily modified by other rules of safety and decorum.

If one wants to define 'real free speech' as something society can and will modify and restrict as required then sure, then it exists. But that is never what we see decried in threads like this. It is a concept that does not exist and has not almost ever.

Lol? Please quote anyone in this thread claiming that free speech is an absolute. I missed it. What you seem to be missing is that in the US, people cannot usually be arrested for ridicule, racial or otherwise.

Lol? Please quote anyone in this thread claiming that free speech is an absolute. I missed it. What you seem to be missing is that in the US, people cannot usually be arrested for ridicule, racial or otherwise.
Re-read the OP please.

So then you understand that there are degrees to language that "someone doesn't like"? Like racial slurs perhaps?
Come on, man. Putting someone in danger is not at all the same as being offensive. You know this.

Re-read the OP please.

The OP is correct that this arrest seems to abrogate the First Amendment rights of these ignorant students. Being arrested on charges of ridicule is out of line with the American concept of Freedom of Speech.

Freedom of speech does not include the right to play my mixtape in a crowded theater.

Man we are going to have to arrest a lot of people playing COD online.

Come on, man. Putting someone in danger is not at all the same as being offensive. You know this.

Is incitement a crime or not?

The vibe i'm getting is that you understand that racial slurs aren't simply "offensive", but that you think they should be. Or even better, that nobody should care at all.

Am I far off?

Back