Social White students arrested after shouting the N word in Uconn

It’s funny that as a Latino I went through my tall T Sean Jean/Ecko phase saying ninja like it was going out of style with my fellow black and Latino friends. Just a word....then some white kid said it in the exact same non threatening style and it caused a huge fight. I always found that...well fascinating. I have the Morgan Freeman approach to all of this which is just stop talking about it and move on. You can call me a spic or wetback and I’ll just say cool bud. Imagine a word being a catalyst for anger and physical harm....in 2019
This. ignore it. It's a general insult and not directed at you specifically. I think it speaks to how society is that we expect POC to get upset over words like that.

"Free speech"...jeez bitches, grow some balls and just come out the closet already, say what's on your mind instead of this cloak and dagger tap dancing.

It's good to know that in America you're not allowed to racially harass people without repercussion. In a civilized world people should be able to live freely without being harassed because of the colour of their skin.

I know some people think its ok to racially harass people but it's 2019 and times have changed.

I have a black friend who is married to a white lady. They have 4 boys ages 15 to 25. She sometimes says the n-word to them when she is yelling at them. I cringe when I hear her do it.

yes this is cringeworthy but there's still a distinction .. does she say gga or er .. big difference .. if she's saying 'igga why did you do that' .. that's not the same as if she's saying 'you stupid n er ' .. I'm going to assume she says igga until you respond .. that would be bizarre and disappointing if she's saying er to her own sons

What? No, it's well worth complaining about. My point was that I don't think anyone has challenged it in court because they are getting slapped on the wrist and it would be a multi year commitment to get that overturned.

Speech laws are always a slippery slope. Aarresting people for ridiculing others in governmentally disapproved ways is a unhealthy step towards an HRT.
"Complaining about" is not what happened in the OP and most subsequent points supporting that view. It was pure outrage as if this undoes the very concept of the 1st Amendment.

Nuisance type laws do NOT do that.

The local black jews here were slurring everyone in sight weirdly no cops showed up to arrest them. Black privilege is a thing. Some asian guy got called in a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

yes this is cringeworthy but there's still a distinction .. does she say gga or er .. big difference .. if she's saying 'igga why did you do that' .. that's not the same as if she's saying 'you stupid n er ' .. I'm going to assume she says igga until you respond .. that would be bizarre and disappointing if she's saying er to her own sons

She says it with gga. If you were just to hear her you would think she was black.

The local black jews here were slurring everyone in sight weirdly no cops showed up to arrest them. Black privilege is a thing. Some asian guy got called in a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.
And if those groups were yelling outside your residence at night (which is generally not protected speech), rather than preaching their hate in public (which is generally protected speech), then they would be arrested, too.

And if those groups were yelling outside your residence at night (which is generally not protected speech), rather than preaching their hate in public (which is generally protected speech), then they would be arrested, too.
They were in a residential area right next to condos. Checkmate.

I’m pretty sure you can’t go outside someone’s home and repeatedly yell obscene things at them. This doesn’t seem to be a freedom of speech issue. For instance, If someone came on your lawn at night and started yelling obscenities while your kids were in the house, that seems more like a harassment issue, which of course is punishable.

Do people think that you should be able to walk around screaming :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: at the top of your lungs?

Of course a video of them shouting racist slurs contributed to public pressure to get police involved. No one suggested otherwise.

The issue we were discussing was whether or not it was legal for police to make an arrest, or whether the ordinance authorizing an arrest was valid. The answer to both is yes, for the reasons previously given.

No one here has argued that racial slurs should be categorically criminalized. So you can stop trying to strawman that in.

Seriously, have we met before? I've been to the Bay Area many times, and have often mocked hipsters. Were you one of them?

Regardless, resulting to insults so quick is pretty lame. It's not as bad as that time you were losing a debate on the border wall, and resorted to accusing me of being mexican, but it's in the same ball park.

Try and actually debate the legality of the issue discussed. Don't just throw a tantrum and result to insults the moment you get stuck.
No, the issue we're discussing is the nature of why these men's freedom is being curtailed.

Here are the defenses mounted:
  1. This was already a law, and has been previously prosecuted (the logic is that because it was a law with precedent it is morally correct).
  2. If those who object to how authoritarian this law is don't work as professional legal free speech advocates then their opinion is invalid.

These are stupid arguments that don't even pretend to contend with whether or not this is an absurd abuse of the law, and of free speech.

Obviously, yes. It shouldn't be legal to go around screaming profanity and racial slurs at apartments, and in this case it seems to have been done for no other reason than to disturb the peace.

Nice bootkicking there, bud.

Can't believe people are actually spineless enough to support these sort of laws.

Do people think that you should be able to walk around screaming :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: at the top of your lungs?

Yes.

Of course, you'd have to deal with the consequences. But make such actions illegal? I can't see how anyone would actually go along with this horseshit.

Yes.

Of course, you'd have to deal with the consequences. But make such actions illegal? I can't see how anyone would actually go along with this horseshit.

I should state that if you wanted to say :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: with your inside voice anywhere, that should be (and is, so far as I know) strictly legal. But how about this situation: I roll up to your house, stand on public land with a PA system, and just yell :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: at you and your family all day. Don't you think there should be some sort of a legal grounds to have me shooed away?

I should state that if you wanted to say :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: with your inside voice anywhere, that should be (and is, so far as I know) strictly legal. But how about this situation: I roll up to your house, stand on public land with a PA system, and just yell :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: at you and your family all day. Don't you think there should be some sort of a legal grounds to have me shooed away?

The situation you presented and the one that actually happened are quite different, given the fact they weren't using a PA system.

There should be laws against preventing those from creating public nuisances, but that shouldn't solely be dependent on the language they use. Which in this case, its strictly about the language used. Had they decided to yell "asshole" instead this would be a much different story.

The situation you presented and the one that actually happened are quite different, given the fact they weren't using a PA system.

Maybe in degree, but not in kind. I think you would be equally perturbed by a sufficiently loud screamer.

There should be laws against preventing those from creating public nuisances, but that shouldn't solely be dependent on the language they use. Which in this case, its strictly about the language used. Had they decided to yell "asshole" instead this would be a much different story.

I think there's two issues here: what the kids did was absolutely a public nuisance. Not just in screaming things, but screaming obscenities, it's anti-social behaviour. So I have no sympathy for them being hit with some sort of misdemeanor. But then there's this ridicule law. The actual wording of the law I don't agree with. I think the line should always be ''incitement against'' and ''ridicules or holds up to contempt any person or class of persons, on account of the creed, religion, color, denomination, nationality or race of such person or class of persons, shall be guilty of a class D misdemeanor'' seems to fall short of that.

These are stupid arguments that don't even pretend to contend with whether or not this is an absurd abuse of the law, and of free speech.

How is an absurd belief of free speech if it is constitutionally sound? Are you disputing SCOTUS's previous holdings on this issue? If so, on what grounds?

Back