Social White students arrested after shouting the N word in Uconn

Is incitement a crime or not?

The vibe i'm getting is that you understand that racial slurs aren't simply "offensive", but that you think they should be. Or even better, that nobody should care at all.

Am I far off?
I think we have a right to be offensive, yes. I do not think being offensive is incitement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/us/UConn-racist-slur.html

What the fuck happened to the 1st amendment? Can't they sue the school? They should and bankrupt the school. Fucking ARRESTED for uttering words?

This sets a terrible precedent.

I don't know why it is so hard for some people to understand that no right is absolute. They ALL have limits.
  • Freedom of religion doesn't mean you get to implement a cast system.
  • Freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to yell fire in a crowded theater.
  • The right to bear arms doesn't mean you get to privately own live anti-air missiles.
Every single right extends only up to the point where they affect the well-being and freedom of other individuals or society.

YOUR RIGHTS END WHERE THE RIGHTS OF OTHER PEOPLE BEGIN.

And yes, that means that your right to say whatever you want ENDS where the right of other people not to be harassed on the street based on the color of their skin begins.

Threads like this invariably bring out people who do not understand the concept of free speech nor the 1st Amendment. The caterwauling in the OP is the perfect example along with many of the reactionary response, yours included prove that.

To your credit you later moderated your view that this, may indeed not be a free speech issue if things like disturbing the peace are considered.

And that is nut of the issue. Free Speech does not exist as an absolute. What most are referring to as 'real free speech' and that we see screamed about such as in the OP and so many threads like this, simply does not exist and never has. It is heavily modified by other rules of safety and decorum.

If one wants to define 'real free speech' as something society can and will modify and restrict as required then sure, then it exists. But that is never what we see decried in threads like this. It is a concept that does not exist and has not almost ever.

Freedom hating douche. You want peopme kocked up for words? What kind of pussy shit is that?

Do sounds hurt you?

I don't know why it is so hard for some people to understand that no right is absolute. They ALL have limits.
  • Freedom of religion doesn't mean you get to implement a cast system.
  • Freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to yell fire in a crowded theater.
  • The right to bear arms doesn't mean you get to privately own live anti-air missiles.
Every single right extends only up to the point where they affect the well-being and freedom of other individuals or society.

YOUR RIGHTS END WHERE THE RIGHTS OF OTHER PEOPLE BEGIN.

And yes, that means that your right to say whatever you want ENDS where the right of other people not to be harassed on the street based on the color of their skin begins.

That's not how we do things here in America. Unlike the shithole that is Peru, we can offend people here and expect not to be arrested.

Are Albanians white?
Albanian and a Turk...

191022-jarred-karal-ryan-mucaj-cs-705a_a0603ccc5b437da744e09c63dd2365bf.fit-760w.jpg

They are white, yes but if they were victims of something the media would call them brown, middle easterner or whatever.

You guys are silly there is no way they would want to criminalize words .... oh wait

I'm not even going to address the absurdity of this idea but I'm just curious... Did they pull that word out of a hat or something? Bitch is not even that problematic. Why not :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, :eek::eek::eek::eek:? Why start with bitch?!

What the fuck happened to liberals championing free speech, even when it's at its most offensive? They used to fight this shit tooth and nail in the 1990s.
You don't enjoy it, but should the person playing the music be arrested?
Guess what? They are not liberals anymore!

The OP is correct that this arrest seems to abrogate the First Amendment rights of these ignorant students. Being arrested on charges of ridicule is out of line with the American concept of Freedom of Speech.
Wrong.

The OP assumes that various nuisance ordinance such as the one used here are against free speech. They are not.

Wrong.

The OP assumes that various nuisance ordinance such as the one used here are against free speech. They are not.

If they lead to folks being arrested on charges of ridicule, which is how this is reported in the link, then yes it certainly seems like it is.

That's not how we do things here in America.

The fact that people have been convicted over there for decades by the same laws your bitching about now kind of disproves you.

If they lead to folks being arrested on charges of ridicule, which is how this is reported in the link, then yes it certainly seems like it is.

you seem caught up in the name of the law. The intent and application of the law seem to fit in just fine with what we would call nuisance laws and I am ok with that if applied judiciously. This instance, imo certainly applies.

you seem caught up in the name of the law. The intent and application of the law seem to fit in just fine with what we would call nuisance laws and I am ok with that if applied judiciously. This instance, imo certainly applies.

There is overlap with nuisance laws, as myself and others have extensively discussed here. In that sense, I have no problem that these young men were arrested. They seemed to be disturbing the peace. However, arresting miscreants for "ridicule" is begging for an appeal by toeing that line of prior restraint. Probably the reason it has not been challenged is only because the result seems to be a slap on the wrist.

It's speech. People shouldn't feel so upset that they feel the need to assault others due to a general insult. Arresting them is just basically saying that blacks are too fearful and or dumb to control their emotions.

There is overlap with nuisance laws, as myself and others have extensively discussed here. In that sense, I have no problem that these young men were arrested. They seemed to be disturbing the peace. However, arresting miscreants for "ridicule" is begging for an appeal by toeing that line of prior restraint. Probably the reason it has not been challenged is only because the result seems to be a slap on the wrist.
Yes anyone reasonable who takes the time to understand what was said and with what intent is going to agree this instance is not worth the outrage vent and tears re the destruction of the 1st Amendment.

I can show case many examples in Canada with our Human Rights Tribunals that I complain about that are genuine and gross free speech abuses. This one just does not qualify.

Yes anyone reasonable who takes the time to understand what was said and with what intent is going to agree this instance is not worth the outrage vent and tears re the destruction of the 1st Amendment.

I can show case many examples in Canada with our Human Rights Tribunals that I complain about that are genuine and gross free speech abuses. This one just does not qualify.

What? No, it's well worth complaining about. My point was that I don't think anyone has challenged it in court because they are getting slapped on the wrist and it would be a multi year commitment to get that overturned.

Speech laws are always a slippery slope. Aarresting people for ridiculing others in governmentally disapproved ways is a unhealthy step towards an HRT.

....you must be new. Welcome to WR. The conversation you’re having is with the goof troop. You will be called various names and called an idiot in due time. This is how they spend their day and enjoy their lives. Enjoy your visit!
And he’ll be reported and end up with double yellows....

It’s funny that as a Latino I went through my tall T Sean Jean/Ecko phase saying ninja like it was going out of style with my fellow black and Latino friends. Just a word....then some white kid said it in the exact same non threatening style and it caused a huge fight. I always found that...well fascinating. I have the Morgan Freeman approach to all of this which is just stop talking about it and move on. You can call me a spic or wetback and I’ll just say cool bud. Imagine a word being a catalyst for anger and physical harm....in 2019

So that dude who got dbl carded last month for calling me a racial slur should have got arrested?

Back