Social White Privilege Conference 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did white people rise up from the pits of hell in 1681? They did, didn't they.

This thread is chumming the water for workers united.

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

Love that quote/scene. Cinematic perfection right there.

^^^^And, it's a Great White Shark, no less. How fitting.

How many people here know what a Basking Shark is??? It is a shark even larger than a great white, but it is entirely black, so it gets no love because of racism-and because it is a toothless plankton feeder-but really, because it's black.

Did you just jump you own post?

I've been on message boards for about a decade, but all this feminism/social justice talk seems to have become a forefront issue in like the last year. I mean I've seen it mentioned here and there before in that time, but recently people have become obsessed with it. What happened?

And maybe it's just the sites I go to, but why do I see about a hundred times more anti-social justice talk as opposed to actual social justice conversations.

This thread is chumming the water for workers united.

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

I figured he's one of the instructors.

This is such nonsense. How many different races of people claim that there is a white privilege? Does this privilege hold true in every continent or country?

I've been on message boards for about a decade, but all this feminism/social justice talk seems to have become a forefront issue in like the last year. I mean I've seen it mentioned here and there before in that time, but recently people have become obsessed with it. What happened?

And maybe it's just the sites I go to, but why do I see about a hundred times more anti-social justice talk as opposed to actual social justice conversations.

Thanks Obama.

Because the 'intellectuals', if we can even call them that anymore, have ramped it up over 9000. People who were brainwashed in this bullshit have been accepted to teach the youth of tomorrow so that they too will pass this ideological subversion along to the next generation. Nothing more than new age religion under the guise of 'education'. These people are nothing more than cultists.

Its because identity studies is growing like a plague. More colleges and universities are offering identity studies programs and more people are taking and graduating from these programs. They are money grabs for colleges because most of the programs will take nearly anyone. Especially people who likely wouldn't qualify for more challenging programs. Many of the current "professors" teaching identity studies programs have never actually taken a legitimate (science, history, philosophy, logic...) academic class.

The biggest problem with most of these classes is that the students aren't taught to think critically. Instead, they are taught to parrot the subjective beliefs of the professors and mimic the ridiculous buzzwords and jargon contained within the readings they are given. The worst thing is that the students are taught that the "theoretical" assumptions are absolute truths.

[YT]DJpvFnL6dOk[/YT]

I knew it was bad, but nothing like this.

I would love to get the opinion of the WR. What do you agree with and disagree with in the video? Should this be stopped? Should this be taught to children in schools?

White student:

Settle down guys. white devil, white devil.

equesa_ocha_by_dinochickrox-d5xmdri.jpg

Excuse me...but how is the scientific method, reason and individualism, racialized white constructs?

Such nonsense....complete bullshit...

Funny how you don't see Koreans , Japanese, Indian, and Chinese folk pissing and moaning about the evil white man.

because its not what they do

I don't think some people realize just how out of control this is kind of nonsense is getting. Luckily, its mostly exclusive to college campuses, but the problem is that there is a growing number of people graduating from identity studies courses and then infiltrating the general public. I've noticed a lot of pop-culture magazines and mainstream media are being taken over by "writers" with identity studies backgrounds and they relentlessly spew the race and feminist theory bullshit.

I was reading an independent music magazine I used to read years ago. It was hijacked by a feminist editor and most of the reviews discussed how feminist the lyrics to the songs were.

I fear this bullshit is only going to get worse as long as identity studies programs continue to slip under the radar. Its the one area that doesn't have to meet the same standards as more rigorous academic disciplines.

You should have seen some of the posts (and messages) I got on Facebook after I made a status update promising my current friends that I was going to give all of them millions of dollars when I use my white male privilege to become a multi-billionaire.

Shit drives me crazy. Here, let's put the shoe on the other foot for a second. The majority of government programs designed to help those on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale overwhelmingly benefit minorities and women. In other words, the government is literally giving those groups money. If that isn't privilege, what is? Do we have a black/female privilege problem in our society?

See how stupid the whole premise is? White male CIS privilege really pisses me off. I should stop now or I'll get banned under the current WR rules.

Its because identity studies is growing like a plague. More colleges and universities are offering identity studies programs and more people are taking and graduating from these programs. They are money grabs for colleges because most of the programs will take nearly anyone. Especially people who likely wouldn't qualify for more challenging programs. Many of the current "professors" teaching identity studies programs have never actually taken a legitimate (science, history, philosophy, logic...) academic class.

The biggest problem with most of these classes is that the students aren't taught to think critically. Instead, they are taught to parrot the subjective beliefs of the professors and mimic the ridiculous buzzwords and jargon contained within the readings they are given. The worst thing is that the students are taught that the "theoretical" assumptions are absolute truths.

Agree with this. Gender identity movements are growing on campuses and the 19 year olds with no real life experience are attaching themselves to a minor cause they believe is really huge.

Just looking at this from a macro point of view, if this is the level of discussion we're having in our society, then our society has done a very good job of tolerating differences. But the hairy panties crowd won't look at it that way.

It's sad to say, but a lot of this is driven by female college professors who hate life because they don't have a penis.

1. I haven't watched the video but I'm just bewildered by the fact that the whole 'white privilege' notion rustles so many jimmies.

2. Do people here reject the notion of white privilege entirely or just some feminist/militant black interpretations of it?

Yeah, who would have thought an ideology based on bashing or denigrating an entire race/gender would have backlash?

At a time where many (if not most) white people are having a very hard time even paying bills, it's no surprise that they would get pissed off at the notion of being "privileged." That privilege is a two-way street, though.

1. I haven't watched the video but I'm just bewildered by the fact that the whole 'white privilege' notion rustles so many jimmies.

2. Do people here reject the notion of white privilege entirely or just some feminist/militant black interpretations of it?

For me, it's the highlighted part. It's hard to deny that there are some benefits in being born a white male in the US, but it's evident that some people completely overestimate that benefit.

Haha, white privilege! Way to denigrate all the hard work one puts into their life. Where was my white privilege being raised in a single parent household? Where was it when I worked 2 jobs while finishing my apprenticeship. White privilege didn't pay a goddamn dime on my student loans.

The only time I've enjoyed any amount of privilege is after 20 years of no sleep, ramen, and wear and tear on the body.

Making good decisions and working hard must be white only traits.

For me, it's the highlighted part. It's hard to deny that there are some benefits in being born a white male in the US, but it's evident that some people completely overestimate that benefit.

There are benefits to being a female and/or a minority, too, as I pointed out earlier.

What pisses me off is that there are real social justice concerns out there that are detrimentally affecting races and classes (the Drug War being one of the biggest, if not the biggest), but we're being sidetracked about some non-issue such as white male privilege. Plus, there are just going to be some people who have been told their entire life that they'll never make it due to their skin color/gender, and white male privilege is just a way of expressing an anger towards a group of easy targets without ever really trying to gain success.

It's victimization mentality that seems to plaguing every race, gender and sexual orientation these days. It's also a really hot topic right now due to the Donald Sterling incident. Personally I see whites playing the victim card just as much if not more than anyone these days. I find these types to be really vocal and aggressive, I work with a guy like this hes always talking about how the white man is getting screwed. I work in a very diverse environment and funny enough that he's the only guy that openly talks about his race in the sense that of being a victim to circumstances, guys pretty racist himself too which is really ironic.

Last night I was at a party and a white guy I was talking to said that white people are the new "n-words" I found it amusing and ridiculous but the dude did seem to be in some kind of pain so I heard him out and his rationale, I'm not white either. The truth is that there is quite a bit of racism going around these days directed at whites, same with all races really. Some of it is due to history and backlash against that, some of it is due to personal experiences and some of it is due to plain old racism. I know some of my minority friends talk crap about white people sometimes, a lot of them were called racial slurs growing up and I think they are still pissed. The fact is that people don't take the high road most of the time and hold grudges, regardless of race. Its human nature and I think if some of the races were to switch places they would feel exactly the same way.

Last edited:

My question is, in a country that is mostly white and has been since it's founding, aren't whites going to have most the jobs, most the money, most the exposure, most everything?

I have always wondered why blacks (just as one example) think everything needs to be split 50/50 in all walks of life. They are only 14% of the population, why would they even think they would be as reprsented in a lot of areas, as they think they should be. Then when you take into account that a decent amount are in poverty, have no college degrees, etc, why would they be highly represented in areas of society that require degrees. Now if you want to say that white privilege causes them to be poorer at a higher rate, not go to school at a higher rate, etc, then we can have that conversation. Statistically with such a great number of white people in the country, doesn't it make sense that they would be dominate in most areas?

I was talking with some black co-workers of mine and they were talking about how blacks get pulled over in the city more than whites do. I told them, they should get pulled over more. They kind of looked puzzled and asked why? I said because Memphis is 70% black. So theoretically 7 out of 10 people getting pulled would be black. And that is only if all driving and all cars are the same. I told them that with the high percentage of poverty in the city, cars are less likely to have current tags, the maintenance may not be kept up, and you have black smoke coming out the tail pipe. You may have more head and tail lights out because you can't afford to fix them. These are all things that can cause you to get pulled over. It is not just speeding that you get puleld over for. I also said lets be honest, you have people who do shit that brings shit on themselves. How many people are driving around with illegal tint on their windows, How many people drive through neighborhoods with the trunks rasttling from their soundsystems, even though they know there are noise ordanances? So between tags, lights being out, smoke, window tint and booming systems, that 70 percent can go to 80, 85% easily.

That is an example of a certain race being the majority and how they suffer in that secenario.

An example of blacks being a majority and it working out good for them is Federal/state jobs.

My dad who is one if the few white people who work at the BULK Mail Center in memphis (he is an engineer, fixing the machines if they stop). Although Memphis is 70% black, the Mail Center is about 97% black. Why aren't there more whites? Well because black supevisors make the choice of who to hire and when one of their friends of workers comes to them and says I got so and so that wants a job, then they get the hook up. There is suppose to be a waiting line/system for PO jobs. You have to take a test and then be judged on you application, etc. My dad got bonus points for being in the military and damn near aced the test and he still had to wait 5 years to get his foot in the door. Once your in the system people can be bumped up an down the line depending on who is doing the hiring/interviewing. Again the so well mentioned --ITS NOT WHAT YOU KNOW, IT IS WHO YOU KNOW.

The whiteness of privilege is incidental since the most economically privileged are white because of the dominance of western civilization. Naturally if you live in a western nation, with its western culture, western values, white leaders, and majority white population, yeah, the most succesful will be white, whites will fit in, whites will have the best jobs and higher education will be filled with whites. That's demographics, not privilege.

The problem with conflating whiteness and privilege is that western civilization abolished slavery, has been crusading against racism for decades, becoming more liberal, and western nations are democratic and have welcomed immigrants from everwhere, giving them equal opportunity. So now, for whites who do not have any special economic privilege, of which there are plenty, the label becomes a racial stereotype.

Anybody can be privileged, because privilege is a concept that has to do with social norms, and a person's value and acceptance in society, as well as their equality of opportunity. Racism is definitely still a problem among all different groups of people because it is a human, not a white, phenomenon. But privilege and racism do not overlap so perfectly as to justify assigning privilege solely to whiteness.

When you do so, it becomes this rallying against the authority of society and its institutions, which in the most dominant societies, western ones, the institutions as the rest of the population are majority white, and justifying the anti-whiteness that gets mixed up in it as being merely anti-authority, anti-privilege, hence the focus on minorities, the marginalized of every stripe holding up their victim cards.

That's why last time there was a thread on this I suggested that the concept of social privilege should be separated from the concept of whiteness. At first Workers United called me boneheaded for it but later upgraded to merely outrageous, so I thought we made progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back