White Belts with Cool Gi's

Ban in 3........2..........1.........

I'm a white belt that wears a black gi. I just like the color. So there.

the brand and cost of a gi mostly go toward fit and comfort. it's not really showy simply because it costs more. ie, if you look at a white vulcan vs a white koral vs a white atama vs a white shoyoroll, they're all pretty tame. sharp but not flashy, not ostentatious.

being a white belt doesn't mean you have to wear a crap gi. esp one that doesn't fit well. that makes no sense. you needn't be a blue belt to value a comfortable, well-fitting gi. i understand not wanting to look like a show-off, but really that doesn't even matter because the ppl you train with know where you stand. and it's not just your gi, it's your attitude. wear a nice gi, be humble, and work hard. no problem!

i thought this was gonna be girls with their pink/pastel/tyedye gis. i was wrong. who cares what brand gi someone wears? why should a white belt get a shit brand? my gi cost me 60 bucks and the leg tore when someone grabbed my gi during my first month. the tear grew over time until i finally just ripped it across to where one pant leg is longer than the other. it's something only ll cool j would be able to pull off.

I have a blue Mizuno and a black Koral.. been training at the academy for 6 months. Why would I want to wear a crap gi? Plus I never wear a dirty gi to practice.

Having more than 1 gi is convenient for laundry. Having a nice one that won't rip and fits well.. nothing wrong with that. I'm humble and I don't act like a douche when it's time to train.

This is sooooooo funny dude !... do you roll like that...???

yeah. i'm considering getting a new nice gi, though. i'm considering competing at the us open, so if i do, i pretty much have to get a new one.

i rolled in the cheapie-free gi for a full year before buying my black koral gi. people will judge you based on your attitude and your commitment to training. if you're in it for fashion, you've chosen the wrong sport.

i smell a troll, or a fashionista

I personally saved it as a reward for getting my blue. As soon as i got it, I went and bought a shoyoroll blackstar. That has sort of been a tradition at our club; the guys with lucky gis or whatever all bought them immediately after a promotion.

I think white belts with lots of disposable income are great for a gym - hopefully they're plunking down some of that mad cash for privates, and maybe they have nice cabins near Tahoe or something that you can stay at if the team travels for a tournament in that area.

Awesome.

It's your money, if you want to buy a nice gi, get it, they're usually worth the money.

I prefer solid blue, but that's my preference.

Meh, wear whatever you want.

I've had my Atama and Koral since forever. My only tip is avoid a black gi, it only makes the belt look whiter

now i understand why the guys who have been on this forum more than 2 or 3 years rarely post anymore. after a while the threads just repeat themselves over and over...

It's been particularly bad lately.

I don't even mind the repetition because that's just going to happen naturally. What I mind are these constant stupid whiny threads about what gis people are wearing, whether certain people should have been promoted when they did, why GSparky thinks he is an authority on grappling without having ever trained, etc.

Hopefully it is just a phase, and it will get back to normal soon. But I definitely post and read a lot less when there are stupid threads everywhere. There is just no point.

I don't really think it's a big deal. We don't have a school gi so when I first started I bought a gameness. It seemed like a reliable well known brand and the $$ wasn't really that big of a deal. Those brands you listed off are some great brands so I understand why people went out and got them.

im only allowing myself to buy a sick gi once i get my blue. need a blue belt!

I think red is a computer geek that compensates for his anti social behavior (sitting at the computer trolling) by practicing BJJ so the bodybuilders won't be able to kick his ass.

Getting mad that new users post duplicates, just move on and not post and hijack people's thread.... It's rude and you're a geek..... You don't own the 'new post' button girlfriend.....

Oh your pocket protector has ink all over it ... you troll feces..

lol, this has to be a joke... red is always helpful to anyone who posts. These "what color/kind of gi" posts come up all the time and the answer is always the same "who gives a sh$t what anyone wears"

I have 4 Gis about to be 5, 2 Judo generic Gis, a school Gi that cost me $130 dollars because my fat ass wouldn't fit on the cheapo one. I bought a Fuji right after although same size as 1st Gi it wouldn't fit so I bought 2 Judo ones that did for $40 bucks each. The 5th I get after 40 classes in my dojo and joining the advanced program.

Having more than 1 gi is convenient for laundry. Having a nice one that won't rip and fits well.. nothing wrong with that. I'm humble and I don't act like a douche when it's time to train.

ameb, qft.

I have a Koral gi and my training doesn't begin until Monday. Damnit......I'm already a BJJ douche.

A Gi doesn't make the grappler anyway. Most of the guys at my school are early twenties and teens so I probably have a little more cash to get a better Gi than they do but it doesn't make me better. Not that I have a shoyoroll or a Lucky but I had the money to buy the one I wanted so I did.... I think its the young guys that notice shit like that anyway.

Back