White Belt Getting Started

TimSilviaWannab

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. Well I am about to join a gym and I feel really dedicated this time. I am 25 years old and Im 6'3" and weigh 330lbs. I played Texas high school football with practices and workouts in 100+ degree weather. But as alot of people do after high school they get a little less active. I was around 230 in high school and I want that to be my goal for now. So my first question is do fat burners really work and could they be used while lifting? If not any better suggestions to losing wieght prety quick. I know it wont come overnight and I am willing to work for it. I feel I have a diet worked out to get me started. Just looking for some more tips. Thanks.

fat burners are really useless unless you really don't feel like changing your diet. Your best bet is to switch your diet completly to a more natural diet full of whole foods that have not been chemicaly altered from thier original form.

TimSilviaWannab said:
Hey guys. Well I am about to join a gym and I feel really dedicated this time. I am 25 years old and Im 6'3" and weigh 330lbs. I played Texas high school football with practices and workouts in 100+ degree weather. But as alot of people do after high school they get a little less active. I was around 230 in high school and I want that to be my goal for now. So my first question is do fat burners really work and could they be used while lifting? If not any better suggestions to losing wieght prety quick. I know it wont come overnight and I am willing to work for it. I feel I have a diet worked out to get me started. Just looking for some more tips. Thanks.

Just had a thought to, you might have a "mesomorph" body, so you might find it naturaly hard to cut weight. So dont get to hard on yourself :wink:

Wiseyoda said:
Just had a thought to, you might have a "mesomorph" body, so you might find it naturaly hard to cut weight. So dont get to hard on yourself :wink:

That would be "endomorph".

The idea that fat burners don't work is ludicrous. They are not a substitute to diet & exercise, but can help greatly combined with those things. You will cut fat a whole lot faster than diet/exercise alone.

1. Get your diet in check. Talk to a nutritionist, trainer, or someone knowledgable. You will need to calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate), then adjust calorie intake so that you are consuming well under maintenance calories. There is a calculator to do this on bodybuilding.com. You will need to know your bodyfat % though, your gym should be able to do that. Have them use a skin caliper, those electric things many gyms use are crap. Keep re-calculating your BMR as you lose weight & adjust your intake as necessary.

2. Start working out regularly. especially cardio. 1 mistake I see a lot of overweight guys doing is focusing way too much on lifting, & neglecting the cardio- Bench press for 20 sets, then 15 minutes on the treadmill & done. Make your focus at least 50% cardio until you have lost significant weight. I'm sure you have a good deal of muscle hiding already, there's no need to train like you're preparing for Mr Olympia. Lose the fat, then concentrate more on building muscle. You really won't be able to gain muscle in a caloric defecit anyway.

3. Fatburners are your choice, but I recommend it in your case with a lot of weight to lose. I have used caffeine/ephedrine stack with a lot of success. You don't need to spend a ton of money on trimspa or hyroxycut. you can get a bottle of both caffeine tabs & eph tabs for about $12 online. Green tea extract is also a good addition. If you want ephedra free, look for a reasonably priced option.

One word of warning for the "Fat Burners" is watch your blood pressure. A lot of them are just jacked up caffine pills that'll send you blood pressure through the roof. I tried them before and kept getting light headed when I was working out. Took my blood presuure and it was ridiculously high. Also another drawback to the fat burners is that after awhile your body gets used to haveing that extra jolt. If you stop taking them you'll be real tired for awhile while your body readjusts. When I was taking them regularly I'd be dragging ass in the morning till I took them to get me kick started. Not exactly the results I was looking for.

Ephedrine is also a stimulant and will affect your blood pressure and can cause heart rate palpitaions. Its not fun to have your heart rate spike to like 200 beats a minute. Scares the crap out of you.

Personally, I have written them off as more trouble than they are worth. I'd take the natural route. Why deal with all the possible side affects. Check your diet and get a good workout plan togehter.

yeah, if you were gonna go the fat burner route...I wouldn't recommend them at the beginning of your training. Start to get the diet and lifting basics down first. Find out what works and what doesn't work that way.

Don't touch the fat burners just yet. First correct your diet and do cardio. You will shed weight if you stick to this. If later on you feel like you stopped losing weight then you may want to consider the fat burner, but first try to loose some of the weight on your own.

BTW, green tea helps in dropping some weight. It did with me.

Wolverine
///

Wolverine said:
BTW, green tea helps in dropping some weight. It did with me.

This is very true. Grean Tea is very good for you. It has been suggested that it increases endurance in exercise by improving fat metabolism.

I am hooked on Grean Tea, I drink a whole tea kettle by myself every morning. It gives me an awesome sense of well being.

Resident A-hole said:
Fatburners are your choice, but I recommend it in your case with a lot of weight to lose. I have used caffeine/ephedrine stack with a lot of success. You don't need to spend a ton of money on trimspa or hyroxycut. you can get a bottle of both caffeine tabs & eph tabs for about $12 online. Green tea extract is also a good addition. If you want ephedra free, look for a reasonably priced option.

Do you have a link to purchase pure Ephedra (not ephedrine), or diet type pills containing Ephedra such as the classic supplements that you could buy at GNC before the BS ban?

It's been awhile since I've looked for some, however when I would occasionally take one or two Ephedra containing pill supplements I had incredible cardio, granted I was eating a lot of raw food, almost all organic, aside from my whey, chicken, tuna, ect.. and training very well. Though I felt the Ephedra, Ginseng, Green tea, Caffiene, ect.. helped out.

Obviously Ephedra and Caffeine would do a person little to no good whatsoever without a well planned and balanced diet and a good Cardio routine. But with a good program it will help out.

For the thread starter and whoever else might be considering supplements such as diet pills/Fat Burners just be sure you are educated and know facts about anything you are considering taking before putting it into your body.

Wow! Thanks for all the comments guys. Well I started my diet/workout this week and to be honest I am a little sore. Its only temporary I know. Im gonna try and do more cardio after a few weeks. Yeah I think I will stay away from the fat burners. I am eating chicken and tuna basically, oh and I got a bag of mahi mahi from Costco. Ive been eatin about 5-6 times a day. 2 of which being just veggies or fruit then chicken, fish etc. I also just got an email from my buddy back home wondering if I was going to Cozumel with them this year. :D Thanks for everyones contributions.
-TimSilviaWannab

Resident A-hole said:
The idea that fat burners don't work is ludicrous. They are not a substitute to diet & exercise, but can help greatly combined with those things. You will cut fat a whole lot faster than diet/exercise alone.
Whoa, Dexter.

He knows they work, but he was making the point, if you aren't willing to change your diet, then all the ECA in the world isn't gonna do shit. They help, but compared to diet and consistent cardio, they're nominal.

Ok, I was looking at all these Ephedra products and I came across this

http://www.gnp-healthcare.com/

Is this bullshit?

I always see advertised the 8mg tablets. I'm not really considering doing an ECA stack or anything. I'm just trying to increase my general nutrional knowledge.

Any help anyone?

Back