While Gus gave Jon all he could handle, is he truly the second best LHW?

IceAndFire**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes he gave Jones the toughest fight of his career, something nobody in the LHW division has done. However, is he truly the second best LHW? Would he beat Rashad, Machida at 205, Glover, Lil Nog, Davis in a rematch, etc.?

Do you see anyone in the division presenting a stylistic problem for him?

ezpfup.gif

Nah.

There's only one way to find out, but I can't see too many fighters beating the version of Gus that arguably beat Jones, who has clearly been the best for a long time and is still in the prime of his career. I would have Gus as the favorite based on what I've seen. But I wouldn't be shocked if Rashad, Davis, or maybe Glover beat him. Styles make fights. Gus had the right style and physical attributes to catch Jones off guard and almost beat him.

You could make the argument for either Gus, Davis or Rashad being the second best LHW in the division( and Machida before he moved to MW). Gus did lose to Davis and Rashad did beat Davis but I think Gus v Davis would be a close fight today and that Davis v Rashad would be the same . I think it's a tossup between Gus and Davis who've both improved each others wrestling and striking games dramatically. I'd give Gus the edge right now after that awesome fight but IMO it really can go either way.

Yupp Gus and Jones IMO are a step above the rest of the competition. As far as Gus is concerned I don't see anybody beating him after what we saw from him in the Jones fight.

Going in it was thought that Jones is one of the best wrestlers in MMA from an offensive and defensive stand point and Gus stuffed 90% of Jones takedowns(first time this has been done) and also became the first man to take down Jones. You can goes as far as saying Gus won the wrestling aspect of this fight. So if Jones has trouble with Gus in wrestling, do you think that Rashad, Davis, Glover or Bader would give him many fits in the wrestling department and plus he was able to pop right back up from the one takedown Jones got in the fight.

Even though he's primarily known as a striker, there is still alot he can improve on in the striking department such as defense and putting all of his tools together. That being said he still hit Jones more in one fight than he's been hit in his entire career up to that point and the problems Jones gave with Gus striking wise was his use of the fancy stuff such as weird high kicks and elbows, something a lot of the LHWs don't have. Mousasi is more technical oriented, Glover's too slow, same with Lil Nog, Dan's too one dimensional, Rashad really only uses his punches these days and the rest are just flat out brawlers, most of which he's already beaten.

So yeah as of now I don't see any stylistic nightmares for Gus.

If Glover loses a split decision to Jones, he would be the new number 2 LHW.

No, he's not the second best. He's the best. And no one in the division is beating prime Gustafsson.

Jones is the second best. Then there's a big gap between him and the rest of the division.

Yupp Gus and Jones IMO are a step above the rest of the competition. As far as Gus is concerned I don't see anybody beating him after what we saw from him in the Jones fight.

Why won't sherdoggers learn from their mistakes in judgement...

When Jones appeared, the majority here threw the 'but who has he beaten' logic at him. Same with Gus, same with Aldo, same with any fighter the champ hasn't yet fought.

Last week it was 'Gus will get taken down and finished within one round' or 'Jones beats him everywhere', now it's 'gus and Jones on another level'.

Its very hard to say....with guys like Glover and Gus.....they have only fought Jones, Rampage and Shogun, and that is combined. We havent seen them fight Rashad, Hendo, Rogerio, Machida who are proven top lhw's. A guy like Rashad has fought the best guys so we can asses where is compared to them.

No, he's not the second best. He's the best. And no one in the division is beating prime Gustafsson.

Jones is the second best. Then there's a big gap between him and the rest of the division.

It gives Gus a chance to beat one of the other fighters Jones has destroyed. If he wins then he deserves a rematch. He doesnt keep getting to fight just cause he gave him a good fight and didnt get finished. What, if they have another close one and Gus wins we have to watch another......BOORINGGG

It gives Gus a chance to beat one of the other fighters Jones has destroyed. If he wins then he deserves a rematch. He doesnt keep getting to fight just cause he gave him a good fight and didnt get finished. What, if they have another close one and Gus wins we have to watch another......BOORINGGG

I know, who wants to see rounds 6-10 of that snoozefest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back