which would you rather have

Just have biggass hands.

A lot of top BJJ guys have huge hands.

and how would you go about making that better

Same way you improve any other technique. Deliberate practice. Obviously we get a lot of implicit practice gripping in regular training, but it's worth taking a step back every so often and trying to make the small things better.

I'm not saying that raw strength doesn't help. Of course it does - just like everywhere else. But there's just as much technique in hand control as there is in guard passing or anything else we do, and strength alone gets you about as far as a white belt bodybuilder.

Being able to deadlift a fuckton and squeeze someone hard for 10 minutes are different things.

Yes, im just pushing back on the sentiment along the lines of 'hes not '''strong''' hes just good at holding on to guys' as if squeeze is not itself a physical capacity (or that physical capacity in itself is some sort of shameful thing).

Being able to deadlift a fuckton and squeeze someone hard for 10 minutes are different things.

Strength endurance goes up with strength.

You think you could grip a load longer than strongmen because “squeezing something hard for 10 mins is different to deadlifting?”

Strength endurance goes up with strength.
You think you could grip a load longer than strongmen because “squeezing something hard for 10 mins is different to deadlifting?”
I could squeeze someone or hold a grip longer than a lot of the guys I know who could lift a few times more weight than I do.
Haven't rolled with any strongmen ever.
Seeing Pudzianowski fight in MMA he didn't have much endurance of any kind.

Last edited:
Having a strong grip makes your life so much easier in go and no gi

Back