Which Weight Class In MMA Represents The "Everyman" or "Average Guy" Build?

discounting all the fat fucks waddling around, I'd say it's between Featherweight and Bantamweight. I'm leaning more towards Bantamweight because there are some big ass Featherweight like Zabit.

The average (non-obsese) guy walking down the street would most likely be a Bantamweight

Average BWs are 5"6 to 5"8 and narrower frames that is below what average height and wingspan is of white and black men in the US and Europe.

Most men would be LWs once they lost their fat and recomped their body with muscle. Some would be WW and a few would be MWs

Very few would be LHWs and almost none would be HWs

Those guys have a ton of muscle mass on them. The average 5"9 guy is mostly fat if he lost the fat and recomped his body he would be a LW. Some would be WWs

A few would be MWs

Very few would be LHW

Almost none would be legit HWs

Yeah the average UFC fighter has way more muscle bulk than the average guy could obtain.

Most guys who go to the gym don't ever look much different.

Average guy would probably be a LW without cutting much weight. FW if they cut a lot.

The average American is 5'9 195ish lbs and over 30% bodyfat. Let's assume they're only at 30% bf, meaning at 15% they'd be around 160 lbs. That's a FW. And since nearly everyone underestimates how much fat they have, I'd bet that many average Americans have the LBM of a modern BW.

Most LWs have A LOT more LBM than the average American.

Yeah but if they were to train (the average 5"9, 30% body fat 195lbs guy) as a top fighter the 5"9 would lose all that fat get to 160lbs then gain muscle and some of them would struggle to make FW. If he got down to 15% just from a cut and didnt do it properly he wouldnt be that strong and would weigh 160lbs but would benefit from a lean bulk to 170lbs then a water weight cut to make 155lbs then rehydrate and be 170lbs on fight night. It would be to his advantage to lean bulk again after he lost all his fat. But it does depenends on frame and metabolism, not all 5"8 to 5"10 guys are equal. And FW has a lot of 5"7ers. Conor is really 5"8 and maybe 1/2 , not the 5"9 he claims

If you are 5"10 and even when half ass training you naturally hover around 170lbs and you are not carrying a ton of visible fat then you likely have the genes to put more mass on. Some 5"10 guys are always rail thin and some are just easier to keep weight on and with training those guys can be jacked, GSP coach Firas was saying a lot of endomorphs have a good genes for wrestling or weight lifting as with proper training they can carry mass and be powerful.

Last edited:
FW or LW, average height at LW is 5'10.5 and they are usually much more muscular than most people, less fat, but muscles is much better and more dense than fat.

I'm 5"9' 167lb I think I can cut to 145 but with some bulk I think 155 would be my best weight.
About the Same stats as me lol

5'9 168lb. Currently bulking lol

From Jan 1 to July 15 this year I went from 190 to 155lb. It got pretty hard to cut any lower (summer BBQ's and Icecream made it tough lol). But If I gave it my all, I could make 145. But Like you, I think 155lb would be my best weight.

PrePandmic I was boxing and I thought I could make 147lb. If I fought that's the weightclass I would have went for.

It should be pointed out that a lot of UFC fighters height are slightly exaggerated by an inch or 2.

Are you sure? I thought the average American was tending towards being overweight if not obese. Aren't you all fat? ;)
I'm Canadian.

But I'm walking around at HW and I could probably cut to WW.

Last edited:
The average man in North America is 5'9 and 196lbs. The average man is also significantly overweight and is sporting a pot belly. If he was to lean out and become fit he'd probably weigh somewhere in the 160lbs-170lbs range. Factor in a weight cut and you have your answer.

About the Same stats as me lol

5'9 168lb. Currently bulking lol

From Jan 1 to July 15 this year I went from 190 to 155lb. It got pretty hard to cut any lower (summer BBQ's and Icecream made it tough lol). But If I gave it my all, I could make 145. But Like you, I think 155lb would be my best weight.

PrePandmic I was boxing and I thought I could make 147lb. If I fought that's the weightclass I would have went for.

It should be pointed out that a lot of UFC fighters height are slightly exaggerated by an inch or 2.

You realize if you were 155lbs you could cut water weight and make it to 145lbs? You can dehyrdate 10lbs to 15lbs it is tough 15lbs when you weigh below 200lbs but it can be done. Over 200lbs you can do more weight its a smaller % of your total weight

But you cut so much fat from 190lbs to 155lbs I assume you didnt cut slowly and lift hard entirely right? So your strength levels wouldnt be equal to an average FW.

When in doubt, double whatever people say they're bodyfat percentage is. Most people claim 20%, and that goes from people with a small amount of chub to near obese people lol.

Doubling that gives you 40%. Some 5'10 210lbs dude @40% gives you 126lbs LBM or 148lbs @15%. So BW it is for them.

Crazy when you think about it, since a lot of these guys have been over 200lbs since age 18. A genuine 210lbs MW/LHW would look GIANT compared to them. Paulo Costa fought at 214 lbs, for reference.
Middleweight in MMA is such a misnomer. There's nothing "middle" or "average sized" about those guys. Being 6'+ and 200lbs+ and in shape means you're big.

I’d say 170

Most of those guy are average height and walk around between 180-190lbs
Yes, but that's 180 lbs with low body fat. Most men that weigh as much have a gut at least.

Considering the massive population of India and China, it’s probably bamtamweight even if your average North American/European might be a lightweight.

155-170 with 185 and 145 being your nearest outliers depending on region

You realize if you were 155lbs you could cut water weight and make it to 145lbs? You can dehyrdate 10lbs to 15lbs it is tough 15lbs when you weigh below 200lbs but it can be done. Over 200lbs you can do more weight its a smaller % of your total weight

But you cut so much fat from 190lbs to 155lbs I assume you didnt cut slowly and lift hard entirely right? So your strength levels wouldnt be equal to an average FW.
Like I said, if I really tried I probably could have made 145. Though I felt pretty depleted at 155, but that was because I had been cutting for over 6 months.

I was a bloated 190lb guy when I started my cut. I probably lost like 10-15 pounds the first week from water weight bloat (a lot of bloat from holiday meals). I did cut slow, but I didn't lift heavy as most gyms around me were closed/restricted due to Covid. Basically did bodyweight exercises and running.

Murica' got a lots of Roy Nelson walking around tbh....
Let's not act like it's only Murica. This took place in Russia.

russian-mma-1024x536.jpg

Back