Which videocard should i get?

i5-7400.

There's very, very few games where that CPU is a limiter at 1080p. Here's Game Debate's "Most Demanding" list:
https://www.game-debate.com/games/most-demanding

About the only game where that CPU doesn't meet the recommended (not minimum) specs are upcoming games like the VR title Half-Life: Alyx. The i5-6600 is the recommended baseline for the recent Star Wars: Fallen Order, for example. Remember he named 60fps as his target. It doesn't sound like his 24" monitor is 144Hz.

FPS is all good and well but its the low's that get you.. maybe 60 FPS is good with that CPU but I could take a god bet that the 1% lows will be more..
Thats in my opinion and it comes from experience.. on machines i have.
Those website are good for basic info but i would never use it over real world usage.

https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=36620&game=Quake II RTX
Apparently the RTX 2060 and RX 5700 meet the minimum, so around $300-$330 if new.

But the RTX 2080 Ti is the only card that meets the recommended spec. FFS, it will take a $2K PC just to play that game comfortably. Also, these guidelines are always for the 1080p baseline.

<NightKingBringIt>

Hmm... maybe I’ll wait till next year then before i invest in a PC.

Quake II is among my favourite games of all time. When I heard of RTX and saw it in action I thought that was cool as hell. Then I heard about it’s specs. Yikes.

Hmm... maybe I’ll wait till next year then before i invest in a PC.

Quake II is among my favourite games of all time. When I heard of RTX and saw it in action I thought that was cool as hell. Then I heard about it’s specs. Yikes.
Yeah, I've been seeing some crazy rumors leaked about potential performance increases on both sides with the new architecture: Ampere for NVIDIA and RDNA 2.0 (Navi refresh) for AMD.

If this is the game you want to play I'd wait on those to drop to at least impact the pricing on the current gen of videocards. I mean, Jesus.

Yeah, I've been seeing some crazy rumors leaked about potential performance increases on both sides with the new architecture: Ampere for NVIDIA and RDNA 2.0 (Navi refresh) for AMD.

If this is the game you want to play I'd wait on those to drop to at least impact the pricing on the current gen of videocards. I mean, Jesus.

Yeah some of the rumours are 75% faster?!?!?!

Theres no way these companies are going to obsolete a whole range of video cards that are only a year old.
Id will say 25/30% like the generational jump has always been..
If they bring prices back to normality then we could have good cards on our hands ..
But they aint gonna do that ..
Looks like i keep my 1080ti for another 2 years .. Until i can get 50% increase in performance for 600

And AMD will release a 2080ti equivalent card for $600. AMD gpu rumors and what is released has been pretty disappointing.

And AMD will release a 2080ti equivalent card for $600. AMD gpu rumors and what is released has been pretty disappointing.

Yeah the whole current line up from AMD and Nvidia are completely pointless, just look at the rtx 2080/super pretty much the same performance as the gtx1080ti ... that's a 3 year old card at the same price and same performance??!?! anybody that bought a turing rtx card has been conned.

Yeah the whole current line up from AMD and Nvidia are completely pointless, just look at the rtx 2080/super pretty much the same performance as the gtx1080ti ... that's a 3 year old card at the same price and same performance??!?! anybody that bought a turing rtx card has been conned.
The price inflation NVIDIA perpetrated on the market with the RTX "ray-tracing" scam was criminal, indeed.

Best way to get an RTX 2080 Super is through a sale on a prebuild. I swear I never see sales on the discrete card for self-builders, ever. Like so:

The price inflation NVIDIA perpetrated on the market with the RTX "ray-tracing" scam was criminal, indeed.

Best way to get an RTX 2080 Super is through a sale on a prebuild. I swear I never see sales on the discrete card for self-builders, ever. Like so:

Thats a good deal.. i would hazzard a guess the PSU motherboard and case are complete shite.. but yeah its a good deal for the CPU and GPU

Pay the extra and get a 2070 super, runs eft like a charm (and every other game)

i would hazzard a guess the PSU motherboard and case are complete shite.. but yeah its a good deal for the CPU and GPU
Nope.

The motherboard is the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming. It's $150-$170 before tax & shipping:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nc...lga1151-motherboard-z390-phantom-gaming-sliac

The PSU is a 650W Gold, and most likely made by Great Wall or Sirtec. These gold prebuild PSUs have done done very well in testing. You're looking at a minimum $60 value in today's PSU market.

The case is the iBuypower Slate MR. Their cases are often manufactured by AZZA, but they source them from other top case manufacturers, too. Not sure about this one. It sports tempered, mirrored glass and 4xARGB fans (3 the front, 1 in the back). It has a mesh top for breathability. There's also a mesh intake to feed those fans along the side of the front panel on one side, and also the top & bottom. All in all I'd estimate a case value of around $70-$100 with that many fans by default:
08.Slate-MR-TopFront-1200.png

05.Slate-MR-BackNonSide-1200.png

Nope.

The motherboard is the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming. It's $150-$170 before tax & shipping:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nc...lga1151-motherboard-z390-phantom-gaming-sliac

The PSU is a 650W Gold, and most likely made by Great Wall or Sirtec. These gold prebuild PSUs have done done very well in testing. You're looking at a minimum $60 value in today's PSU market.

The case is the iBuypower Slate MR. Their cases are often manufactured by AZZA, but they source them from other top case manufacturers, too. Not sure about this one. It sports tempered, mirrored glass and 4xARGB fans (3 the front, 1 in the back). It has a mesh top for breathability. There's also a mesh intake to feed those fans along the side of the front panel on one side, and also the top & bottom. All in all I'd estimate a case value of around $70-$100 with that many fans by default:
08.Slate-MR-TopFront-1200.png

05.Slate-MR-BackNonSide-1200.png

They arent the same motherboards..

motherboards.jpg

The board on the left is the ASrock z390... god knows what that is in the ibuypower one.. could be a stripped down made for ibuypower cheapo from asrock but it aint the expensive full retail board.

They have to save money somewhere and this is it.. I would never use one of those PSU's either not bothered what the reviews or testing says.. its powering expensive shit.. so i aint taking the risk on cheapo parts.. and that case is garbage. Still though for the price it aint bad..

They arent the same motherboards..

View attachment 721823

The board on the left is the ASrock z390... god knows what that is in the ibuypower one.. could be a stripped down made for ibuypower cheapo from asrock but it aint the expensive full retail board.

They have to save money somewhere and this is it.. I would never use one of those PSU's either not bothered what the reviews or testing says.. its powering expensive shit.. so i aint taking the risk on cheapo parts.. and that case is garbage. Still though for the price it aint bad..
Aha, I checked more closely, and the motherboard is the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S-IB.

The "IB" must be the designation that it's branded for iBuyPower's proprietary sale, but here's that 4S variant on the mainline Phantom Gaming 4 board:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S/index.asp

Z390%20Phantom%20Gaming%204S(L2).png

The Phantom 4 is a $125 motherboard at Amazon.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nt...atx-lga1150-motherboard-z390-phantom-gaming-4
Specs:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp

Only differences:
  • The 4S has an 8x power phase design instead of a 10x power phase design
  • The 4S doesn't have a VGA or DVI-D port in the rear
  • The 4S's 4 x USB 3.1 ports are all all Gen1 (when the mainline board has two of those, and then a Type A & Type C Gen 2 Port)

Still a value above $100 without a doubt, and you're on the Z390 chipset.

Aha, I checked more closely, and the motherboard is the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S-IB.

The "IB" must be the designation that it's branded for iBuyPower's proprietary sale, but here's that 4S variant on the mainline Phantom Gaming 4 board:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S/index.asp

Z390%20Phantom%20Gaming%204S(L2).png

The Phantom 4 is a $125 motherboard at Amazon.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nt...atx-lga1150-motherboard-z390-phantom-gaming-4
Specs:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp

Only differences:
  • The 4S has an 8x power phase design instead of a 10x power phase design
  • The 4S doesn't have a VGA or DVI-D port in the rear
  • The 4S's 4 x USB 3.1 ports are all all Gen1 (when the mainline board has two of those, and then a Type A & Type C Gen 2 Port)

Still a value above $100 without a doubt, and you're on the Z390 chipset.

Yeah its still not that board.. I have google searched for the last 5 mins trying to find that board.. nothing.. my guess is its complete dog shit..

Found it ..

anHL3aQcDS8FSnwoKtwETM.jpg

So whatever they have done .. they have taken this base board Z370M and put Z390 chipset on it?
maybe .. its the same board though cosmetically .. unless it is a Z370 this PC comes with..

This board actually has half decent reviews..

Last edited:
Yeah its still not that board.. I have google searched for the last 5 mins trying to find that board.. nothing.. my guess is its complete dog shit..
I don't know where you picked up this prejudice, but it feels like you want to believe it's dogshit. I've noticed this bias among many builders around the web, and my guess is they want to believe this because they don't want to admit to themselves that they could have gotten a better deal by buying rather than building, and that their "skill" doesn't really have much tangible value beyond being a hobby, or for repair/upgrading.

The motherboard is the one component that tends to vary with these prebuilds, but there are half a dozen owners in that Best Buy Q&A (and on Reddit citing this model number) quoting that it is this board, or the regular ASRock Phantom Gaming 4. The pictures for distribution aren't always consummately accurate. iBuyPower and CyberPowerPC's motherboards are always Asus, ASRock, or Gigabyte motherboards.

No, the case isn't shit. The SSD isn't shit. The motherboard isn't shit. The PSU isn't shit.

Get over your bias. It's stupid.

They have the same one with a 2070 Super for $1299.

I don't know where you picked up this prejudice, but it feels like you want to believe it's dogshit. I've noticed this bias among many builders around the web, and my guess is they want to believe this because they don't want to admit to themselves that they could have gotten a better deal by buying rather than building, and that their "skill" doesn't really have much tangible value beyond being a hobby, or for repair/upgrading.

The motherboard is the one component that tends to vary with these prebuilds, but there are half a dozen owners in that Best Buy Q&A (and on Reddit citing this model number) quoting that it is this board, or the regular ASRock Phantom Gaming 4. The pictures for distribution aren't always consummately accurate. iBuyPower and CyberPowerPC's motherboards are always Asus, ASRock, or Gigabyte motherboards.

No, the case isn't shit. The SSD isn't shit. The motherboard isn't shit. The PSU isn't shit.

Get over your bias. It's stupid.

If you bothered to read my post.. I actually say the board has decent reviews..

Sorry buddy but that case is shit.. thats my opinion, its fucking horrible.

Also I wouldn't take what people leave in a comment section as fact either, they could be talking shite.. Like I say .. ibuypower have to make money by cutting corners, so they put in a shit PSU and shit motherboard and a shit case.. thats what I think and i dont care if you think Im bias.. and yes I could be stupid.. whats your excuse?

relax bro its just people talking shit on the internet

Just get a 1080ti if you can find one cheap.

Back