1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Which UFC fighters have similar style as junior hitter Witter?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ogata, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Ogata Silver Belt

Junior comes from ingle style boxing and he was very heavy on switch hitting. He had power:

2. XThe GreatestX Silver Belt

No one. they don't really teach that style ( in boxing or mma). And rightfully so as you need a really special fighter to do so. The closest today is Billy Joe Saunders who trained with Dominick Ingle.

Naz did the same sorta deal as well but that was 20 years ago

Lawrence likes this.
  3. FIghtxIQ Black Belt

It can be taught. People just don't understand it enough to be able to teach it. The ones that figured it out know how they did it, and what they did in order to be able to do it. It's hard to figure out by the people that can't do it, because it goes against all the rules and unless you can do it yourself you won't understand much of what is going on in the techniques and movements. I've seen people trying to teach/learn it. They have a basic understanding of it, but nothing deep. That's why they aren't able to effectively fight while doing it yet.

Like Conor has been working on switch hitting for awhile but he has never looked comfortable in orthodox. Like his most recent fight with Poirer he would switch but couldn't do anything in terms of offense/defense. Just shows he doesn't have a real understanding of switch hitting and the training they are doing for switch hitting doesn't translate over to anything they are actually able to do in a real fight. That's just one example of it.

Ogata likes this.
  4. XThe GreatestX Silver Belt

well the truth is it relies on thing that can get you hurt. notably not blocking the shots, but moving your head backwards (notably used by Naz) which is what got him in trouble vs Barrera who used straight shots exclusively

a lot of fighters in the 40's and 50s did similar stuff but the gloves were a lot smaller and flimsier back then so it was a necessity as blocking was not an option. they had to learn to move their head and body around to avoid shots

5. FIghtxIQ Black Belt

Not really, those are just certain peoples style with it. You can have your hands up switch hitting if you want, most just keep hands down because they have a greater understanding of range and head movement so most switch hitters keep their hands low. It's because they can read strikes well and gauge distance well, those type of fighters would keep their hands low even if they aren't switch hitters. Like Floyd for example, he keeps his hands low all the time, all Philly shell slick style fighters keep their hands low and they aren't all switch hitters. Floyd is considered the greatest defensive boxer and he keeps his hands low.

6. Ogata Silver Belt

Exactly!

Brendan Ingle teaches his fighters to switch. Most trainers do not let their guys switch and they instill the idea that switch hitting is terrible. In reality its an art and science that needs to be studied so that the correct patterns can be trained for the best result.

Khabib Khanate and FIghtxIQ like this.
  7. FIghtxIQ Black Belt

Yes very true, I heard it throughout my training. I did it anyway and figured out my own style, just like every switch hitter did.

Khabib Khanate and Ogata like this.
  8. Ogata Silver Belt

Its a shame that it is shunned. Don't get me wrong, I don't think everyone should be a switch hitter per say. But I was a trainer, I would want my pupils to have combination or a move set that takes advantage of this style. Like someone can be 20 percent switch hitter and some can be 60 percent switch hitter in terms of how often they switch or utilize the ability.

A switch hitter who can punch hard, fight in a switch-stance from both stance as well as having quick feet is a deadly fighter.

Khabib Khanate and FIghtxIQ like this.
  9. FIghtxIQ Black Belt

I think the number one reason most are against it is because it isn't what they learned or were taught. It isn't a style that is primarily taught, it also breaks all the rules so it's very hard to understand it or to figure out how it works. Plus in order to be capable in both stances you have to practice/drill equally on each side. That's double the work. People are starting to realize how effective it is when done right and people are working on it. But very few can actually do it even in high level boxing there is only a few. Even less are able to properly teach it. It's always going to be best learning from someone that can actually do that style and not just teach from what they see in someone else's style. They won't fully understand it and won't understand any of the movements, they'll understand some basic movements and set ups from seeing it, but they won't be able to teach the finer details that only someone that can actually do it would know and understand.

Like take Bud Crawford for example, they told him not to do that at first but he kept doing it. Now they just let him do it but his trainers and coaches don't understand it like Bud does. So they let Bud do his thing when he does the switch hitter style because Bud understands it since he built that style himself. His coaches/trainers talk about it during fights, they have said when Bud wants to switch he'll switch, he knows when to do all that. Not exact words but that's the overall theme of it. It's up to Bud's discretion when and what he does with his switch hitter style, since he's the one that fully understands it.

Khabib Khanate and Ogata like this.
  10. Ogata Silver Belt

Double the work for sure but one thing I noticed is, when I train both sides, its actually healthier for my body. Like imagine weight training only one arm. I find that if I train both stance, then I feel like it takes longer to over train. That and I also have a bum knee on right side and if its south paw its easier to be be leading. That and I train in judo/sambo and you want your dominant side forward for throws.

I also re-read my post, I also meant that if someone is a side-stance switch hitter, they are much more deadlier if they can master it. Standing side ways makes you hard to hit. You are a smaller target but of course it lacks head movement because your side way. Now if someone has great footwork, can switch successfully, they are dangerous fighter since they can throw sneaky crosses and have great lead hand that is forward and closer to opponents face since side ways does increase reach.

Brendan Ingle once told Naseem Hamed that " my style is not perfect, but that's how innovation works, take my style and you evolve it to something better"

I agree with Brendan but Naseem had a fall out and never really studied the inner workings of switch hitting. Junior Witter is good but he seems to does is as a habit and its natural for him as oppose to something he studied and perfected. He also seems a bit casual with it in terms of just boxing at a medium pace and isn't really going after it.

Khabib Khanate likes this.
  11. Street Samurai Blue Belt

Holy.damn, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I don't think anybody in mma has a style similar to him, and even in boxing, he was pretty unique (him and naz)

12. Ogata Silver Belt

They train at the same gym. Ingle boxing!

13. Street Samurai Blue Belt

Yeah i know. Brooks also trained/train there, but his style is much more orthodox than these two

14. Ogata Silver Belt

True, Brooks seemed like a conventional boxer and Johnny Nelson was similar to Hearns and I don't recall switch hitting.