Which top 5 LW has a better chance against the WW champ in super fight?

Tevfik1907

Being P4P No.1 = GOAT Requirement
Banned
Reaction score
Since Usman and Colby usually likes to beat up former failed 155ers like Jorge, Burns and post-prime RDA etc. How about the current top 5 of LW division, who would've a better chance in a hypothetical super fight between LW champ and WW champ if one of the top 5 wins the LW belt?

C- Oliveira
1- Poirer
2- Gaethje
3- Dariush
4- Chandler
5- Islam

I think Oliveira is perfect for 155, not big or not small, he even considers to go back to FW if UFC gives him the chance to fight for FW belt in a super fight, when he says he want FW super fight, obviously, he wouldn't consider a super fight between WW, also even against Chandler he didn't look big, even though he is taller and he isn't thick. He probably wouldn't do good at WW especially not against the Champ Usman, maybe against Colby, since Colby usuallly doesn't do a lot of gnp, Oliveira's submissions might be problem for Colby.

Poirer has a good chance, he recently said he was 190 lbs when fighting at FW, he is probably bigger than Khabib, and one of the biggest LWs, he agreed to fight with Nate Diaz at 185 lbs, he isn't afraid of Nate's size, which means he believes he is as big as Nate. Colby also said Poirier was slightly fatter than he was when they working together, although I never thought that means the same size, he is just a little fatter for his size. I think Poirier might have better chance than Jorge, Burns and Oliveira

Gaethje, although I never heard Gaethje is big enough to be a WW, he is definitely not a small LW, he is the sparring partner of Usman, and Usman even revealed that Gaethje broke his nose during their sparrings. Perhaps he might not be as successful as Poirier at WW, but still I wouldn't underestimate him either, it would be hard to take down, he has a very good TDD, can kill Usman's or Colby's legs, and can punch hard. It would be definitely hard to put him down.

Dariush, he has very good ground game and a KO power, he might be a good match-up even though he might not be mobile enough to control the octagon against a bigger guy, still he needs a 5 rounds fight to prove his cardio, he didn't fight for 5 rounds yet.

Chandler is also not a small LW, but the size difference would be too much between Usman, and his chin is not so good, his cardio is not so good at his age, he didn't fight for 5 rounds since 2018, I think Chandler would be the weakest link here.

Islam, I think Islam also has a good chance at 170, like Poirier and Gaethje. He is technical, and has very good TDD, it would be a striking match, although Usman would be still favorite, but not sure about Colby match-up.

It comes down to simple MMA math, realy.

CAGtqCeUwAALfXX.png

None of them stand a chance, best chance would be Chandler only because he's the best at bull rushing in and could get really lucky.

Islam, just because he's fucking huge and can grapple with Usman, but usman would probably knock him out. Really, they should all stay at LW though.
None of them are undefeated, so why not risk it? No one would blame them if they lose, and if they somehow win, low risk big reward by being double champ. Even Adesanya took that chance despite being undefeated and lost it. These guys won't even take the chance of losing their undefeated status like Adesanya, because none of them are.

None of them are undefeated, so why not risk it? No one would blame them if they lose, and if they somehow win, low risk big reward by being double champ. Even Adesanya took that chance despite being undefeated and lost it. These guys won't even take the chance of losing their undefeated status like Adesanya, because none of them are.
RDA wasted multiple years of his prime fucking around at 170

Honestly this thread is an exercise in why BJ Penn is underrated at this point in terms of all-time legacy. Dude went to WW and won the title off Hughes.

Gilbert Burns is the only other LW who transitioned to WW that I can think of that's had real success. I guess Masvidal but he's a paper tiger really, I mean he's decent but his title shots were totally undeserved and he really never had an elite win unless we're counting Till was it? and Askren on a fluke flying knee. Never truly was or is elite at WW. But he's also a good LW to WW example.

It's honestly hard to think of any that had real success. Lee, Chiesa, RDA all really didn't. Matt Serra? lol

Nobody . In this particular circumstance, size matters +/ talented Usman has evolved to a pound for pounder.

Usman would be a mild favorite agsinst khabib ..... let that sink in.

Islam, just because he's fucking huge and can grapple with Usman, but usman would probably knock him out. Really, they should all stay at LW though.
Can Makhachev grapple with Usman though? I can't see Makhachev getting him down at all.

Can Makhachev grapple with Usman though? I can't see Makhachev getting him down at all.

I think he would be the better grappler, but I think the fight would ultimately take place on the feet.

None, Usman is just far too big and strong. Usman primarily being a wrestler/grappler makes it worse then if he were a striker with the same size advantage and for that reason Usman beating apartheid Israel Adesanya is more likely than any LW beating him.

Khabib would have had the best chance due to better grappling and granite chin but even then it would have been a big ask of him to overcome Usman's huge size and strength advantage.

Back