Which Thai Pads?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Cous Cous Lad, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Hi Guys,

I'm looking to invest in a set of thai pads so I can do some extra work outside of classes. I'm pretty new to Muay Thai so i really need to get a few more hours of practice in than the 2 hours a week I get down at the gym.

I've narrowed it down to 3 brands:

The curved Fairtex pads ( Fairtex Thai Kick Pads Standard - Thai Pads - Focus Mitts & Thai Pads MMA clothing, MMA Equipment )

The Twins velcro pads ( Thai Kick Pads, Twins Kick Pads MMA clothing, MMA Equipment )

or

These MTG pads ( MTG mtkp002 Leather Thai Kick Pads MMA clothing, MMA Equipment )

Has anyone had any experience using any of these pads? What are you thoughts?

The MTGs are about

2. Bashir Ahmad Orange Belt

I dont have any experience with the MTG.
    I have a pair of twins. They are two years old and look and feel freakin brand new.
    Fairtex makes good stuff and I like the curved pad approach. But I would say generally speaking the Fairtex and the Twins are the same.
    If you were gonna get just one pair. I would go with Boon. Amazing stuff.

3. Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

I'd go with the extra thick thai pads if Fairtex and the medium or large Twins thai pads...

4. Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

I used MMApak's large Twins day for a year and a half and they are still new. I currently use a pair of medium Twins and love them.

5. Stifton White Belt

We have them all were i train so i can tell you the differance.

The fairtex ones are better if your going to be punching aswell as kicking. They have a sweet spot in the middle to aim for.

The twins ones are really solid and will last for ever. They help alot with shin conditioning as the padding is the firmest off the lot.

The mtg ones that we have are their small ones. They are decent quality but wont last as long as the other two. The pad holder can feel something through them(that might be due to our being thinner) .

It all depends on what your after, if you want to punch go with fairtex. I can also recommend boon as they look friken sexy and are solid as hell.

Also, fightstoremma is a great site, i order fro them all the time and they have brilliant customer service.

6. Thanks guys.

Really appreciate the sound advice.

Since they seem to be hard wearing and also good for the shin conditioning, I think I'm going to go with the Twins pads.

The Boon ones do look amazing, but I just can't afford the extra few pounds.

Also, i don't want my kit to be that much better than my current level of ability!

Thanks again.

7. MMAGearZone White Belt

thai pads are hard to buy because not eveyrone sells them by the pair. make sure whatever you buy is for both units. i have seen them on other sites where they sell singles and you think you are getting a great deal.

i have used twins before and really liked them. definately prefer the curved over flat. i hate flat thai pads.

there are also mini-thai pads that you can get that some a bit smaller but that are perfect for taking around with you anywhere as they dont take much space in the bag.

8. fightstuff Green Belt

interesting thread. long time since ive posted on sherdog. im going to copy and paste from something i wrote a few days ago that will probably help you out.

Things have developed a little with the Thai pads over the last year or so. Previously you would just get a straight rectangular pad. However nowadays you are getting different shapes and curved pads. Below is my take on the different brands:

Fairtex - Their new curved pad is very good. A little on the pricey side and some people say it's a bit soft for their liking.

Twins - Not really changed their construction or design of the pads since releasing them around 10 years ago. Still a good quality solid pad.

Thaismai - Same as Twins.

Windy - Same as Twins.

Boon - Very high quality pad. However people have been saying the padding is rock hard recently.

Sandee - I cant comment on, because I have never physically seen or used the pads.

MTG - Budget pad. It does the job but dont expect to get years of usage out of them.

Top King - Good quality pad. Different to a lot of the pads currently on the market, because they are slightly smaller and shaped differently. Very easy to use pad due to the ergonomically designed construction.

9. Rado Blue Belt

I have used MTG and Twins and personally I would go with Twins. They last forever.

10. I see made4fighters.co.uk have got the small Boon pads for the same kind of price as the larger Twins or Fairtex.

What do you guys think of smaller pads? We've only got the larger (2 straps and a handle) style of pads at my gym, so I haven't got any experience in using them.

Are they a lot more difficult to use?

So basically, I would say we're talking the medium/large Twins vs the small Boon pads.

What do you think?

Thanks again for your help. You guys really seem to know your stuff!

11. MMAGearZone White Belt

make sure you dont limit your search to only the mentioned companies.
    while they are all reputable and good, there are many others out there as well that are very good also.

hayabusa has a new series of thai pads that are pretty sharp. they come without the curve but with a nice beefy foam.

kimura has probably the best of the bunch due to their ReActive Foam inserts. it dissipates the energy differently than a standard foam pad would giving the hitter a bit of rebound at the point of contact.

combat sports makes several pairs that run from cheap to very expensive. they generally work pretty well but their overall durabilty is questionable. though you can into them cheaper so it balances out.

revgear makes what i would consider to be the most average of all styles. i see them in alot of places and have never been impressed. the velcro wraps wear down extremely fast and the padding they use is poor quality. within 6 months you will have a defined kick pattern. our gym had them and we broke them in half within the first year.

amber sports makes a set that are around $100 or so. but they are hard as rocks and never break in. i train at another camp where we are on our 3rd year with them and nobody will use them because they are so hard to kick and punch.

12. TwoFour Lowkick Orange Belt

I have the fairtex ones and love them. I have some guys who i train with who regularly left welts and bruises on my arms from other thai pads (mostly twins). These are great. They're a pleasure to kick as well.