Which takedown defenses are banned in UFC?

If the person getting slammed can let go of something, technically it's not a spike. So if you're going for a submission and can let it go to avoid a spike it's not illegal (JDS vs Cain 3) I would also assume that the spike would also have to be intentional to be considered a foul, so if you land on your head from a suplex or something, I assume you're not gonna get called for it.

The rule just states you're not allowed to do it without any clarification that I'm aware of. I wish they would pay more attention to this; I think what happens is the spike occurs, the ref sees the guy is not badly injured and decides to not ruin the match for a non-issue. But sooner or later someone is going to break their neck when 4000 pounds of pressure comes down on a vertebrae. That and eye pokes are the only moves I think people should legitimately be worried about for ruining the entire sport by maiming someone in a non-freak accident. Kneeing someone with his hand on the ground is just going to break a nose or something, not paralyze them.

The standup forum is so strange. Nothing but troll threads and TMA guys arguing about Karate.

The rule just states you're not allowed to do it without any clarification that I'm aware of.

MMA rules are tough to find the expanded versions of things, but if you listen to Big John or Herb Dean occasionally they will quote extended versions I have never heard. However...

'27.. Spiking the opponent to the canvas onto the head or neck (pile-driving)

A pile driver is considered to be any throw where you control your opponent's body placing his feet straight up in the air with his head straight down and then forcibly drive your opponents head into the canvas or flooring material. It should be noted when a fighter is placed into a submission hold by their opponent, if that fighter is capable of elevating their opponent they may bring that opponent down in any fashion they desire because they are not in control of their opponents body. The fighter who is attempting the submission can either adjust their position, or let go of their hold before being slammed to the canvas."

via http://abcboxing.com/unified_mma_rules.pdf

So for example the spike at 2.13 in this video is not illegal under unified rules (though it's a great way to get your arm broken)

Also for those who are interested, this goes over the rules pretty well. Including causing your opponent to foul you not being illegal (for example getting kneed in the head while shooting on one knee)

What? No way man, Aikido was LEGIT back in the day! It's just these modern gyms that don't train it properly, but my old fashioned dojo does it the original way and...

But yeah, magic powers from the word go.

Back