Which style is hindered the most from current rules/gloves

Fahcough

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Striking
Wrestling
Submissions

I see arguments from a few sides that the rules benefit the other style more than the one that person likes. Gloves pad hands allowing more carefree punching and they make grappling harder. No knees, kicks to head of grounded opponent save the wrestlers from failed takedowns. Back of head strike rule seems to shrink and grow with refs making you hesitate on GnP. No fence grab makes it tougher to naturally stop a takedown or spring back up. Stalemate gets you stood up instead of having to work an escape. There are a few more but I keep listening to radio and forgetting to hit submit.

Edit in: The 5 minute rounds don't always allow enough time for ground game to be effective like the 10 minute 1st would.

Last edited:
id say grappling. big ass gloves can make sinking in chokes a pain in the ass

I love in a real fight how Im able to naturally defend takedowns by grabbing the chain link fence that I carry around with me

Wu Shu

FistOfLegend-08-400-sg.gif

Last edited:
It depends. When defending against a RNC the gloves help, when applying it, they hinder. So are the gloves good or bad for grappling?

With regards to striking it's the opposite, defensively smaller gloves hinder you, offensively it is easier to do more damage.

Overeem is a striker, and his K1 game had to be adapted to suit 4oz gloves, that was a hindrance to him, even as a striker.

Some other strikers are at an advantage, like JDS, because his accuracy has a greater effect.

The business rule hinders the style of two dudes laying on the ground and holding each other for 5 minutes. Most people don't want to pay to watch that.

It depends. When defending against a RNC the gloves help, when applying it, they hinder. So are the gloves good or bad for grappling?

With regards to striking it's the opposite, defensively smaller gloves hinder you, offensively it is easier to do more damage.

Defensively smaller gloves are great for fighters whose defense relies on upper body/head movement and footwork like Anderson Silva. They're great because for every strike that your opponent misses you can make him pay much more since your punches are faster and more powerful because of the smaller gloves. Imagine a prime Roy Jones Jr with smaller gloves who would have even faster counters.

Defensively smaller gloves are great for fighters whose defense relies on upper body/head movement and footwork like Anderson Silva. They're great because for every strike that your opponent misses you can make him pay much more since your punches are faster and more powerful because of the smaller gloves. Imagine a prime Roy Jones Jr with smaller gloves who would have even faster counters.
I guess so, I was referring to covering up and catching punches being harder.

I guess so, I was referring to covering up and catching punches being harder.

Yes I know and I agree. I just added this because being able to defend with your hands down is one of the most underrated aspects of MMA. People think it's showboating but when mastered it's devastating especially with the small gloves. Silva and Fedor are great examples of that.

The business rule hinders the style of two dudes laying on the ground and holding each other for 5 minutes. Most people don't want to pay to watch that.
Most people know that's not "as close 2 a real fight...) Blah, blah, blah!

Wrestling/grappling. Romero would be lethal. He'd take guys down and stomp on their head before they could even react.

Submissions for sure, the other guy just always grabs the glove.

The ones affected the most are submission grapplers who attempt to submit the other guy.

The gloves get in the way of sinking in chokes
Not allowed to wear Gis in order to have better grip on the opponent
Not allowed to wear shiny rainbow pants the better to grip the opponent with
Short 5 minute rounds

Back