Which style is best??

quikkick

Technical Brilliance, Prowess, and Analysis
@Orange
Reaction score
I started this forum to expound upon a timeless cliche in the world of combat sports.
There are countless threads making claims to which style is best; "Boxing vs. Kickboxing vs. Karate vs. Muay Thai vs. Taekwondo vs. Wing Chun vs Silat" etc. etc.

The arguments are ridiculous, since the respective methods of attack posess more commonalities than differences (jab vs backfist, cross vs reverse punch, teep vs. front kick, roundhouse kick, hook, sidekick(nearly universal)

When speaking of striking the most fundamental element is so often missed: Footwork.

Someone who is conscious of their relative distance can defeat anyone when this knowledge is used to their advantage: a boxer who can crowd the karateka to launch power shots on the inside and negate kicks, a TKD practitioner that can use a leadleg side kick and keep a powerful Muay Thai kicker off balance and out of range.

The easiest way to control distance is Footwork. Being able to move in and strike without it being effectively returned. Is the bottom line. It doesn't matter if you swing an axe or a hammer, Can you close and open the gap when you need to??

examples:
Kenpo Karate vs MT
Video RITC 70 - Ray Elbe vs Leonard Wilson - rage, in, the, care, ufc - Dailymotion Share Your Videos

Ali "the greatest"
YouTube - Ali Shuffle

Iron Mike
YouTube - Mike Tyson Training Highlight Reel From www.mike-tyson.info
YouTube - Mike Tyson Training Highlight Reel From www.mike-tyson.info

MT vs. TKD
YouTube - Jerome Le Banner VS Yong Soo Park

karate/tkd vs muay thai
YouTube - WCL - Raymond "The Real Deal" Daniels vs Chris Decaro

P.S. We'll address timing vs speed later.........

I just like the Dutch style of Muay Thai/

Thanks for the vids, but dude. You might just be wasting your time lol

There are two types of people on sherdog:

1. Paper tigers who live on sherdog and talk about training, maybe they even do some fighting at home or with friends but don't actually go to a legit gym under the supervision and coaching of a pro. You'll either never convince these people, or they'll pretend like they know what you're talking about because they have read on the internet or in a book something very similar to what you said, so it's pointless either way.

2. Guys who train full contact and are already sparring/fighting, who do whatever karate/MT/boxing/etc - they already know what you're talking about, so it's also pointless.

Boxing mixed with knees in the clinch and leg kicks.

No because they don't train the hands as much.

Correct me if I am wrong, and I very well might be (I know nothing of international Muay Thai... I'm a kickboxing guy), but isn't Dutch Muay Thai just Muay Thai mixed with Boxing. Not sure where I heard it but that's what I thought it was

Ambertech: I am trying to "edutain" some of these "paper tigers" on the web.

Everyone else: Re-read the post and watch the vids kids.

Basically Muay Thai with extreme emphasizes on Western boxing, kicks from Kyokushin Karate and TKD like front kicks and axe kicks, take downs from San Shao and elusiveness from Karate.

Depends. Are there rules? Eye gouges? Groin shots? Wing Chun, Krav Maga, kajukenpo and various other martial arts all go for the nuts and eyes. But DaDiazBros sums it well.

Aikido, the rumor on youtube is that aikido is banned from the ufc because it is to dangerous.

Aikido, the rumor on youtube is that aikido is banned from the ufc because it is to dangerous.

I hope this is a joke right? forgive me if I'm too dumb to take this jokingly..

Thanks for the vids, but dude. You might just be wasting your time lol

There are two types of people on sherdog:

1. Paper tigers who live on sherdog and talk about training, maybe they even do some fighting at home or with friends but don't actually go to a legit gym under the supervision and coaching of a pro. You'll either never convince these people, or they'll pretend like they know what you're talking about because they have read on the internet or in a book something very similar to what you said, so it's pointless either way.

2. Guys who train full contact and are already sparring/fighting, who do whatever karate/MT/boxing/etc - they already know what you're talking about, so it's also pointless.

Well said.

Basically Muay Thai with extreme emphasizes on Western boxing, kicks from Kyokushin Karate and TKD like front kicks and axe kicks, take downs from San Shao and elusiveness from Karate.

Some insightful analysis here. There are several techniques from different arts that can be well employed....I always wanted to learn judo for throws and takedowns in close. Low kick and clinch from Muay Thai, sidekick, turnback, axe, and spinning kicks from TKD/Karate,
Boxing's combinations, footwork and defense, Judo's throws, JJ's submissions.

Aikido utilizes a lot of small joint manipulation, which is illegal in MMA.

no, small joint manipulation is banned hence alot of the techniques used in aikido are banned.

I think the best hybrid striking style would be

The clinch work, knees, kicks and elbows from Muay Thai.
The footwork and punch kick combos from Savate
The head movement and hand skills from boxing.

The reason I said footwork in regards to Savate is because I think its alot more relevant when kicks are brought into the equation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back