which school would you choose?

D

DKM76

A) train @ renzo gracie's place where there are 30 or so people in the class where you sacrifice the personal attention given to you but you get to train with the best students / teachers out there.

or

B) train with a black belt under Renzo Gracie where there are 7 - 10 students at any given time and you get the personal attention

I would say A.

I think the extra benefit you get from training with lots of excellent students and teachers outweighs the benefit of personal attention.

I am basing this upon my own personal learning style. That style is to learn more or less by rolling with more experienced opponents, feeling firsthand what their best moves are, and trying to copy them myself.

Some people like specific individual instruction better. But for me, I would choose A.

A. Given Renzo is a top notch guy, not only for his grappling but a real cool guy. His students will give you all the personal attention needed. The more people you train with the more your game evolves. If you keep training with the same guys all the time you get used to a certain type of game. Keep it fresh and train with as many guys you can.

whose the Renzo BB....are you talking about Ricardo's new school in NJ???

b if you are starting out so you can get jujitsu 101 out of the way...that and until you've gotten some experience and maybe got your blue.

I train with gene dunn (Renzo BB), and i cant imagine growing any quicker in terms of technique. The advantage i can see of going to Renzo's academy is the guys you'll get to roll with, for me its always the same 10 or so guys.

Shaldag said:
I train with gene dunn (Renzo BB), and i cant imagine growing any quicker in terms of technique. The advantage i can see of going to Renzo's academy is the guys you'll get to roll with, for me its always the same 10 or so guys.
I also train by Gene, amazing coach, somtimes we have 6 guys per class somtimes 14 depends on the day.

Shaldag said:
Yea, I also train by Gene, there are somtimes like 14 guys in a class, and somtimes 6

Go train with Renzo. He has a world class facility, world class instructors, with world class students/competitors. You'd get good really quick in that kind of an environment.

In any case, it sounds like either option you pick, you'd still come out ahead. Good luck and have fun training.

I'd train with Renzo. Even if you don't get quite the personal attention from Renzo you may crave, you got so many other great students and competitors to take you under their wings and help you, that you'll get personal attention from probably multiple other qualified sources.

I guess that depends on how you learn, and how both those guys teach. Sometimes the advantage of having the more experienced teacher is they've been teaching so long if something goes wrong they'll know right away what it is, the guys who are good but less experienced sometimes don't pick up on it quite as quickly or well. There's also the issue that if you learn well from doing then having lots of guys to roll with at Renzos might be an advantage, if you learn well from lots of direct teaching then the other guy might be better. It also depends on how much room there is, is 30 people cramped or is there still plenty of space?

I train at Renzos and I must say, you get the proper attention you need regardless of what you think. There are usually 2 blackbelts on the mat checking everyone's technique and if you have a question you can always ask them. Very laid back, and I miss training and miss the hospitality they gave me. Great fuckin people. Take a class man.

Back