Which School Lunch from Around the Would you Pick?

Singapore for the win on the website...out of the three above...Korea...and the U.S. is just horrible...photo here and rest on website. Czech Republic looks kinda good to me as does Slovakia...

enhanced-buzz-19005-1302804490-18.jpg

FYI: For kids from 7 ~ 16, our schools have minimum of 10 stalls to purchase our food from. Typically in ratio of 1 Indian, 2 Malay, 1 Japanese/Korean, 1 Snack, 1 Drinks stalls and the rest Chinese stalls. Chinese stalls are then split with Noodles and Rices.

Back in my days, we don't have Japanese/Korean. And our lunch will cost $1 ~ $2.50 USD. Nowadays, they cost $3 ~ $5 USD because schools are hiring food vendors from F&B industries. There will be slight changes soon, reverted back to those in my days, that the vendors are to be chosen from less fortunate families, usually single parents, to help aid their livelihood.

Kids from this age groups are basically paying for outside food nowadays, so it looks good. :D Not saying the food during my days wasn't good, the variety was always there, just alot cheaper.

EDIT:
From my knowledge, Taiwan should be similar, less the Indian,Malay stalls with slightly less variety. But their system should be similar overall. But their street food vendors just outside school compound are the bomb! Especially outside universities.

Last edited:
enhanced-buzz-19005-1302804490-18.jpg

FYI: For kids from 7 ~ 16, our schools have minimum of 10 stalls to purchase our food from. Typically in ratio of 1 Indian, 2 Malay, 1 Japanese/Korean, 1 Snack, 1 Drinks stalls and the rest Chinese stalls. Chinese stalls are then split with Noodles and Rices.

Back in my days, we don't have Japanese/Korean. And our lunch will cost $1 ~ $2.50 USD. Nowadays, they cost $3 ~ $5 USD because schools are hiring food vendors from F&B industries. There will be slight changes soon, reverted back to those in my days, that the vendors are to be chosen from unfortunate families, usually single parents, to help aid their livelihood.

Kids from this age groups are basically paying for outside food nowadays, so it looks good. :D Not saying the food during my days wasn't good, the variety was always there, just alot cheaper.

I'd bring prata from home. And a Kopi-O in an old Guinness bottle or a plastig bag with a sweet red straw.

Japan's fourth picture is probably most representative of a typical school lunch. You always get a tin of rice, a main dish of fish or meat followed with vegetables and a soup.

I cook breakfast and dinner and eating lunch at the school is a delight. I always feel ashamed when they ask me how Americans eat school lunch. I used to always bring a bagged lunch to school back in the day.

I'd bring prata from home. And a Kopi-O in an old Guinness bottle or a plastig bag with a sweet red straw.

lol, I don't drink Kopi in general, and why will you start drinking that as a kid. Won't you get into trouble being seen with the Guinness bottle? ^^ Are you Indian Singaporean?

Hahaha.. I haven't heard mat salleh for ages. Damn, school years were fun in a different way.

All the Asian and eastern European lunches look tasty, but also looks like I'd have a bad case of the squits once I'm done eating it.

France. They have an actual chef making their food. In the US the lunch ladies are just qualified to open boxes and bags and put things on oven trays and microwaves.

Fucking France. What a bunch of pretentious hipsters, trying to feed kids tasty food and shit. Who do they think they are?!

Ugh.

Watched the Anthony Bourdain where they were in France eating the school lunch. It was made and served by a professional chef.

I'd choose France.

france looks beast. i just saw a segment on it in on bourdains show and they spend less on their average meal than the US does and it's still a lot better.

i fukin remember those 'pizzas' we used to get in elementary. thick piece of 'bread' with some nasty shit that would just fall off the top ugh.

france looks beast. i just saw a segment on it in on bourdains show and they spend less on their average meal than the US does and it's still a lot better.

i fukin remember those 'pizzas' we used to get in elementary. thick piece of 'bread' with some nasty shit that would just fall off the top ugh.

Yeah that bread was bad, like worse than little cesar's. Also I recall there was always a choice between three terrible burgers hamburger, cheeseburger, or chicken sandwich. I'd sometimes get the chicken sandwich because it was marginally better than the burger, but you'd still frequently bite into a chunk of gristle or weird tissue that shouldn't be in a chicken sandwich. The burgers were a no-fly zone for me because the beef always tasted really funky and just flat-out wrong.

Now, someone find the comparison between prison meals in each country

Korean school cafeteria food is just the same stuff as the adults eat.

In comparison, American school lunches are fucking awful. I remember the disgusting shit that got served as a kid eating American school cafeteria food. Remember overcooked broccoli with cheez whiz on top? That awful smell combo turned me off the broccoli for years.

German school food, I don't remember too well, but I remember it being real food and not edible cardboard fried in fat, like American school food.

Schnitzels and beer.

Haha, good idea. But I can assure you that this time, Singapore won't be mention nearly as much as in this thread. There is a running joke here that they eat Steamed Black Bean Rice.

Does anybody recollect "boneless rib day?" It was essentially a McRib without the bun and sauce. I didn't mind the lunches because I was on the poor side, but they weren't healthy from the nutrition angle. The fruit salad was always the fructose-enriched canned stuff.

Are school lunches free in USA?

Haha, there's a thing in Korea about how well fed everyone is in prison here.

1.jpg

Which do you think is prison food?

Bzzzt. On the left, you've got prison food, on the right, military mess hall food.

Back