which punch generates most power?

Take a good MMA boxer like Stipe, his straight right is a perfect example of technique and power. Whoever it lands on (even Roy) gets rocked. That says a lot considering its all technique by Stipe and no swinging.

The right cross (for an orthodox stance, left for a southpaw) or right overhand actually generate the most power, and it's not even close. If you ever see fighters have their power measured, the cross will generate more than double the power of a hook and triple the power of an uppercut.

The uppercut and the hook generate significantly less power, but the uppercut usually lands right on the chin, which is the perfect spot for a knockout, while the cross is more likely to make contact in a glancing fashion. Hooks, my personal favourite punch, are excellent because they surprise opponents and land either on the jaw, chin, or temple if they are aimed at the head.

Nonetheless, if you are trying to generate power, it is the straight punch travelling the greatest distance and allows you to get all your weight into it that wins by a long shot.

Probably the power hook... but its the hardest to land.

or a straight right from an orthodox fighter.

Everyone knows this is the correct answer... just look how Kalib runs from the danger

funny_Nates_Hammer_Technique.gif

I disagree I think it would be the hook with the power hand

No. The weak hand. More torque from hip rotation and the spinning of the lead foot.

Also less distancing of the arm from the body so more mass behind the punch.

But instead of all this fancy dancy talk in this thread, it's best to go to a Boxing gym and see for yourself.

I think a straight punch delivers the most power if its delivered with the right mechanics. They mostly land on the front of the skull though, which is why u rarely see ko's from them as opposed to crosses and uppercuts which hit at an angle or on the side of the skull.
Side note: i remember them testing Rampage's punching power on one of them sport science shows (cant remember exact name of show) and i thought it was pretty cool how he wound up by blocking with his opposite hand to collect kinetic (i think) energy. He used a right cross though i believe.

My straight right is my hardest punch.

For me, it's a proper right cross thrown with perfect execution & hip rotation. I am tall and lengthy. Short compact fighters can generate pretty serious impact with hooks but for my body type it's the 2.

Depends on the person, accuracy, placement etc.

But i'd say the punch with the most power in general is the overhand or overcast

If done correctly it should be a hook because it incorporates the most muscle groups ie. kinetic linking.

Pure power... Right straight. Doesn't always do the most damage. The one you don't see coming is the most devastating, which can be any punch.

From orthodox you can't beat a properly executed right cross in terms of raw power but it's tricky landing one clean at the right angle so it's not the most prolific KO punch. A left hook is much more devastating in that regard.

That thing Mike Tyson threw.
Kinda hooking uppercut, every bit of his hips and both his upper and lower core were leveraged.
Don't see how an overhand could generate that kind of power.
Plus Tyson's natural quickness made that thing so explosive that his opponents prayed the KO would come quickly so they could just wake back up and get there money

Back