which punch generates most power?

If it thrown correctly with the prper force , a straight punch from your back leg is the most powerful. Uppercuts may look more powerful but that's because generally when they land it wasn't seen on the way in.
Truth. Hooks aren't more powerful either but they appear to cause more damage most likely due to the point of impact (jaw or temple).

In terms of power only, straight and hooks in terms of knockoutbility uppercuts cause them always hit the chin

fedor-rogers-head-off.gif

FIGHTPLAY_hendo_bisping.gif

Dos-Santos-def-Velasquez.gif

Dem Over hand rights.

the punch you don't see coming. Which is why the uppercut often rocks people, it's a sneaky sob

Very true about the punch you don't see coming being the one that hurts you.

Another point to make is that it varies from fighter to fighter, depending on what punch they "sit down" on according to their style or what their body type is geared towards. Carwin had nasty straight punches but didn't have the power on his hooks one would expect. Daley throws hooks like the world is ending. Hendo always loads up on his overhand.

I had a nasty jab and cross and my hooks felt like pillow punches. It was the the same with my kicks being relatively weak but my knees being murderous. I think if guys are just hitting a bag it depends on body type, but I'm far from a expert.

They can all knock a person out if thrown hard and 'correct' enough, so they can all be a 10. Even a jab.

On average if you're just talking about power I'd say an overhand.

This!

That sports science show where Rampage's power was displayed, no one was going for uppercuts or hooks, all threw overhands.

As far as generating power goes, the overhand or the power hook probably have the most potential. There's a lot more body that goes into these punches.

i like the Russian hook or overhand right. Throw all your hips into it and generate so much power from it, i.e. Fedor. But, the uppercut you can generate a hell of a lot of power from.

Probably overhand. That punch and the lead hook seem to knock a lot of people out.

Well timed and accurate punches generate the most power.

The 'saturday night special'. Big overhand right, like the one Fedor flattened Rogers with. Hips, ass, shoulders, weight, everything thrown into it.
That wasn't a shot.

It was a fucking nuclear bomb.
MDoza said:
Well timed and accurate punches generate the most power.
This is really the best answer, given that Anderson Silva has recorded the most knockdowns in UFC history, and yet has never shown the ability to severely hurt people with his hands like Fedor, Hendo, Chuck, Rampage, Cro Cop or Igor Vovchanchyn did/do-- obviously that's not a coincidence.

Overhand right or left. Lots of power but easier to see and avoid. But the "hardest" punch is the one you don't see coming.

Back