1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Which part of the off season should I train in?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by CollarTie, Aug 20, 2010.

1. CollarTie

CollarTie Blue Belt

Title says it all.

I'm dedicated to wrestling almost 100%, and I really only have one season off.

I attend camps and a club all summer long, and don't have any time for trainning at my school anymore. There I learned Submission Grappling and Muay Thai.

I want to attend my wrestling club atleast twice a week either in the few months inb the fall before wrestling season, or after season ends in the spring. Please don't suggest going to my club and training, because it's not an option. The club is a decent commute, and my parents aren't willing to do that, as well as MMA training.

So should I go to the club in the fall, or in the spring? Giving up training is also an option too if you guys think wrestling year round will give me that extra edge. So basically its two options.

1. Wrestling in the fall traing in the spring/vice versa

2. Wrestling year round.

I don't know. Wrestling is my passion and want to grow in the sport as much as possible. But training has been enjoyable, does a good job keeping me in shape, and would make an easier transition into serious training if I ever decided to compete. Though if do decide not to compete, not much will be taken from the training except for a deeper understanding of the sport, and some confidence.

In a nutshell, the question is just should I wrestle year round? And if I chose to wrestle all year, would that one extra season help that much? Or should I train MMA in one of the off seasons, and if so, which one?

Thanks.

2. pailum117

pailum117 Blue Belt

Do you want to be a D1 champ in college? if so, wrestle year round

Do you want to compete in MMA/Sub Grappling? Train MMA and Sub Grappling

3. CollarTie

CollarTie Blue Belt

Well, lets say I choose MMA, would it be best for my wrestling to wrestle in summer and spring, or summer and fall?

4. pailum117

pailum117 Blue Belt

If you really want to fight here's my philosophy, I know many will disagree

A guy with great jiu jitsu and striking and some wrestling

Is better than

A great wrestler with no striking or guard.

If you could do it all 100% that would rock, but if your asking me as a choice between alternatives, I say cut back on the wrestling and start padding out your striking and jiu jitsu

5. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Tough call bro, but if you wanna wrestle in college+ then wrestle all year round... otherwise find a good MMA coach and ask him.