Which old school boxers are overrated?

Braddock is not overrated because he gets attention. A retired boxers, turned dockyard worker, past his prime, with a bum right hand goes and up-ends a prime HW champ who literally murders people with his power punch, is a story with NO hyperbole.

Braddock's grit, toughness, and matured diligence are what people are rating; they are NOT rating his boxing acumen (that would be overrating). Joe Louis was knocked down by Braddock and later commented on his firm resolve.

Let's respect the guys who show up when they need to be at their best. Not all the fighters we talk about and heap praise on have actually done that.

While Patterson isn't a great matchup for Marciano stylewise, Rocky basically has to land big once and he's durable enough to get many tries. He gets outpointed as long as it lasts, but I wouldn't write him off.

Hmmm. I appreciate your take on it, but I imagine out of ten times, Rocky handles Patterson more than the other way around. Not easily, but he gets the KO probably. Here's the thing, Rocky thrives off a guy who comes to him, and Patterson was trained in the D'Amato style. Also, he has shown a tendency to be not only uneven defensively, but also to abandon his confidence once he's been buzzed. Can Patterson beat Rocky? I believe so. But I put my money on Marciano.

Hmmm. I appreciate your take on it, but I imagine out of ten times, Rocky handles Patterson more than the other way around. Not easily, but he gets the KO probably. Here's the thing, Rocky thrives off a guy who comes to him, and Patterson was trained in the D'Amato style. Also, he has shown a tendency to be not only uneven defensively, but also to abandon his confidence once he's been buzzed. Can Patterson beat Rocky? I believe so. But I put my money on Marciano.

Fair enough, I think Patterson is fast enough to cause Rocky trouble but we do agree on the fight’s being a different story once Marciano has landed something significant.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I think Patterson is fast enough to cause Rocky trouble but we do agree on the fight’s bring a different story once Marciano has landed something significant.

Patterson hit harder and faster than Marciano and was more sound.

Patterson hit harder and faster than Marciano and was more sound.

Marciano is durable and Patterson vanishes when he eats something big, which is what Rocky happens to throw. This fight is very unpredictable.

Every fighter who had ever lived is overrated.
I used to be a big Tommy hearns fan then I realized he sucked shit at boxing.

I can’t thing of any boxer who is good at it. They’re all overrated.

Most of them, honestly. People tend to remember a great fighters career as a highlight, only focusing on the best moments. People will talk about all the guys that say, Ray Robinson fought but half of them wouldn't even make the cut as sparring partners in boxing today, let alone be sanctioned to fight in a pro bout against the P4P kings.
Facts ray looks like a novice the whole era does so why have crazy people said for years how he could beat people way more advanced then him from 70s-now i take it lazy people only watch highlights cause in full matches he looks very stiff/slow/basic/easy to read he would had been destroyed 1st round by even no names I seen from those years cause of the advances in skill movement and fluidity

Have to go with Tyson. Has maybe two really great wins on his resume. Larry Holmes was a big name but he was slowing down after a 10+ year career, other than he beat some solid fighters but no elite or many all time greats, he largely avoided lot of the high level contenders / champs in the 90's that could've cemented more of a legacy for him in the ranks of all time HW discussion. Casuals love to overstate his capabilities, he was clearly a complete specimen, very defensively sound and extremely technical but his power is a bit overstated, he had more of a combination of speed and technique than raw power, he has a high finishing rate sure but there are plenty of boxers with a more brutal highlight reel.

Roberto Duran doesn't strike me as somebody who would just wipe the floor with Mayweather as everybody says. He looked awful when he was stopped by Leonard (apparently there was multiple reasons as to why this was).

Muhammad Ali was beaten fairly several times and I believe 6ft9 Fury would have beaten Ali and everybody Ali was beaten by.

George Foreman was big but if he's the hardest hitting monster, he literally lost to a punching bag against the ropes when he fought Ali. That is not a dig at Ali because we all know he can box, it's just odd to me how Foreman is rated as fearsome as well as a great boxer when if Ali was to stand still against the ropes against Anthony Joshua or Mike Tyson he would get knocked out.

Sugar Ray Leonard used his feet well and had fast hands but his defence isn't comparable to Mayweather IMO, Mayweather had a very tight philly shell defence whereas Leonard was more open and used head movement and traded punches and usually got the better with his speed and feet. In these exchanges his hands would often be down though, Mayweather keeps everything tight and flawless similar to Canelo. I will concede however that Mayweather isn't the GOAT and Canelo actually impresses me more. Mayweather had some very close fights, he was slick but Canelo is immaculate going forward and defensively and he could and would take on anyone in the sport up to 168 and beat them. Mayweather didn't always fight the best.

IMO RJJ is the GOAT.
Calzaghe is also extremely good, however I believe he is wild and would get countered trying to land that volume against somebody like Canelo.

I just find it hard to believe when the absolute pinnacle of boxing today in Canelo Alvarez will just be beaten one sidedly by some of these greats. Canelo's resume is very impressive and his only loss he didn't have a chance. I do think Canelos biggest floor is his feet but he's beaten guys like Amir Khan and Danny Jacobs. If anybody slows down, Canelo has the best defence in the pocket and amazing shot variety - he went up and beat Golovkin in the second by refusing to take steps back against the supposed most feared boxer at the time who was as we know a very decorated champion with an extensive amateur background from a weight above. It would not surprise me for Leonard to beat Canelo but if somebody was to one sidedly put a beating on Canelo you'd have to be almost unbeatable as he is immaculate.

Feel free to dispute any of my points.
A lot of people think Castillo beat Floyd. I think it's evidence Floyd would have struggled with Duran's style and pressure. Duran is a lot better then castilo

Who has fury beat to prove he could beat Ali

Foreman was getting outboxed on the ropes by ail

Back