Which old school boxers are overrated?

Not a good example. I have literally never heard anyone describe Carnera as anything other than a big slow heavyweight whose only attribute was his size. Nobody rates him highly. Braddock is famous not for being a great heavyweight, but for being a guy with 25 losses who scored a huge upset on the night. Decent boxer but never heard any serious talk about him being anything special. Marciano maybe, since you can still find some old Italians who think he was indestructible. He was a legitimate champion though.

Prima is just as legit of a champion as Rocky. Think on that.

Just stop. If you think that Carnera and Marciano are on a similar level you don't know boxing. And besides, this is about overrated boxers. Nobody rates Carnera as one of the greats.

Marcino had two title defense against the same old boxer. Won the title at 29, retired at 31. His 49-0 record is the world's biggest pad job.

Marcino had two title defense against the same old boxer. Won the title at 29, retired at 31. His 49-0 record is the world's biggest pad job.

Always thought that if Rocky wasn’t American he would be viewed completely different for his record than he currently is. Joe Louis was 37 I think when he beat him and his last fights were against the Rock, Archie Moore was 39, Joe Walcott was 39 and Ezzard Charles was 34. I think Walcott and Charles were both 2-2 going into fights with Rocky too.

Out of those only Archie Moore did anything of note after fighting Rocky and that was in a division below at Light Heavyweight.

I always thought there were similarities in the careers of Marciano and Calzaghe with just one big difference, Calzaghe gets shit on by US fans and Rocky is an ATG.

Always thought that if Rocky wasn’t American he would be viewed completely different for his record than he currently is.

So you mean if he was Ukranian and his name was Yaroslaw Bondarenko that certain posters here (not dropping any names) wouldn't give a damn about him?

Always thought that if Rocky wasn’t American he would be viewed completely different for his record than he currently is. Joe Louis was 37 I think when he beat him and his last fights were against the Rock, Archie Moore was 39, Joe Walcott was 39 and Ezzard Charles was 34. I think Walcott and Charles were both 2-2 going into fights with Rocky too.

Out of those only Archie Moore did anything of note after fighting Rocky and that was in a division below at Light Heavyweight.

I always thought there were similarities in the careers of Marciano and Calzaghe with just one big difference, Calzaghe gets shit on by US fans and Rocky is an ATG.
Rocky vs. ingemar

Who wins?

- Muhammad Ali would beat everyone
Maybe. He’s 50/50 vs Lewis and 60/40 vs Tyson.
- Sonny Liston, Holyfield, Frazier, Foreman would clear the current heavyweight division (would beat AJ easily - i do agree with this as the heavyweight division isn't great other than Fury)
No. Fury beats all of them.
- Roberto Duran would beat Mayweather
No. Mayweather by UD.
- Sugar ray Leonard would beat Canelo and is just a better version of Mayweather with better defense
Yes. Better offense than Floyd, not defense.
- George Foreman was the hardest hitting monster and would KO all heavyweights now
No, Shavers was. No, Fury outboxes him to a clear UD.

Larry Holmes got shit for saying Marciano couldn't hold his jock but it is the truth. Marcino in my opinion gets the last american white hope support and that is why he is praised so much.

I'm interested in hearing your rationale for stating that Pryor & Monzon are underrated.

Pryor was a natural lightweight who went up to 140 lbs because no one would fight him at 135. So, he stepped up a weight-class & KO'd an all-time great champion in Antonio Cervantes in four rounds. After which he defended his title numerous times over tough opposition. Including two over another all-time great champion, Alexis Arguello. Pryor mostly fought as a devastating walk-in banger who overwhelmed his opponents with power & volume punching but he could box as well & he had an underrated chin. Yeah, he was dropped on a few occasions but they were flash knockdowns & he was impossible to discourage. Even after he got involved with cocaine & was well past his prime he was a hell of a fighter.

I know that from first-hand experience as I was his chief sparring partner for two of his comeback fights. I was fighting at 154 lbs at the time & he matched me in strength & power. He was a bit slower & easier to hit than he used to be but every day of sparring with him was a rough day, believe me.
View attachment 827612
The way I see it is that Pryor is criminally underrated.

So would we congratulate say, Floyd Mayweather today if he fought some club fighter at the local fair for a payday? Like I said, the fights wouldn't even get sanctioned today. Floyd got laughed at for fighting former world champions when he was almost 40. Just imagine if news broke that Floyd was fighting a guy with a record like this-https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/11800
One of the big reasons it’s frustrating to watch pro’s take shit fights these days is because they’re fighting 1-2 times a year.

Wouldn’t make a difference is Floyd fought some can if he was the 3rd fight of the month.

Anyways, like I say all the time, it’s apples and oranges.

They got paid less in those days and live gates were more important.

In the era of true mass media, it’s not so important to constantly sell out places in order to make money, when people can easily watch and pay for fights.

I’m assuming that you’re not American and haven’t lived in America, because Rocky is hardly overrated here, particularly among people who are more than casual boxing fans.

Everybody knows that Rocky beat down old men. It’s such a common theme that it is probably the most memorable part of Coming to America which was made in 1988

Larry Holmes got shit for saying Marciano couldn't hold his jock but it is the truth. Marcino in my opinion gets the last american white hope support and that is why he is praised so much.

Probably also because he retired undefeated?

Rocky had a lot to do with those guys declining.

Walcott, Charles and Moore were still incredibly good fighters at the time he beat them.

When you take into account that he was just 185 pounds, it's an even more legendary feat. Because Charles and Moore, p4p, were some of the best ever. And Rocky was the same size as they were.

Rocky had a lot to do with those guys declining.
Still looks better than A.J and Rocky was small, 185-188 lbs usually.
A.J best wins are vs 41.y.o Wlad and 38 y.o smaller than he Povetkin and 39 y.o Pulev.
Ruiz on points:D.

Probably also because he retired undefeated?

Look at his title defenses:

Very old Jersey Joe Walcott twice, Old Archie Moore, old Ezzard Charles, and a few other no names. Floyd Patterson was the next Heavyweight Champ and would have been a stylistic nightmare for Marciano. The youngest heavyweight champion in the world who fought in the same style Tyson did ,peak a boo, with the same trainer and had arguably the fastest hands ever for a heavyweight. Being tough is not enough when you have someone that is that fast and hits that hard. Marciano was very basic and often just relied on being the best athlete. That works when you are fighting guys who are almost 40.

Look at his title defenses:

Very old Jersey Joe Walcott twice, Old Archie Moore, old Ezzard Charles, and a few other no names. Floyd Patterson was the next Heavyweight Champ and would have been a stylistic nightmare for Marciano. The youngest heavyweight champion in the world who fought in the same style Tyson did ,peak a boo, with the same trainer and had arguably the fastest hands ever for a heavyweight. Being tough is not enough when you have someone that is that fast and hits that hard. Marciano was very basic and often just relied on being the best athlete. That works when you are fighting guys who are almost 40.

I know who he fought and his limitations, but he went out on top and without a loss. It’s not his fault the division wasn’t as strong as others.

I don’t agree that Patterson would’ve been a nightmare for him but I do think Liston probably would’ve been.

While Patterson isn't a great matchup for Marciano stylewise, Rocky basically has to land big once and he's durable enough to get many tries. He gets outpointed as long as it lasts, but I wouldn't write him off.

Last edited:
Back