Which of our ancestors made the most sturdy, and effective battle ready swords

It all depends on how you want to fight.

Want to chop, get a scimitar. Want something that will chop and that is light, get a saber.
Want something that you can stab people with from a distance, get a hand and a half sword. Want something stabby and light, get a rapier.
Want something with Stabbing and slashing with a little more stabbing, get a short sword. Want more slicing, get a Japanese style sword.

It all depends on how you want to fight.

Want to chop, get a scimitar. Want something that will chop and that is light, get a saber.
Want something that you can stab people with from a distance, get a hand and a half sword. Want something stabby and light, get a rapier.
Want something with Stabbing and slashing with a little more stabbing, get a short sword. Want more slicing, get a Japanese style sword.

But this somehow assumes that all these attributes are made equal.
In most cases a shorter reach will be a problem. That is the reason why a spear beats pretty much any sword.

But this somehow assumes that all these attributes are made equal.
In most cases a shorter reach will be a problem. That is the reason why a spear beats pretty much any sword.

and a gun can shoot you much further away than a spear can be thrown.

Well you weren't talking about guns.
And I wasn't talking about spears.

and a gun can shoot you much further away than a spear can be thrown.

Well you weren't talking about guns.
And I wasn't talking about spears.

<{vega}>
I was illustrating the concept of reach using a spear as an example but ok, let's not talk about spears (nor guns, lol).

A longer sword tends to beat a shorter sword. There.

Decide to bump this awesome thread: one sword which is often overlooked is the smallsword.

For those who don't know much about the smallsword, it is the 18th century evolution of the rapier and ancestor of the foil.
It is a duelling weapon which is extremely light and has a triangular cross-section. In other words it is an extremely dangerous stabbing weapon with a very pointy, stiff blade.

It looks pretty ghey but due to its speed and stiffness, I think it is a formidable sword on the offensive side.

In this vid, Skallagrim compares its penetration with other swords. Advance to 7:29 for the smallsword and admire just how deadly that thing can be.

This next vid is some sparring of smallsword vs a much bigger broadsword, where the smallsword absolutely holds it own.

This last vid is some pretty dandy smallsword sparring.

Hey we must keep this thread alive.

Just wanted to post that for various reasons, I could only fence like 4 times this year and I shit you not, I got owned twice by this older lady, like 55 Y-O, but who trains like 3 times a week. One year ago when I was training consistently, I was owning this lady like 15-5 most of the time and she had almost no chance of beating me.

Just illustrates that fencing is a great investment for the ripe years ahead of us. It is the only combat sport I can think of where technique and experience alone will consistently defeat strength, speed , athleticism and agressivity.

In fencing, very good 60 Y-O will give a run for their money to good 20 Y-O competitive fencers.

Decide to bump this awesome thread: one sword which is often overlooked is the smallsword.

For those who don't know much about the smallsword, it is the 18th century evolution of the rapier and ancestor of the foil.
It is a duelling weapon which is extremely light and has a triangular cross-section. In other words it is an extremely dangerous stabbing weapon with a very pointy, stiff blade.

It looks pretty ghey but due to its speed and stiffness, I think it is a formidable sword on the offensive side.

In this vid, Skallagrim compares its penetration with other swords. Advance to 7:29 for the smallsword and admire just how deadly that thing can be.

This next vid is some sparring of smallsword vs a much bigger broadsword, where the smallsword absolutely holds it own.

In the video of the broadsword, it is somewhat unexpected to see just how little effect the broadsword's beats on the small has when a lot of the criticism of the lighter blades is that they won't stand up against the beat. Reality is that the smallsword recovers too quickly for you to do anything with it.

Hey we must keep this thread alive.

Just wanted to post that for various reasons, I could only fence like 4 times this year and I shit you not, I got owned twice by this older lady, like 55 Y-O, but who trains like 3 times a week. One year ago when I was training consistently, I was owning this lady like 15-5 most of the time and she had almost no chance of beating me.

Just illustrates that fencing is a great investment for the ripe years ahead of us. It is the only combat sport I can think of where technique and experience alone will consistently defeat strength, speed , athleticism and agressivity.

In fencing, very good 60 Y-O will give a run for their money to good 20 Y-O competitive fencers.

IDK, after 30 years in the combat arts, I've just lost most of my participatory interest in them.

Check these fly-ass gauntlets: Maximilian I of House Habsburg, ca. 1490
zjq8l21th7341.jpg

In the video of the broadsword, it is somewhat unexpected to see just how little effect the broadsword's beats on the small has when a lot of the criticism of the lighter blades is that they won't stand up against the beat. Reality is that the smallsword recovers too quickly for you to do anything with it.

So you would say that they are not using proper sparring swords?

Seriously though, This was a great read. Especially reading that dudes journey into sport fencing.

I just reread this entire thread and you're right, its a good thread. I'm kind of glad it was buried here in Weapons and Tactics away from the riff raff. Though an @Zer comment or two is missing.

I just reread this entire thread and you're right, its a good thread. I'm kind of glad it was buried here in Weapons and Tactics away from the riff raff. Though an @Zer comment or two is missing.

This thread actually made me start fencing.

Nice stuff, but I prefer weapons in my weapons sub forum.

Bro, this is Sherdog-Universe, sometimes surprising, sometimes educational, many times unexpected:

post-147940-0-57870900-1514999669.jpg

Last edited:
Back