Which Muay Thai gym should I choose?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Aeilegs, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Aeilegs

Aeilegs White Belt

I'm new to MT and there are two gyms near where I live. I've trained a bit at both, but I really only have time to train about once a week since since I do bjj and judo as well. At one of the gyms the class typically involves a lot of bag rounds and pad rounds, conditioning, and sometimes clinch work, but almost no sparring if any. The workout is pretty hardcore and exhausting, but the downside is the lack of sparring.

The other gym's classes are quite different, with hardly any bag/pad work or conditioning; the instructor starts of by showing some combinations and counters which the class practises, and then there's some sparring. It's less exhausting too, since the first part is technique.

Which one's better? One is a very good workout, the other is more technical and with sparring involved.

2. gotobread

gotobread Purple Belt

I don't really think conditioning should be a deciding factor as that's something you could easily do (well) on your own.

3. asaris

asaris White Belt

+1 Do a six mile jog before class or whatever. Or just do the conditioning by yourself on a bag after class.

4. 2om30

2om30 Red Belt

Best Muay Thai in Arizona.

5. Im so Moldy

Im so Moldy Blue Belt

Choose the one with more sparring if you want to learn the art.