Which list of wins is more impressive out of these two?

Instead of bisping u should have put alves or definitely Hendricks

This. Conor has zero title defenses. Not to mention it's much easier to steal the title away then it is to defend it. GSPs resume easily better when you factor in his string of defenses.
Yeah, GSP would never steal a title away and not defend it.

screenshot-www-fightmatrix-com-2020-01-21-15-21-46.png

screenshot-www-fightmatrix-com-2020-01-21-15-23-15.png

Statistically speaking, GSP is superior. You can't argue math.
http://www.fightmatrix.com/faq/
You can argue it if it put Eddie Alvarez who just got beat by a nobody over Khabib who CANNOT get beat by nobody.

Aldo
Alvarez
Poirier pre-prime
Holloway in his fourth UFC fight, coming off a loss against Bermudez
Mendes on short-notice
Diaz Nate, and also lost against him
Cerrone post-prime, coming off 2 consecutive brutal knockout losses

shields
Fitch
Diaz
Hughes
Penn
Condit
Bisping

IMO the first list of fighters beaten is far more impressive than the second list...Aldo is easily the most elite win to have out of those 14 names. Discuss

Nothing to discuss here.
GSP actually had a long title reign, with plenty of title defenses.

Shields was on a 15 fights win streak
(including Hendo, Lawler, Condit, Okami, Menne)

Fitch was on a 17 fights wins streak

Nick > Nate
Hughes and Penn were champ
Bisping was an upper weight class
and after a 4 yrs layoffs.

/THREAD

Aldo
Alvarez
Poirier
Holloway
Mendes
Diaz
Cerrone

shields
Fitch
Diaz
Hughes
Penn
Condit
Bisping

IMO the first list of fighters beaten is far more impressive than the second list...Aldo is easily the most elite win to have out of those 14 names. Discuss

Depends. How many losses do they have? How many of those losses was the person finished? How many were avenged? How many of those wins were defenses?

Sure, but context is needed. GSP beat all those guys in their prime while defending his title.

Conor beat Poirier and Holloway before their primes, and Cowboy after. So as a whole, GSP's list is more impressive IMO. But yeah Aldo is the best win out of all of them, I'll give you that.
Gsp did not beat anything close to prime bisping. Recent champ or not bisping was past it

Holloway was coming off a loss to Bermudez at the time Conor beat him

He shouldn't even be listed

Both may have also won belts in heavier divisions that they did not defend but Conor came back and fought Khabib later....let’s see GSP fight Izzy now.

The only people who would pick the first list are young fans who are comparing prime Holloway to the Penn that got knocked out outside the club.

The second list is FAR more impressive.

And to top off the better wins, the fighter in question also defended his belt numerous times and never got humiliated in such a life altering manor as Khabib did to fighter #1.

Also the guy boasting list #2 is a better person. Never been accused of rape, having substance issues, been caught on camera assaulting the elderly, fans, buses full of fighters etc. The guy behind list #1 can't say that.

GSP is probably my favorite fighter of all time, and I believe he is either the GOAT of 1A / 1B with Jon Jones. Anyone who thinks GSP or Jones isn't the GOAT of MMA is just delusional, first off. The problem is potentially the steroid stuff with either, in which case I can rescind that statement if we knew both were 100% not clean, and obviously Jones is basically a known user while GSP is just suspected with no proof.

With that out of the way, I like Conor McGregor. I respect greatness. The lists are very close, if you look objectively they are. Penn is one of the best "names" there but was a LW going up to WW. Aldo and Hughes were both all-time greats for the division at the time, GOATs clearly prior to GSP and Conor/Holloway (Aldo is still the FW GOAT clearly, Rogan is a retard about that narrative).

Here is the main problem with the list vs list:

- Conor lost twice early on in his career and basically beat no bodies. Then he beat Brimage, Holloway, Brandao, Porier, Siver. Three of which were not listed: Brimage, Brandao, Siver. Not a horrible string of wins, but nothing of quality outside Siver which is a meh.

- GSP on the other hand beat Karo Parisyan, Mayhem Miller, Frank Trigg, Sean Sherk, Josh Koscheck, Matt Serra, Dan Hardy, ~Johnny Hendricks. None of which were mentioned in the lists. Not every single win was a great win or even that good, but the accumulation + a few of those being quality for the time like Koscheck, Sherk, Karo and Hendricks although very close/controversial and I wouldn't really list it.

- GSP also avenged his only two losses by beating Serra handily in the rematch, and beating Hughes twice. Where as Conor avenged the Nate Diaz loss (which wasn't a "just got caught" like Serra) but has not avenged the Khabib loss as of yet.

So I actually thought of this recently too...if McGregor avenges that Khabib loss then sure we can have a real conversation, and it will clearly put him in the all-time convo more than he already is, but as of right now GSP obviously has a better resume' and is a higher GOAT candidate.

Also Conor has avoided or luckily not faced wrestlers. Let's be real here.

He fought Mendes and he basically got man-handled until Alpha-Midget Chad went for a mounted guillotine and then Conor starched him. Conor was losing that fight, I can recall it pretty vividly. I like Conor too so I'm saying it straight here. He also lost to Khabib which...his wrestling/grappling looked improved and you can't really blame him for on the ground, but it's a dominant wrestler.

Out of all his fights Conor only fought two wrestlers who actually wrestled (Alvarez being the one who didn't).

It's cute that he's at 170, and I do think he could win the WW title, I think it's possible, but he's also cut the line at LW and WW for title shots if he does get one there...and he's tactfully dodging all the grinder wrestlers who would just fuck him like Covington, Woodley, Maia (bjj grappler)... and even at LW he's avoiding wrestlers like Kevin Lee, Diego Ferreria (bjj), and just a shortage of wrestlers at the moment.

If he defended his title like GSP did for that long he would have ran into a bunch of wrestlers/grapplers. How would he fare? Mendes and Khabib being the only two he's faced in the UFC the track record doesn't look to good, but he's improved also so who knows.

The first list has fighters that are great now. The second list has fighters that were great 10 years ago. Just because the fighters on the 2nd list aren't good anymore, doesn't mean they weren't extremely impressive wins at the time.

Also - as someone else mentioned, most of them were title defenses - meaning that GSP fought them at the best in their careers.
A very well educated post. I always say recency bias, but that explanation is spot on!

What about GSPs other wins? Hendricks and Koscheck are better wins than Poirer, Mendes, and Holloway at that stage in their careers.

What about GSPs other wins? Hendricks and Koscheck are better wins than Poirer, Mendes, and Holloway at that stage in their careers.
I'll tell you why, TS is notorious for trying anything to belittle St-Pierres in every way possible.
if he was to list those wins you've mentioned as well, he should've listed another two wins of McGregor as well (to keep the number of their best wins even) but since McGregor literally has no other big names on his resume, he didn't. GSP on the other hand, has easily 10+ good wins on his resume.

It's not just that though, he fails to mention the context of the wins of both St-Pierre and McGregor for the same reason.
McGregor's best wins are almost exclusively against guys that are either significantly smaller than him or that were very unexperienced at the time. On the other side, GSP has cleaned out the whole welterweight-division - without having to cut so much weight that he's looked like a Zombie at the weigh ins, like Conor did.

McGregor isn't even in the conversation to be one of best fighters of all time, whereas if you combine the record of the opponents GSP, Jones, Aldo and Silva have won against inside the UFC, St-Pierre's opponents have the best win/loss-ratio out of those mentioned and with the exception of Bisping, all these wins happened at one of, if not the most stacked divisions ever as well, not to mention that Jones and Silva have tested positive for stuff.

Last edited:
Back