Which is your favorite GTA game?

Which is your favorite GTA game?

• Total voters
5 seems like a step backward, even from GTA4. It was too much arcade style. GTA San Andreas is my favorite too. But I think GTA4 gets overlooked a lot in terms of the little things they did that made it gritty and realistic.

Couldn't disagree more.

The driving physics was a step backwards from the GT3 trilogy and lock-on shooting had overstayed its welcome.

As much criticism as I have for lack of content, its driving and shooting huge improvements over prior entries in the series.

Couldn't disagree more.

The driving physics was a step backwards from the GT3 trilogy and lock-on shooting had overstayed its welcome.

As much criticism as I have for lack of content, its driving and shooting huge improvements over prior entries in the series.
The driving was more difficult, yes. But more realistic. Not every car on the street handles like an F1 super car. But, it is a game after all. And I kind of agree that it was a little too sluggish and that 5 improved it. The shooting, that was a bit weaker. But when you shot someone in GTA4, it actually felt like you shot someone. They reacted realistically. In GTA5, it’s like they took a step backward, and just made everyone bullet sponges who only reacted when they died. They all react with the same 1 or 2 canned animations. I feel like that really encapsulates the differences between 4 and 5.

The driving was more difficult, yes. But more realistic.

It wasn't fun.

That's a giant flaw in a game your main method of getting from location to location in a city is driving.

Not every car on the street handles like an F1 super car. But, it is a game after all.

That wasn't the way it was in the GTA3 trilogy or in GTA5. There were multiple cars that handled differently with different rates of accelerations.

The shooting, that was a bit weaker.

Rockstar borrowed the shooting mechanics from Max Payne 3, and it was improved in every way from GTA3 trilogy and GTA4.

But when you shot someone in GTA4, it actually felt like you shot someone. They reacted realistically. In GTA5, it’s like they took a step backward, and just made everyone bullet sponges who only reacted when they died.

Haven't played GTA5 since a week after it was released and I have a good memory for how it played, mostly. Though I'll have to take your word for it on this one.

I'm pretty sure that's how it was in GTA4 and I do know it how it was in the GT3 games.

There were multiple cars that handled differently with different rates of accelerations.
And therein lays the problem. That was really the only difference between 90% of the cars - how fast they accelerate. Nothing else in terms of driving.

I'm pretty sure that's how it was in GTA4 and I do know it how it was in the GT3 games.

In GTA4, when you shot people, they reacted dynamically, depending on where you shot them. In 5, the animations and physics, when it comes to any type of combat as well as most everything else, are like those of games 8 years older.
They did a few things better in 5. But 4 > 5. SA is still the best.

And therein lays the problem. That was really the only difference between 90% of the cars - how fast they accelerate. Nothing else in terms of driving.

Yeah, in GTA4 they handled the same, which is one of the reasons why GTA4's car handling was so piss poor.

But in GTA3&5, the vans handled like vans, the motorcycles handled like motorcycles, and the banshee handled like a sportscar.

latest

In GTA4, when you shot people, they reacted dynamically, depending on where you shot them. In 5, the animations and physics, when it comes to any type of combat as well as most everything else, are like those of games 8 years older.
They did a few things better in 5. But 4 > 5. SA is still the best.

Sorry, but saying the main reason that GTA4 > GTA5 is because the when you shoot people they have alot more & realistic animations, is a very weak argument.

Sorry, but saying the main reason that GTA4 > GTA5 is because the when you shoot people they have alot more & realistic animations, is a very weak argument.
You left out the part in which I explained that the same kind of thing applies to nearly every aspect of GTA4 vs GTA5. Not just gun combat. Also unarmed combat. And just everything in general.

You left out the part in which I explained that the same kind of thing applies to nearly every aspect of GTA4 vs GTA5. Not just gun combat. Also unarmed combat. And just everything in general.

I can count on my fingers the amount of times I've bothered to use unarmed combat in all the GTA games combined.

Saying 'and everything in general' isn't adding to your argument.

This is an interesting video claiming 10 reasons why GTA4 is better than GTA5...

IN GTA4... but NOT GTA5 -
1. We can grab onto and climb up on ledges.
2. After beating someone on the street, ambulances show up.
3. Engines stay on after you leave vehicles.
4. Police can arrest NPCs.

And you can watch the rest of the video.

Vice City, spent the most time on it, best radio stations, story was simple and to the point with no irritating characters.
What held San Andreas back to me was that they included way too much pointless bullshit i didnt care for leaving the experience pretty bloated and all over the place as a whole.

I genuinely don't remember. I think I just thought it looked gay.

I agree in the non-homophobic sense of the word. There is nothing in the game that made me care about anything nor was it novel. Why do I want to butt scoot around a city that looks like the same thing I live in? Red Dead Redemption, Oblivion, and Skyrim at least had a more fantasy element to them.

I agree in the non-homophobic sense of the word. There is nothing in the game that made me care about anything nor was it novel. Why do I want to butt scoot around a city that looks like the same thing I live in? Red Dead Redemption, Oblivion, and Skyrim at least had a more fantasy element to them.
i assumed he said it looked gay cuz of the pink colors and palm trees

wait but your reasoning for not liking vice city in particular doesnt make a whole lot of sense. if anything gta 3 and 4 are the more bland looking environments

Vice city
San Andreas
4(hated the car physics, but the story just edges it over 3)

didn’t play the first two

V followed closely by San Andreas. Too many good things to list as to why V is so good. Interestingly enough before it came out I was so hyped at the thought of online play in a GTA game. To this day I have not touched the online game.

But to just mess around with, III is the best for me. Between the cartoonish physics and all the codes you can have a blast just messing around with the cars and pedestrians.

All of them do things better and worse than others, but San Andreas is my favorite one as a whole. I think it has the best story and characters, plus it makes excellent use of its map. The writing is also on point and is filled with hilarious dialogue. The graphics and physics engine is obviously very dated, but once you adjust to it it's a lot of fun.

V does a lot of things right, but my god the characters and missions in the game are horrendous. Splitting the narrative up between 3 people sounds interesting, but just results in lackluster development for all the characters. The missions are largely filler that I have absolutely no desire to ever play again. Several of the missions that involve preparing for the heists are nothing more than busy work. Compared to the mission variety and characters in SA, V feels like a massive downgrade (so did IV by comparison). V also makes incredibly poor use of the map. The vast majority of the game takes place in the main city or in the hillbilly town. The game rarely puts the other 75% of the map to any use during the course of the story. Disappointing. I have not played the online portion of the game, so maybe I would appreciate it more if I was into that. It pisses me off that a lot of the cool vehicles and weapons that are available in the online mode are not available in single player. I love modern gaming!

Vice City has the best soundtrack
IV has the best physics engine which makes interacting with pedestrians hilarious sometimes
V is the one I play if I just want to hop in a car and drive around

Back