Which is the best stance for freestyle stand up fighting, in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by spacetime, Aug 17, 2015.

1. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

My vote is on the Muay Thai stance. Looks very solid. The old school Karate (Shotokan) stance is fine if it weren't for the hands being so low. I don't think it makes much sense, although they intend to fight long range. Isn't the Muay Thai stance better regardless of distance?

2. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

3. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

If we are talking about a stance for purely stand up with kicks etc. then I would tend to agree, but if there is the possibility of take-downs I think the common MMA stance, wide stance, weight centered vs. back leg, would be the safest.

If this is with no gloves on, I would probably have my palms out looking to parry or catch punches or even use a long arm block to get into a clinch where I could let knees fly. In a self defense situation I would prefer using close range elbows and knees because not only are they devastating but the attacker will likely not expect that and once you knee him in the face few times with a few downward elbow to the back of the head, he's done.

4. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

Hard to say how effective the block is without seeing it in action. The only thing I could think about when watching that was how long it would take before the dude gets knocked out in the cage. As a long time practitioner of Traditional Martial Arts and current Muay Thai student, I shutter to think how good I thought I was before joining the MT and MMA scene a few years ago.

5. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

Freestyle karate stance, I think it is so fun to watch and with decent defense.

6. kenpeters8

kenpeters8 Purple Belt

Horse stance, hahahaha!

[​IMG]

Or that bullshit garbage wing chun shit stance. LOL!!!

[​IMG]

7. Celestial Kid

Celestial Kid Banned Banned

Karate & wrestling.

8. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

Why do people aways assume that it's the art that sucks and not the guy doing it? Do you know how easy it is to find TMA guys demolishing Muay Thai? I has nothing to do with it, if its a legit art

9. a guy

a guy Black Belt

In before f11 takes the bait and gets trolled hard.

10. Samuel Reynoso

Samuel Reynoso Orange Belt

This.

But you're still left with the question of what stance to adopt before you realize the kind of opponent you're fighting. You're stance should be fluid but where do you start the flow.

Personally I think you should start with a narrow stance and a long guard. It's way easier to drop levels into a wide stance than it is to come up into a narrow stance. It's simple physics; gravity helps you change levels in one direction... Hell, you could fall into the splits at any moment if you wanted to.

11. StopDucking

StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

What the hell is the muay thai stance?

12. Perfect form

Perfect form Yellow Belt

In my opinion there is no such thing as a specific stance. There is distance and attack. Attack is based on what your opponent gives you.

13. Celestial Kid

Hips squared, hands up, chin down, weight is 50/50.

14. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

It's not the art that sucks, if anything it's the training. I think it's a great thing new crops of fighters are bringing TMA aspects into the octagon. But most traditional martial art schools simply do not train to fight, they train to defend. In all the TMA schools I have trained in/seen there is hardly any hard sparring or conditioning like you see in MT and MMA. I know there are exceptions and I welcome those. Perhaps it is anecdotal but in my experience when I first stepped into a ring at a new MT school and used TMA I got my ass handed to me. Most training we did in TMA was just not realistic; it was against a static opponent offering hardly any push back.

In reference to the block, it and the guy look silly.

PS. I just watched the video again. I like the way the fists are turned and some of the mechanics, I'd just like to see it in action.

15. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

Muay thai is squared up right?

In judo you stand similar to the striking TMA stances. You are not square, but not sideways. It is like an angled degree stance. One foot is more forward than the other. I will say from this stance you can stance and grapple, so I pick this.

The feet are not both pointing forward either. One is forward the other can be 90 or 45 degrees. And you open you hips up.

16. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

But harder sparring can be done after class. Just ask one of the students. I wasn't referring to MMA. TMA like TKD has produced guys beating kickboxers, Muay Thai guys. You won't however find any Aikido or Shotokan stylists. Shotokan mlst probably because they aren't trained for continious sparring, but instead street confrontations.

17. Celestial Kid

For mma, CK prefers grapplers to strike in their grappling stance. So if you're a judoka go ahead with the judo stance. same with wrestlers. They do better that way ironically.

18. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

The TMA place I used to go to was Shaolin Kempo; this was back in the early to mid 90s. We only had those crappy foam gloves and plastic feeling mouth guards. We actually sparred pretty hard considering the equipment. A lot of strikes focused on hitting the eyes, throat, balls etc. Problem with that was we couldn't practice those and would instead spar at about 60% with often not fully clenched fists. When I moved to the DC Metro area I was looking for, a Jeet Kune Do, Kempo or even (yes I admit) Ninjutsu school, but I couldn't find any. My daughter got her bo-black in TKD, but I wasn't interested in training there. Then I stumbled upon MT.

I guess the question is this. Who would fare better in a street fight, an MT or MMA guy who have done full contact ring fights or a practitioner of Karate, TKD or the like? As much as my TMA loving soul hates to admit, I'd go with the former.

19. Celestial Kid

from the information CK has gathered from those who have trained in thailand, yes.

20. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

The more talented fighter. Street fight is different ball park. It''s less about taking hits and more about avoiding it. Once the adrenalin starts pumping and you are in danger of your own life, it's all instinct. Your training goes out the window.

21. StopDucking

StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

Yodsanklai: hips not squared
    Saenchai: hands below the chin half of the time
    Buakaw: weight on the back leg

22. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

A Muay Thai club could never take credit for me, nor could a TKD dojang. I was already good when I got there and had a natural born ability.

23. Celestial Kid

This is the basic muay thai stance. U can adjust as need be with what youre comfortable with.

24. Sano

Sano Black Belt

So true. It's pretty amazing how it just keeps going. Another not so veiled Karate is bad, TKD is good thread. He is getting a bit more creative with it though.

25. Deathnever

Deathnever White Belt

Crane stance bro
    [​IMG]

26. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

I've been essentially rick rolled haven't I? ;)

27. Willyw

Willyw White Belt

Impossible to say. If you are fighting a better boxer, you will try to get it in to a kicking game= more weight on backleg. If you are fighting a kicker, you should box him = more 50\50 stance.

The best stance all boils down to what kind of opponent u have to fight..

28. Sano

Sano Black Belt

Check his other threads. I'd say so :D

29. James L

James L on a cloud among many others

Spacetime, you're going to truly grow up one day, and see that there's a reason major MMA promotions only promote certain TMAs. All legitimate MArtist and MMArtist know why. You can't be doing McDojo shit. Life ain't street fighter where TMAs rule, life is reality, where the most complete arts, and artist rule.

My favorite striking art is Muay Thai and I don't understand people like Joe Schilling when they say "Us Muay Thai guys are much tougher and for real compared to MMA guys" it's simply not true, because it can't be measured and if it were to be measured: the mental, physical, and emotional strain will be harder on average for the MMA guys, though there will be variables and anomalies, because not everybody is the same.

My favorite grappling art is jiu jitsu, that doesn't mean I don't believe that a Cael Sanderson type can come in, and within a dedicated year or under probably roll over loads of high ranking belts, even some lower tier black belts before coming across a challenge in the battle tested tried and true black belts.

there's a reason Lee said keep what is useful, throw away what's useless. Loads of "techniques" fall into the latter, and only so much is part of the former.

Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, & even some TKD, Shotokan, & Capoeira.

Freestyle, & Greco-Roman Wrestling, all types of jiu-jitsu, Submission-Wrestling/Grappling/Catch-As-Can, Judo, Sambo, & even some Sumo, plus Collar & Elbow for the head-arm-hand fighting

These two lists just about sum up the most practical (aside from those listen after the qualifier: "even" I.e see Irish Collar & Elbow) tried & true martial arts that are effective in and out of Unified Rules Combat/MMA & street fights when used together as an amalgam.