Which is easier to get better or at least competent in, striking or grappling?

Striking is harder to learn than BJJ, since the former is based on body built through growth as a child/teenager, it becoming natural. While the latter is more about technique and therefore largely depends on work ethic. Wrestling is similar to striking in that sense.

In striking you are only as good as your teachers. It is easy to be a good striker but you must find the right training. Grappling is a more difficult subject. Anyone can buy a book by Bruce Lee and learn to strike but grappling is not as easy.

A book from Bruce Lee to learn striking? On a scale of full retard to full retard, where are you?

Cyborg is definitely the most effective over the span of their respective careers.

However, currently Ronda has been finishing better competition by strikes faster (=more effectively) than Cyborg.

Obviously our definition of effective striking is different.
In my opinion it's about having space awareness, reflexes, good defense and technique.
In your opinion it's about flailing your arms on subpar opposition until they go down.

So I'll agree, she's the most effective striker with poor technique in mma.

Obviously neither of us are going to change our minds, so we should leave the subject.

I believe it depends on several things

body type

mentality

natural athletic ability

Everyone is not created equal and pick certain things up easily as well as do other naturally.

There's many facets of grappling and striking. Depends on the fighter. You either choose specific gyms/schools for your knowledge or you go to an "all in one" MMA gym. Or both.

Grappling in MMA: Wrestling, BJJ, JJJ, Judo, Sambo, Muy Thai (clinch).

Striking in MMA: Boxing, Muy Thai, Taekwondo, Karate (Kickboxing is a general mixture of all)

Big Country once stated that he pretty much abandoned his grappling in the fights and would rather strike because it's easier.

This coming from a BJJ blackbelt.

Big Country once stated that he pretty much abandoned his grappling in the fights and would rather strike because it's easier.

BJJ is increasingly ineffective in MMA because everyone knows the same moves more or less and how to defend against them.

I think a lot of it how much tolerance you have for taking your knocks. To pick up striking you're going to take your share of punches to the face. Armbars aren't fun, but getting punched is whole other level. Many people in my gym never even try striking but become very good competition grapplers..

It is easier to learn defensive grappling and offensive striking.

It is very hard to learn good defensive striking or to be a sub wiz

I stand by what I said earlier but I think this is also true.

Cool. Thanks for the discussion and ideas so far. It's really interesting to read. I mean I could do without the whole Ronda discussion in this thread but hey, I just skip over those posts.

I could totally see where it's probably easiest to learn basic offensive striking and basic defensive wrestling. It's easiest to try to punch someone in the mouth and stalemate them when they try to take you down, and tougher to avoid getting hit and shoot in for a takedown.
I don't know if there has been a shift, but I know for a while in the UFC it seemed like wrestling was the best base and then pick up some basic striking. Now it seems like we are getting a lot of strikers who have better TDD and defensive wrestling too. It's fun b/c there are always shifts in almost all sports as people change and make adjustments.

Yeah, one of the coolest things about watching MMA from the very begining is seeing these shifts happen every few years. Every time it happens I think 'okay, this is the style that will last. This is what works best' ... And then all of a sudden somebody comes in and changes it all up. It's awesomely cool.

First of all, you're asking this in the wrong place, most of these people here have probably never trained.
But to answer, it depends on the person. I mean look at Jake Shields, been training for years but still has terrible striking. Then look at TJ Dillashaw, made ridiculous improvements in a short time. Grappling though, it is much harder to make big improvements in a short time, generally takes YEARS.

For me, striking came easier. After my first year or so in sparring, I was able to hang with a lot of bigger dudes who've trained years longer. On the mat though, I was still getting smeared. But anyways it depends on the person really.

Nah, it's a good place to ask. And a lot of us have actually trained. Some of us have trained to level of being able to hang with pros in the gym (like me), others have actually fought. Not all Sherdoggers are neckbeards who would rather criticise somebody's backstroke than actually get wet in the pool :). You just have to read closely and seperate the wheat from the chaff. Also, learning who is who is a good thing if you paln in sticking around.

Depends on body type, size, skill and preferences.

Cyborg is definitely the most effective over the span of their respective careers.

However, currently Ronda has been finishing better competition by strikes faster (=more effectively) than Cyborg.

When Ronda can hang with Baars for 5 rounds, then I'll say she has decent striking....

When Ronda can hang with Baars for 5 rounds, then I'll say she has decent striking....

You seem to not really get it. Having effective striking in mma has nothing to do with how you would be able to do in a Muay Thai match.

I guess the point of the question would be. Is it easier for someone who wrestled or did BJJ their whole life to get really good at striking (or at least competent)? Or is it easier for someone who has done striking their whole life to get really good at wrestling/grappling (or at least competent)?

This might be a slightly different convesation as well but I'd guess it's better in today's MMA ruleset to have a grappling background of 15 years and pick up enough striking to be relevent (like Phil Davis) as opposed to striking your whole life and trying to pick up enough grappling or sprawling to be relevant (like Dan Hardy?....can't think of anyone offhand)

Having done both it all depends on the person. grappling to some is very easy to learn others striking.
The thing with striking is if you are scared to get hit or panic when you see stars you will lose it , get tired fast, turn you back and panic!!!

also lots of guys do well at the gym but once they compete they choke! be it striking or grappling.

factoring all that I am going say Striking is harder to get better at.

I would say in terms of being "competent" grappling is easier to learn defence whilst striking is easier to learn offence.

Blocking takedowns and subs is much easier than learning really good MMA striking defence which is not something anyone picks up quickly and very few actually have.

Getting submissions on the other hand needs a much higher level of skill than getting KO's which any number of brawlers are capable of.

Having done both it all depends on the person. grappling to some is very easy to learn others striking.
The thing with striking is if you are scared to get hit or panic when you see stars you will lose it , get tired fast, turn you back and panic!!!

also lots of guys do well at the gym but once they compete they choke! be it striking or grappling.

factoring all that I am going say Striking is harder to get better at.

This is why I say it's hard to get good at striking. Lots of people can look good on the pads. But getting "live" practice is much harder for most people with striking than grappling. Just about everyone rolls in our gym and therefore can become good grapplers but only a small % spar. There are a lot more good grapplers in the MMA world than strikers..

In my personal experience, I was lucky enough to seemingly be born for fighting. Before MMA, I never lost a fight, and needless to say haven't since I trained, either. Neither came easier than the other, though I do seem to be better at grappling. Striking seems easiest for people to learn and adapt to, even those who insist on training yet were obviously never meant to fight. Grappling isn't necessarily harder, especially considering there's a good number of people where grappling comes easiest, it can just be trickier, due to the intricacy of it all. In striking the best master angles, counters (pre-emptive, simultaneous, and follow-ups), flow (timing, footwork, rhythm, tempo, spatial recognition), and develop a toolkit that aside from seeming endless, is actually specialized to their frame.

The best grapplers have to master the ins and outs, while building a move set that is specialized towards their strengths, but also has to cover up any weaknesses. They need sweeps, scrambles, the ability to chain submissions, etc. Even if you're lucky to have an affinity for both like myself, I still need to build my number of sweeps that aren't also submissions, and be able to have more than just endless submission chaining as my trump card. Striking I simply need to not always be willing for the pace to change, I should dictate the pace instead of my opponent dictating at what speed they lose, some say I shouldn't throw sambo punches which makes me feel I should just throw them less, knowing their purpose, not that I throw them often.

I'd say it takes longer to master grappling, than it is striking. It's easier for a grappler to become proficient at striking, and even master striking. Especially if we're talking about a normal person and not someone who is naturally inclined towards the opposite art.

Anybody can be a decent grappler if they put in the time but striking is something you either get it or you don't.

I'd say generally it's harder to get the basics of grappling. I think the concept of striking is easier to understand. Everyone can throw a punch or a kick, but even the most basic grappling is very strange to most people.
Either way getting very skilled in either is equally hard.

Back