Which is better: Protein Bar or Protein Shake?

Well I thought this myself at first, but I found my stomach incredibly intolerant to the high amount of protein in the shakes (or possibly it was just the fact I got the vanilla flavour and it tastes like shit) so I looked into powders with "digestive enzymes" and found them a lot easier to keep down.

Having said that, I get most of my protein from food now anyhow.

There's quite a few reasons to explain that.

Number one for me would be are you slightly lactose intolerant

Shake for sure. Not only absorbed faster, but more is absorbed, period. Remember that for just about every supplment/Vitiman, generally 9 times out of 10 it is better to ingest it in Liquid form as oppose to pill/capsule/solid or whatever. Your body just absorbs it better..remember its not what you eat, its what you ABSORB lol

Well I thought this myself at first, but I found my stomach incredibly intolerant to the high amount of protein in the shakes (or possibly it was just the fact I got the vanilla flavour and it tastes like shit) so I looked into powders with "digestive enzymes" and found them a lot easier to keep down.

Having said that, I get most of my protein from food now anyhow.

No offense intended, but...

Sorry dude, but "digestive enzymes" are trash. At least the ones that you would take orally and not need a Rx for. Additionally most enzymes simply cannot be absorbed via the gut.

A great example is insulin. Ever wonder why diabetics that require insulin need to take a needle (and yes i am aware that they are now nasal sprays, and inhalers...but remember these do not go through the gut, it is a different type of absorbtion), because the gut destroys insulin (which is basically, a type of enzyme), it needs to be given Sub Q or IV.

And again, the chance that you are actually buying "digestive enzymes" over the counter...and what you are actually buying is what the label says it is...or actually works...let us just say that the odds are not in your favor!

Regarding the situation you mentioned above, there are numerous other factors that could have come into play that could/would explain your ability to now be able to better tolerate the protien...all of which do not require OTC "digestive enzymes"

At least the ones that you would take orally and not need a Rx for. Additionally most enzymes simply cannot be absorbed via the gut.

Bucket you already qualified your answer so this isn't a direct reply to you. I just find it amazing that some protease enzymes are in fact taken up by the gut and can have effects on muscle damage and inflammation. At first glance it's pretty bizarre.

BTW-There's a talk about this at ISSN this weekend.

No offense intended, but...

Sorry dude, but "digestive enzymes" are trash. At least the ones that you would take orally and not need a Rx for. Additionally most enzymes simply cannot be absorbed via the gut.

A great example is insulin. Ever wonder why diabetics that require insulin need to take a needle (and yes i am aware that they are now nasal sprays, and inhalers...but remember these do not go through the gut, it is a different type of absorbtion), because the gut destroys insulin (which is basically, a type of enzyme), it needs to be given Sub Q or IV.

And again, the chance that you are actually buying "digestive enzymes" over the counter...and what you are actually buying is what the label says it is...or actually works...let us just say that the odds are not in your favor!

Regarding the situation you mentioned above, there are numerous other factors that could have come into play that could/would explain your ability to now be able to better tolerate the protien...all of which do not require OTC "digestive enzymes"

None taken mate.

The "digestive enzymes" I spoke of are actually pre-biotics, which (allegedly) help in the stomach handling such large amounts of protein (as, after an intense workout, I'll down a protein shake containing up to 60g of protein)

I've found these beneficial in my stomach accepting the protein without bringing it back up, though there is a possibility this is merely a placebo effect, I like to put some faith in "science". But not too much, or I'll be walking around in a tinfoil hat and crapping myself whenever I see 2 men in black suits and sunglasses knocking on my door.

I don't know what I should eat post workout. I usually eat a power bar protein plus 23g, but I see there are shakes for whey protein also at about 23g. Which is better to use? what are the pros/ cons of each? Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

shakes are WAYYYYYY better

and also with shakes by using say 250ml of milk, your adding 10g more portein in the shake!

Making your own power shakes ensures you're not getting too much sugar and other crap that many of the bars have. Quite frankly, the powdered protien and whey taste pretty crappy with just water or milk but I blend it with a banana, half cup of skim milk, fresh strawberries and blueberries then add a few scoops of fat free strawberry yogart. I make a smoothie out of it but it's all natural and healthy. I drink one every morning for breakfast.

Carbs (including simple sugars) are a good thing PWO (Post Work Out), which is what he's interested in--not any other time of the fucking day and certainly not breakfest. Not your ghey-ass quick "pick me up" before yoga bullshit. Jesus fucking christ get this shit off the Sherdog homepage.

eating you're protein is always better.the only time humans are really supposed to get calories and nutrition through liquid is from breast milk.

stay away from bars,most of them are bad for you.if i had to choose between the 2 the shake is much-much better.

the only time i see a shake being real beneficial is post work out.alot of protein from meat is fatty which slows down digestion.

Back