Which is better: Protein Bar or Protein Shake?

The8Trifecta

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I don't know what I should eat post workout. I usually eat a power bar protein plus 23g, but I see there are shakes for whey protein also at about 23g. Which is better to use? what are the pros/ cons of each? Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Careful, though, get a protein powder with digestive enzymes in or you'll be puking it all back up within minutes

whey isolate shakes are absorbed quickest PWO

Also, bars tend to have a lot of sugar and/or other junk carbs.
With a powder, you can mix it with whatever you want to keep it "pure." (I mix mine with unsweetened soy milk, and it tastes quite good.)

Careful, though, get a protein powder with digestive enzymes in or you'll be puking it all back up within minutes

Wouldn't digestive enzymes be located in your stomach rather then the powder?

Why does a powder what to digest itself...I don't get it

Original poster- I would say go with the powder, the bar would take longer to digest and for your goals that would not be helpful

I don't know what I should eat post workout. I usually eat a power bar protein plus 23g, but I see there are shakes for whey protein also at about 23g. Which is better to use? what are the pros/ cons of each? Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Neither one.

Eat FOOD, lol.

Take a grilled chicken breast and some veggies and a 1/2 a banana with you to the gym and eat when you get done.

If that for some reason is not an option, the shakes are better IMO, they are liquid while is quicker to digest and get the nutrition back in your body. Not to mention you can mix and match to add carbs or fat or whatever to them.

1st of all, I've never ever tasted a protein bar that hasn't wanted to make me puke, so the shake wins it on that alone and plus your body will absorb/digest a protein shake faster.

I've not seen any solid evidence that fast absorption is really that important. If food is the best option after workout (and most agree it is), food is not assimilated nearly as rapidly as a protein shake. So by that logic, the shake would be "better" at least on that notion.

However, I don't think it's that important. Post-workout, any nutrients are appreciated by the body just about. What is "best" is relative to your goals.

PWO is one of the only times you will ever see me drinking a shake.

Wrong...Wrong...Wrong...

As "Ian Coe" mentioned, all the digestive enzymes that you require and in your stomach and intestines!

And on the topic of "digestive enzymes" that you buy at a supplement/healthfood store, they are not worth it. Any type of enzyme that you attempt to consume via your mouth will simply be broken down by the various digestive enzymes/acids of your stomach (unless you are taking a pharm grade prescribed product, given to you by a doctor or NP, for some type of GI defiency) these "digestive enzymes" (that you got at the supplement store) will just be broken down (and do not even get me started on the notion that most of the trash put in these things do not even closely resemble a "digestive enzyme" anyway!)

Back to the question at hand.
I would go with the shake, simply because it is easier to digest, and will get into your system that much quicker (as food needs to be broken down from solid form) and than have a good carb/protien meal a few hours after training (depending of course on your tolerance, current diet, time schedule, etc)

hope that helps!

Try to get it naturally from foods liek steak and chicken. The rest of it you can supplement with a good shake. If i may make a recommendation try ON 100% Whey Gold Standard.

And on the topic of "digestive enzymes" that you buy at a supplement/healthfood store, they are not worth it. Any type of enzyme that you attempt to consume via your mouth will simply be broken down by the various digestive enzymes/acids of your stomach (unless you are taking a pharm grade prescribed product, given to you by a doctor or NP, for some type of GI defiency) these "digestive enzymes" (that you got at the supplement store) will just be broken down (and do not even get me started on the notion that most of the trash put in these things do not even closely resemble a "digestive enzyme" anyway!)

lol So what's in a bottle of bromelain?

Making your own power shakes ensures you're not getting too much sugar and other crap that many of the bars have. Quite frankly, the powdered protien and whey taste pretty crappy with just water or milk but I blend it with a banana, half cup of skim milk, fresh strawberries and blueberries then add a few scoops of fat free strawberry yogart. I make a smoothie out of it but it's all natural and healthy. I drink one every morning for breakfast.

Wrong...Wrong...Wrong...

As "Ian Coe" mentioned, all the digestive enzymes that you require and in your stomach and intestines!

Well I thought this myself at first, but I found my stomach incredibly intolerant to the high amount of protein in the shakes (or possibly it was just the fact I got the vanilla flavour and it tastes like shit) so I looked into powders with "digestive enzymes" and found them a lot easier to keep down.

Having said that, I get most of my protein from food now anyhow.

i just hate the taste of bars, i don't feel full or energetic after eating them. I can't remember the last time i had one. If i'm in a bind with no protein i'll find a place to grab some milk, always does the trick.

Back