Which GOAT matches up best against the other GOATs?

blastoff

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So, the common consensus is that these guys are the GOATs (no particular order). Obviously not everyone will agree but these are the names that are most commonly brought up.

- GSP
- Jones
- Khabib
- Fedor
- Silva
- Aldo
- DJ

I'm an Anderson Silva fan but honestly he matches up extremely poorly against all of these dudes in a pound-for-pound sense.

Khabib, GSP, Jones, Fedor would all outwrestle him, and Aldo/DJ are 50-50 fights.

Tbh I think prime Aldo actually does the best here, because he is an elite striker that is a nightmare matchup for all grapplers.

Khabib, GSP, Jones, Fedor would all outwrestle him, and Aldo/DJ are 50-50 fights.
*assuming they're all the same size*

Fedor would outwrestle Silva but Demetrious Johnson possibly not?
{<huh}

*assuming they're all the same size*

Fedor would outwrestle Silva but Demetrious Johnson possibly not?
{<huh}
Fedor had a better top game than DJ so he'd do a better job on the mat

I think Silva would be able to do decent work off his back against DJ, and get back up when needed.

Fedor also had a variety of judo/sambo throws in his arsenal that Silva isn't used to

Fedor had a better top game than DJ so he'd do a better job on the mat

I think Silva would be able to do decent work off his back against DJ
I don't know man...
I rate Fedor highly, but i'd take the guy whose wrestling is almost on par with that of Cejudo, who imo should have lost their second fight.

I don't know man...
I rate Fedor highly, but i'd take the guy whose wrestling is almost on par with that of Cejudo, who imo should have lost their second fight.
Fedor is also less likely to run into a knee or uppercut from Silva since most of his takedowns are upper body based

I see where you're coming from though.

Obviously other people have other criteria, but i also think that in order to be a #1 GOAT candidate you'll have to be at least able to defensively deal very well with wrestling.

Silva's bjj helped him a lot, but being prone to wrestling is imo always a big weakness.

I don't know man...
I mean, we *have* seen Fedor fight high level wrestlers that are his size, and he beat them. The man had 83% TDD over the course of his career. He’s very hard to take down, and damn near impossible to hold down. Coleman couldn’t do it, neither could Randleman. Fedor had great sweeps and subs.

The thread answer btw, is Fedor. He’s got excellent striking and grappling, explosive submissions, KO power, and is very hard to take down. He matches up best P4P against any other GOAT candidate imho.

The thread answer btw, is Fedor. He’s got excellent striking and grappling, explosive submissions, KO power, and is very hard to take down. He matches up best P4P against any other GOAT candidate imho.
I think Khabib is Fedor's worst matchup

Fedor was prone to getting put on his back, but was able to armbar or explode his way out of most bad positions. I don't think he can submit Khabib off his back, or stop getting taken down for a full 3/5 round fight.

I think Khabib is Fedor's worst matchup

Fedor was prone to getting put on his back, but was able to armbar or explode his way out of most bad positions. I don't think he can submit Khabib off his back, or stop getting taken down for a full 3/5 round fight.
I don’t think it’s accurate to say that Fedor was prone to being taken down—but a lot of people seem to think that. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, he had 83% TDD over the course of his career. I don’t see any reason that Fedor, who is himself a Master of Sport in sambo and a high level judo black belt, would struggle with Khabib taking him down. Could Khabib take him down at some point? Sure he could. But I don’t think he keeps Fedor there, and probably Fedor lights him up standing.

I mean, we *have* seen Fedor fight high level wrestlers that are his size, and he beat them. The man had 83% TDD over the course of his career. He’s very hard to take down, and damn near impossible to hold down. Coleman couldn’t do it, neither could Randleman. Fedor had great sweeps and subs.
No doubt about that, i think Fedor is a very formidable grappler, i just think DJ is better in that regard.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say that Fedor was prone to being taken down—but a lot of people seem to think that. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, he had 83% TDD over the course of his career. I don’t see any reason that Fedor, who is himself a Master of Sport in sambo and a high level judo black belt, would struggle with Khabib taking him down. Could Khabib take him down at some point? Sure he could. But I don’t think he keeps Fedor there, and probably Fedor lights him up standing.
He's never faced a wrestler or grappler like Khabib though

Coleman and Randleman were good wrestlers but had nowhere near the array of moves Khabib has, and also had suspect submission defense/cardio.

I'm not going to use Bigfoot as an example because Fedor was past-prime and was outweighed by 50lbs, but a smaller Arona also had significant top time on Fedor and even mounted him. If Arona was allowed to punch from mount, that fight would've looked a lot different.

Prime Jones finishes all of them.

Back