Which Gloves Should I Buy?

for me I think I'll be happy with Combat sport's heavy bag gloves...

Unless someone wants to object on their products... prices are so low at this moment (Closeouts) at Combat sport not to mention, their prices were lowered before too as I've googled their products... like for eg, CombatSports Striking and Hybrid gloves were about $9 each pair few months ago, now they're at $15 to30... their original price about $45 and up to ...

Last edited:
thanks again for all of the replies! I am looking at a decent pair of gloves because I train 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day so I would like to buy a pair of gloves that will protect my hands, and last me for quite some time. I love the look of lace up gloves, but like earlier mentioned, its too much work :p... and I am fairly new to the forum, but what does a punchers glove mean? Also, the gloves I am going to purchase are going to be used mainly for bag and pad work, and not too much sparing (I'll have another pair for that)... and before anyone says anything, no I am not rich and/or spoiled. I work hard for the money that I save up to purchase these gloves, and I don't want my hard earned money going towards a pair of gloves that will not protect me or last. I don't mean to sound like a douche or anything, but I have a feeling someone is going to throw that statement eventually :p

Last edited:
We're almost on the same boat here,

Punching Gloves, perhaps he means similar to MMA bag Gloves.
Usually MMA Gloves are made for Grappling as well...

there is some difference
YouTube - MMA gloves dont hit harder than boxing gloves

To train as a heavy hitter, you have to get a well padded heavy bag punching/striking gloves rather than just a "Boxing regular glove"...

who agrees?

Last edited:
thanks again for all of the replies! I am looking at a decent pair of gloves because I train 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day so I would like to buy a pair of gloves that will protect my hands, and last me for quite some time. I love the look of lace up gloves, but like earlier mentioned, its too much work :p... and I am fairly new to the forum, but what does a punchers glove mean? Also, the gloves I am going to purchase are going to be used mainly for bag and pad work, and not too much sparing (I'll have another pair for that)... and before anyone says anything, no I am not rich and/or spoiled. I work hard for the money that I save up to purchase these gloves, and I don't want my hard earned money going towards a pair of gloves that will not protect me or last. I don't mean to sound like a douche or anything, but I have a feeling someone is going to throw that statement eventually :p

If you are going to be using the gloves primarily for bag work at this point, you are much better off getting a pair of dedicated super bag gloves, and most dedicated bag gloves come in hook and loop wrap around wrist closure for easy on and off convenience. There are several things than you may want to keep in mind, "if" you are not already aware of it.

* "Generally" speaking most people use two separate pairs of gloves, one for bag work, and one for sparring. Most people choose a 12oz. to 14oz. super bag glove for bag work, and a 16oz. to 18oz. sparring glove for sparring. And, don't use one in place of the other.

* Lace up gloves may be somewhat more difficult to get on, but provide better wrist support.

* A "puncher's" glove is a glove (usually a Mexican style glove, and Cleto Reyes gloves seem to be the most well known example of them) that has less padding, and padding of a denser composition over the knuckle area. They provide good protection for the user, but are not considered generally "friendly" to your sparring partners, althought they can certainly be used for sparring, they do not have thick and spongy padding.

* IMHO, you should buy the best gear that you can reasonably afford, and not be concerned with what other people think about the amount you spent on your gear. Some people may try to bust your b@lls with the FNG syndrome over your gear, but most people will see it as a serious commitment to train.

:icon_chee

thanks a lot ecs! I was looking specifically at the grant super bag gloves right now for my bag work... so just to confirm, with the cleto reyes gloves, would it be alright that I use them on the bag only? I'm going to be purchasing sparring gloves, but I would probably use Fairtex, Twins, Or windy gloves instead of grant or cleto reyes.

Again thanks so much for you're help, it's much appreciated :)

thanks a lot ecs! I was looking specifically at the grant super bag gloves right now for my bag work... so just to confirm, with the cleto reyes gloves, would it be alright that I use them on the bag only? I'm going to be purchasing sparring gloves, but I would probably use Fairtex, Twins, Or windy gloves instead of grant or cleto reyes.

Again thanks so much for you're help, it's much appreciated :)

Sure, you could use the Cleto Reyes All Purpose Training Gloves as bag gloves, if you want to do so. More than a few people use all purpose training gloves for bag work.

:icon_chee

Ya I am just asking because that's looking like the more economical option right now, but obviously the grant gloves seem more appealing and would probably do the job better... oh well time to do some research now... I'll make sure as well to put up a review when I finally decide what gloves to buy, and actually use them for a couple of weeks.

[email protected]
Email Mona at Shevlin and ask about the "extra rubber padded training gloves, 16oz"
Mention my name, Ben Pettit. That will get you the price of $75 a pair.

Their gloves are usually very soft, but they can add an extra layer of 3/4" sponge rubber padding in the glove. This helps the gloves retain shape when used for both sparring and bagwork aswell.

American made. Any colors you want. Custom made to order.

It says on their site they make these gloves in 40 and 60 oz!!!!!!
What the heck.How big are the gloves.Wish they had a picture on their site of someone wearing them .!!
MonsterGloves.jpg

Last edited:
It says on their site they make these gloves in 40 and 60 oz!!!!!!
What the heck.How big are the gloves.Wish they had a picture on their site of someone wearing them .!!
MonsterGloves.jpg

I've seen a video with a guy wearing 40oz gloves before, but just not this brand... if it's anything like the ones I saw, it's bigger than what you're probably picturing lmao its bigger than you're head... If the guy has his guard up and you punched him, it would probably warp around and clip him in the temple...

I've seen a video with a guy wearing 40oz gloves before, but just not this brand... if it's anything like the ones I saw, it's bigger than what you're probably picturing lmao its bigger than you're head... If the guy has his guard up and you punched him, it would probably warp around and clip him in the temple...

I dont really see the purpose for gloves that huge/heavy really.
You might as well take weights and shadow box with them or something.

I have both Twins bgv1's and Fairtex bgv1's in 16oz. I really like the Fairtex's a lot better. The Fairtex's aren't as bulky and I think the wrist support is better. Also CagesideMMA.com has a nice set of 16oz thai gloves.

Back