Which Gloves Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by StevenH, Sep 22, 2010.

1. StevenH

StevenH Orange Belt

I was looking into buying a new pair of bag gloves/sparring gloves for muay thai, and I am having some trouble deciding which pair to buy. I have mainly looked at Fairtex, Twins, Windy, and Grant so far, and I was wondering which brand would be the best for heavy bag work. If there are any other brands that are also good I wouldn't mind looking into them. From what I've read on reviews, fairtex and grant seem to be very good brands, but again I'm not too sure on which to buy. Budget is not really an issue, but I want to get the most bang for my buck, and I don't want to be throwing my money away. I would prefer durability over comfort, but obviously I don't want to be training much with uncomfortable gloves. Thanks in advance for reading and helping me out :)

2. Snowman3459

Snowman3459 Guest

3. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

The Fairtex BGV1's are very nice gloves. The BGV1's are an all-purpose training glove and can be used for bag, mitts, and sparring. Keep in mind that most people use separate pairs of gloves for bag work, and sparring.

:icon_chee

4. fightscience19

fightscience19 Orange Belt

[email protected]
    Email Mona at Shevlin and ask about the "extra rubber padded training gloves, 16oz"
    Mention my name, Ben Pettit. That will get you the price of $75 a pair.

Their gloves are usually very soft, but they can add an extra layer of 3/4" sponge rubber padding in the glove. This helps the gloves retain shape when used for both sparring and bagwork aswell.

American made. Any colors you want. Custom made to order.

5. Tr0gdor

Tr0gdor White Belt

If budget isn't an issue go with Winning :D If you are looking for hand protection and a glove that will last you it's the way to go..

I always hear good things about Fairtex.

I heard Grants are nice, but not the Campeon line.

A couple of people at my gym have Hayabusa gloves. I heard the leather is a bit hard, but the wrist support is great. It has a double velcro strap, but hard to get on the second hand (although no one seems to have a problem that I've seen).

You look into IMF Techs at all?

6. StevenH

StevenH Orange Belt

fightscience^^- that will definitely be another option that I will be looking into, they look like solid gloves, thanks :)... Will they be able to ship to Canada though?

trogdor^- I haven't been able to find too many reviews about winning gloves, which is why I've been hesitant to throw that much money into their gloves. From what I've already read, they sound amazing, but I'm still worried about throwing that much money in the glove and being dissapointed.

I will probably be looking into IMF Techs now

7. ShotokanWarrior

ShotokanWarrior White Belt

does anyone know what is a good pair of gloves for heavy bag training something similar to Everlast Evergel Striking Training on MMA warehouse...
    ttp://www.mmawarehouse.com/Everlast-Evergel-Striking-Training-Gloves-p/evl-1113.htm
    I'm sure there's more gloves out there I can look into before I get this one..

I'm looking for a pair of MMA gloves with thick and soft/good padding for heavy bags
    Where I can easily make and keep a tight fist through out training.

any suggestion?

8. Snowman3459

Snowman3459 Guest

Clearance at CombatSports.com

Combat Sports is having a sale, I bought the Hybrid MMA Gloves and decided to practice on a heavy bag...my knuckles are not cut up and they do not hurt after a full workout.

But even though you technically can use those against a heavy bag, it's not exactly recommended. Heavy bag work is meant for bag gloves, not MMA gloves.

9. binjin

binjin Blue Belt

10. ShotokanWarrior

ShotokanWarrior White Belt

ahh.. so many gloves I just need 1.

that's the problem lol.

11. ninjaunicorn

ninjaunicorn Green Belt

12. fightscience19

fightscience19 Orange Belt

Yes they can ship to Canada.

13. Tr0gdor

Tr0gdor White Belt

I did a crap ton of research before ordering my Winning gloves. I mainly found info on pure boxing sites/forums. If you do any research you'll see that a lot of pro boxers train with these gloves like Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Oscar De La Hoya (although I think he trains a lot with Cletos), even freakin Gina Carano trains with them :wink:. They wear these gloves because they are supposed to be the best (as far as protection)... they are also known for quality. Although, for sparring they are supposed to be pillowy. Your sparring partner will probably <3 you for it and so will your hands. As far as trying to hurt someone I'd say go with Cletos.

There is a link for a thread about Winnings: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f16/winning-gloves-they-worth-707027/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  14. Gonzaginator

Gonzaginator Brown Belt

Grant or Ringside IMF Tech

Klitschko uses the Ringside IMF Tech (lace ups) for bag / pad work. As far as putting them on the first time there is not a single glove that will feel as comfortable as the Ringside IMF Tech (lace ups). I couldn't believe it when I put them on the first time, it's like they made the glove for my hand only. I just love them. Also they are very, very well padded.

Most of the best boxers out there I think use Grant over Winning now. Mayweather strictly uses Grant when he trains even though a while ago he used Winning only.

If you don't want to spend that type of money on the premium gloves (Grant, Winning) go with the Ringside IMF Tech. They're on sale right now even though the pink version looks a little gay. :icon_lol:

I can also highly recommend the Hayabusa 10 oz bag gloves, they're around 70 bucks I think.

15. StevenH

StevenH Orange Belt

thanks for all of the replies so far! Right now, I think I am narrowing down between Fairtex, Grant and Winning. The only thing that is hesitating me from buying winning gloves is that I can buy two or three pairs of fairtex gloves for the same price as one pair of winnings. I obviously want what is going to protect my hand the most, but at the same time I can't help but feel that if I bought a pair of winnings, I could have had a couple of pairs of fairtex gloves. Even with a pair of 12oz winnings costing $240, grant has their top training glove listed at $199. For $50 less, and a quality glove, Grant would appear to be the best economical choice.

Cleto Reyes would be an option as well, but it seems to be hard to find any gloves made for the mexican market. There's a pair on ebay right now for only $100? seems kind of suspicious...
    CLETO REYES BOXING,KICKBOXING,MUAY THAI,MMA GLOVES 16r - eBay (item 130434757504 end time Oct-22-10 13:01:23 PDT)

CLETO REYES SAFETEC GLOVES FOR FIGHTS AND TRAINING - eBay (item 280499187760 end time Oct-24-10 14:06:52 PDT)

and another pair for $105... if its legit, then I think I'm going to make my purchase right now, but I can't help but feel its almost too good to be true...

16. Gonzaginator

Gonzaginator Brown Belt

The seller is legit. Quality wise the Reyes are right up there with Winning & Grant, only problem is that they are more like punchers gloves.

17. Sensei Cecil

Sensei Cecil White Belt

don't get $100+ gloves unless you're competing

I don't see the point of 200+$ lace up gloves for MT anyway. I'm sure their wrist protection is on another level, but I've already got problems grabbing people with the Hayabusas.

18. Tr0gdor

Tr0gdor White Belt

Cletos would be awesome to have, but I dunno if they should be your first purchase if you are using them for training. Like Gonzaginator said they are more of a punchers glove. They aren't going to be as nice on your hands.

And I really don't think it's true that you shouldn't spend more than $100 on gloves unless you are competing. If you are training in the gym 2+ days a week for years a couple hundred bucks on gloves that protect your hands isn't really asking much.

I've heard good things about Fairtex & Grants. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed if you went with any of the ones you are thinking about.

19. Sensei Cecil

Sensei Cecil White Belt

I'm sure there are several <$100 16oz gloves sparring gloves that protect your hands just as well:icon_lol:. You should be more concerned with getting protective gloves for bagwork and my 70$ boon 12oz do a great job at that. Get good gear, but don't go overboard unless you're competing, 200+ pounds of muscle, a collector or rich enough that it makes no difference.

Nobody in my MT gym uses lace up gloves simply because they're inconvenient.

20. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

I would take "Gonzaginator's" advice and look at the Ringside IMF Tech Training Gloves. I have two pairs of the ones they sell for $99.00 in 16oz. and 18oz. Lace Ups, and they are exceptionally nice gloves. I did not purchase the Red/White, ones so, I can't really comment on those, however, quite a few people here have, and like them.

I couldn't get the Ebay link you posted to open for the Cletos, but, recognize the wording, and if the seller is Mexicanfightgear, it is legit like "Gonzaginator" said, as I rececently purchased some from him, and the gloves and service are great, but they are a fairly firm punchers style glove, and you would probably be much better suited with the IMF's.

:icon_chee