Which GI is better :ATAMA or KORAL ? AND WHICH lighter ?

genkisudo69

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
hey guys i just want to now which gi is better for you koral or atama . and due to some weight problems in competitions i want to know which gi is lighter . thanks in advance!

I prefer Koral for being a lightweight gi. It's almost the same as my Brezek summer weave gi although the collar is slightly stiffer. I think Atama have done summer weaves before though so if you see one of them around it could be worth trying on.

Superbeast said:
I prefer Koral for being a lightweight gi. It's almost the same as my Brezek summer weave gi although the collar is slightly stiffer. I think Atama have done summer weaves before though so if you see one of them around it could be worth trying on.

then the koral gi is lighter than atama ?

I have only worn an Atama a couple of times when I first started (spare club gi that stunk really, really fucking bad) and I found it a little tight under my armpits and heavier than the blue Koral gi I own now. So yes, in my experience Koral gis are lighter than Atama gis.

Never had a Koral gi, but I got a blue, single weave Atama.
I've posted somewhere before about it, and I think it's a great lightweight gi.

they are comparable if you have the extra money to waste get a koral.

I own an atama and it is a fine gi.. Durable, comfortable...

Koral is more flashy badged up gi...
You seriously cant go wrong with either so get he cheaper of the two.

I never wore a Koral but i own a gold weave atama and I think it is a great gi.

I have both. I prefer the Koral. The Koral top is one piece, but single weave, so it is light. I don't like the middle, back seam on the Atama. When I roll, that seam rubs like a bitch on my spine. I also prefer the cut on the Koral. It is closer fitting, but I can still move. The Atama cut is fuller. When I stand to show my profile, you can see more material bunching in the back on my Atama than my Koral. I also prefer the rubberized collar on my Koral. It feels more hygenic and dries faster than my Atama cotton collar. I also think my Koral collar is thicker, but it may be the rubber.

UltimaMMA said:
I have both. I prefer the Koral. The Koral top is one piece, but single weave, so it is light. I don't like the middle, back seam on the Atama. When I roll, that seam rubs like a bitch on my spine. I also prefer the cut on the Koral. It is closer fitting, but I can still move. The Atama cut is fuller. When I stand to show my profile, you can see more material bunching in the back on my Atama than my Koral. I also prefer the rubberized collar on my Koral. It feels more hygenic and dries faster than my Atama cotton collar. I also think my Koral collar is thicker, but it may be the rubber.
feels more hygenic??????? WTF? does it smell like rubbing alcohol?

Rubber doesn't soak in sweat like cotton. That is what I meant by hygenic.

Only invest if you are going to stay!

With a little shopping around, I went with Koral. Our lead instructor likes Atama but 70% of our school uses Koral and the gi's hold up for many years.

I know I'm staying active with traning so I invested in a quality gi. Several new guys bought the least expensive they could find because they weren't sure if this was for them. The diffence could be half price!

Koral recommends to find the gi with your regular size and purchase the next size smaller.

Good Luck

they are comparable if you have the extra money to waste get a koral.

I own an atama and it is a fine gi.. Durable, comfortable...

Koral is more flashy badged up gi...
You seriously cant go wrong with either so get he cheaper of the two.

Any "extra" money would have to go towards an Atama. They are VERY expensive now and they are horrible if you're like me: needing an A4.

I have never worn an Atama but I do have a Koral MKM which I really like.

not sure which is lighter, but everybody at my school raves abouy Koral...

you guys realize this thread was started in 2005?

l have tried both gi and personally l perfer Koral. Atama gold weave is good but koral fits me better. maybe because l have a small frame. those who are build bigger might fit better into an atama gi.

Back