Which gi can you recommend?

C

chokingvictim

I'm not sure if anyone has tried either of these out, but I've narrowed down my choices to one of the following:

OUNAO blue gold weave (w/ pants) $90
Atama blue double weave (w/ pants) $130 - this one looks like it has a thinner material in the bottom half of the gi whereas the first one does not
Atama blue gold weave (w/ pants) $110 - same as the Atama double weave, looks like thinner material at bottom, unlike the Ounao
Warrior-one double weave $90 - also thinner material bottome half of gi

Do most BJJ gis have the thinner material on the bottom half of the gi? Or is this usually not the first part of the gi to tear? I am very willing to spend a few extra dollars on a good gi that will last, and although the double weave is probably much heavier I won't mind it. If anything it will give me a better workout.

I've got the Ouano blue and white arriving from SSF either today or tomorrow. I'll post some really good pics as soon as I get them and write a review after I roll around a bit.

fat_wilhelm said:
I've got the Ouano blue and white arriving from SSF either today or tomorrow. I'll post some really good pics as soon as I get them and write a review after I roll around a bit.

Excellent, thanks! I don't get paid until Friday anyways and so I won't be placing any orders until early next week.

But as far as my other question, do you notice the difference between all the Atama gis and the Ouano? The Atama's lower half is a much thinner material than the upper half, whereas the Ouano is the same thickness everywhere. I know the Atama's are quality because everyone at my school has one (they all got the single weave for like $70 through the instructor, but I want something more durable than single and i don't trust that thin skirt/bottom half).
Is that bottom half of the gi usually never grabbed/torn? Because as with my judo gi, it seems like it wouldn't take much to tear it at the bottom which is why I'm already looking for a new one.

I'm a relative NOOB, so I won't be able to answer your question there, but I'm sure Ron from SSF will chime in before too long and let you know. He sells the Ouano's and rolls in a black one from time to time, I believe, and is familiar w/ almost every gi out there.

The skirt does tear on BJJ gis just like they do in Judo gis. Atamas have a nice cut but I'm not a fan of the cotton skirt. The Ouano is a great buy on a gold weave. There isn't anything wrong with a single weave, they are light weight and can last a long time when made right (HCK, Koral). That being said the Mizuno Rickson Gracie gis have a cotton skirt yet the cut is so good that it's still one of my all time favorite gis.

Sirius has a new gold weave one piece on the way and Kikskin makes a great single weave without the cotton skirts. You have a lot of choices out there and most of them are good.

I have been rolling in a black Ouano gi and I love it. Make sure to wash it in cold and hang dry it. I'm starting to wear it over my blacck Gameness. I like the red trim at the bottom goes with my SSF shorts when I train Sambo style :D

www.SSFgear.com

Atama & Ouano are both quality gis. Single weave is fine, but it can tear. I use a single & have not any ripping.

Stay away from double weave for everyday use, it is just too thick. Double weave is more for tournament use. I use a single, but also have a double weave. The jacket weighs literally 10lb when it gets soaked with sweat. I get way too hot & it's extremely uncomfortble.

Gold weave is as strong as a double, but as light as a single. Thats probably your best bet.

www.Mkimonos.com

My personal favorite of all the gi's I've worn. The weave is perfect, and my favorite cut of all the gi's I've worn.(HCK, Gameness, Atama). Although the collar on the gi is thin, I haven't gotten choked out more or less because of the gi. The pants haven't shrunk at all even after washing it in the drier. And most of their gi's are pretty lowpro.

Another one of my favorites is the Gameness gi that I bought from SSFGear.com. The platinum weave is so much more comfy compared to other gold weaves. The collar is the thickest I've ever seen on a gi. Great to choke people with, and gives you a slight advantage when rolling with people. Whenever I roll with someone with a gameness I appreciate the gi more and more, The collar makes it hard for me to ever get a good grip.

steeltf said:
chokingvictim: What size do you wear? I have a Koral Kimino for sale, if your interested.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=326288

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/mmagearhere/IMAG0232.jpg

Let me know.

I'm under 6 ft tall, probably about 5' 10.5" maybe? About 175 lbs, but I don't look that heavy at all, I'm pretty slim/average weight I guess. My current Pro Force gi is a size 5, but I think gi's in Brazil use a different sizing, and I'm sure other international companies also have their own sizing.
Did this gi not fit you right? Or was it just uncomfortable?

steeltf said:
This gi would fit you. It fit me fine and I'm almost the same build as you. 6'0'' and I fluctuate in your weight range also. It is a size A2. It fit me great. It hasn't seen use yet. I only tried it on. It is truly a great gi.

http://jiujitsuprogear.com//product...d=283&osCsid=04cfb3b97776e7039ff96004047ffa28

I can get it to you a lot cheaper. You can e-mail me at [email protected], with a possible offer and we can work something out, if your interested.

Thanks. You've got an email.

I would say, based on your initial post, you can not possibly go wrong with an Atama. If you money is not an issue. I believe the top three gi's are Keiko Raca, Koral and Atama. Lots of people swear by the Atama. Either way, I will say this. Of the well known gi's I have, Koral, WAR, ATAMA, Keiko Raca, Adidas, Mkimono's, HCK. I would say the Atama is the most comfortable, and by a big margine, followed right behind it in comfort would have to be Mkimono's. Now if were talking looks, I like the Keiko, Koral and WAR. Atama is as good as quality as anything that has ever been made, and probably the most preferred gi in all of BJJ.

Looks like I'm getting the Koral from steeltf, thanks again for the good deal!

chokingvictim said:
I'm not sure if anyone has tried either of these out, but I've narrowed down my choices to one of the following:

OUNAO blue gold weave (w/ pants) $90
Atama blue double weave (w/ pants) $130 - this one looks like it has a thinner material in the bottom half of the gi whereas the first one does not
Atama blue gold weave (w/ pants) $110 - same as the Atama double weave, looks like thinner material at bottom, unlike the Ounao
Warrior-one double weave $90 - also thinner material bottome half of gi

Do most BJJ gis have the thinner material on the bottom half of the gi? Or is this usually not the first part of the gi to tear? I am very willing to spend a few extra dollars on a good gi that will last, and although the double weave is probably much heavier I won't mind it. If anything it will give me a better workout.

Hey Choking,

Thanks for considering our gi. Sounds like you got a good deal, so enjoy the Koral. Just a quick correction on our gi, our material at the bottom isn't thinner. It is all the same thickness, it just has a traditional judo gi rice pattern on our white and blue gi's, whereas our black gi's don't have the rice pattern.

Also, for others considering a double weave and worrying about it being too heavy and hot, you'll want to know that there are many different weighted gi's out there.
From my understanding a "double weave" gi can be considered anything 750 grams more. Some of the heaviest gi's are about 1,050 grams. Ours is 900 grams, because I think that is the most comfortable thickness to not overheat or get too heavy, and yet is extremely durable. So when checking out a gi, I'd recommend you ask the company what weight it is.

Take care,

Keven
www.warrior-one.com

As I said go with the LA that Luciana has up on the site. Great fucking gi or the Gameness which is also superb. The downside is that both have wierd designs on them. LA has the gay gold writing on the tail, and Gameness has the patches.

they're no longer available, but my first gis were Rednose and they were very sturdy, but the cut a bit boxy, for lack of a better term. I also own a pair of atama mundial gi's, which I believe are gold weave, and they are (by comparison) wonderful. I especially liked the cut of the sleeves being less baggy, and there was enough room about the shoulders for a nice full range of motion. The atamas fit better overall for my frame (short but wide-shouldered).

I've never had any ripping or tearing with any of these gis.

I haven't tried one myself, but a fella I used to train with was swearing by his Korals-- was very complimentary of the way it seemed to form fit him with each washing.

Another vote for Mkimonos..

If you can.. order a Mkimonos top, and a set of Mizuno or atama pants.....

other gis ive tried
Keiko racca, Mizuno, atama, Lutador Americana, Dragao

Im interested in trying out one of the Sirius ones.. but i have yet to check them out.

Gsoares2 said:
Another vote for Mkimonos..

If you can.. order a Mkimonos top, and a set of Mizuno or atama pants.....

That would make a great gi. I love the old Mkimono tops and the Mizuno pants are the best.

www.SSFgear.com

yeah i think im going to order a set of mizuno pants to go with my top..
They are the best..

The pair i have is a set from a judo kimono that was a 4.5.. to say the least they are HUGE.

SSF Can you get mizunos? just the pants?

Sorry for the hijack.

Back