Which fighters have wasted their talent for wrong decision?

lol wtf? Ilyukhin is one of the dirtiest fighters in MMA history. He's garbage.

I remember him going nuts in his very last MMA bout against Jordanas Poskaitis, he got lucky to only get a yellow card at that K1 HERO's event... but Poskaitis started the illegal stuff, so I guess it kinda evens things out.

I guess he's mainly disliked for cheating against Randy Couture, and for his infamous "chin to the eye" submission against Igor ^^'

Also, Akhmed Sadidguseinov let him win back in the IAFC tournament, so he (Mikhail) would be fresh against Ricardo Morais (one example of a thrown fight that doesn't get mentioned very often).

edit: well look at that impeccable timing, someone wrote an article on his shadiness just a few months ago!
https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/The-Shady-Legacy-of-Mikhail-Ilyukhin-179133

(Very complete article by the way, nothing to add <mma4>)

Last edited:
I would go in and also mention Sergey Kharitonov. He should have go to UFC back in 2008 to develope his mma-career further. Possible debute opponent would be Brandon Vera.

Still not sure why Shields fought at 170 in the UFC after beating Dan Henderson at 185.

Also, Ed Ruth was undefeated at 185 and then lost three fights at 170.

He was at 185 in Strikeforce to avoid Nick.

He didn't like MW -- I think it was hard for him being vegan to maintain that size.

I would go in and also mention Sergey Kharitonov. He should have go to UFC back in 2008 to develope his mma-career further. Possible debute opponent would be Brandon Vera.

That one is pretty tough... did Sergei make a bad decision when he went to K1/GLORY?
He was pretty successful for a MMA striker, moving to Golden Glory after PRIDE ended (his losses were to the elite of the elite, Daniel Ghita, Rico Verhoven,etc...),
and his recent interest in boxing
(I've time stamped Sergei's KO over Osborn "Big Daddy" Machimana from June 2021, just a few months ago)

/bare-knuckle might mean that after all these years, he still regretted not having stuck to boxing in 2007, or in 2011 after his last amateur stint with Team Baku Fires at the now defunct WSB.

For some reason Sergei's amateur boxing bouts & his World Series of Boxing matches aren't listed on his wiki page, but his match against Filip "Hrga" Hrgovic (current WBC & IBF Super Heavyweight champion, after a very successful amateur career) is worth giving it a look.

Sergei lost a split decision, but he looked really good in there considering how good of a boxer Filip "Stoneman" Hrgovic is

(for reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filip_Hrgović )

At least in his amateur career Sergei had the good taste of only losing to future badasses, like Robert "The Nordic Nightmare" Helenius ,

who is set to rematch Adam "Babyface" Kownacki on the undercard of Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder 3 next month <mma4>
(Helenius handing Kownacki his first and only defeat last year was a huge upset, let's see if he can do it again)

ANYWAY

Sergei TKO'ing the Tyson Killa , Danny "The Brixton Bomber" Williams last year was cool and all, but Danny was way past his prime.
I mean, the dude challenged Vitali Klitschko for the WBC belt in 2004, Sergei is no spring chicken either, but...

Sadly Sergei is not enough of a big name to squeeze $$$ out of some dumbass youtuber, anyone googling his name would say "I told you I wanted small dudes who can't box for shit, can't we get Royce Gracie or something? Let's call out Cesar Gracie so then I can look tough, shit talking the Diaz brothers and insult all the Gracies in one swoop"

I guess Sergei could call out his old MMA nemesis Aleksander Emelianenko for a rematch in the boxing ring?
It could make some decent numbers in Russia, if they hype it as a "winner gets Datsik" mini tournament ^^
I still want to watch Aleks vs Datsik as an absolute priority, but I'd love to watch Sergei in there too.

Many many moons ago, on this very forum, shertards would often say that one of the best high-level HW boxing bout we could get with MMA fighters was Sergei vs Andrei Arlovski.

Back when AA was training under Freddie Roach, Roach kept saying that Andrei was going to go full boxing before 2010 and all, and that he was confident that AA had the boxing skills to compete at high level and all.
He even had a boxing bout scheduled for after his fight with Brett Rogers, Strikeforce gave their OK and all, but after getting blitzd by Brett, that was never brought up again.

After the Brett defeat, AA would break up with Freddie Roach, and start training under Greg Jackson.

I'd still love to watch Arlovski give boxing a shot, especially if a rematch with Sergei is in it for him...
Or fuck it, Arlovski vs Vitor Belfort!

Last edited:
Vitaly Minakov wasted his prime with contract issues in Bellator

Vitaly Minakov wasted his prime with contract issues in Bellator

That is true. Vitaly for me should have been in UFC. Do not know how far he would go but at that time 2013 he could have earned some wins over Travis Browne, Stefan Struve and Frank Mir

I remember him going nuts in his very last MMA bout against Jordanas Poskaitis, he got lucky to only get a yellow card at that K1 HERO's event... but Poskaitis started the illegal stuff, so I guess it kinda evens things out.

I guess he's mainly disliked for cheating against Randy Couture, and for his infamous "chin to the eye" submission against Igor ^^'

Also, Akhmed Sadidguseinov let him win back in the IAFC tournament, so he (Mikhail) would be fresh against Ricardo Morais (one example of a thrown fight that doesn't get mentioned very often).

edit: well look at that impeccable timing, someone wrote an article on his shadiness just a few months ago!
https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/The-Shady-Legacy-of-Mikhail-Ilyukhin-179133

(Very complete article by the way, nothing to add <mma4>)
Patrik Kincl was on 7 fight win streak back in 2018 and had offer from UFC....but he decided to rather take money fight vs Karlos Vemola in regional promotion, and lost....

BTW
He also most likely didnt receive promised money as the promotion later went bankrupt.

Last edited:
Who was that kid who ended his ma career for wow?

Back