Which Fighters Currently have the best footwork?

1. Aldo
2. Holloway
3. Wonderboy
4. Jones
5. DC

k3GoIn1.jpg

giphy.gif

Belfort loves some feet! Joanne's, Anderson's, Lyoto's...

Aldo gets my vote. Best pivot ever in MMA.

TJ is up there, Max too.

Well yeah, Loma makes Iaquinta, Cruz, Dillashaw, Dj and every other MMA fighter look amateur when it comes to footwork. He has the most evasive footwork whilst also being extremely efficient. He doesn't over emphasize and over-do it like Cruz, he also has excellent shot selection.

Usyk has some excellent footwork too.

Different guys have effective footwork, but I usually credit guys that create angles. The in and out shit is effective but not my jam

Cruz mentions in footwork threads always make my eyes bleed.

Because people that don’t know shit about footwork or MMA fans that (incorrectly) wish to grant credit to him for “MMA footwork” are in both cases full of shit. Cruz literally ran around his career on twinkle toes, placing zero effort EVER on planting enough to land a power punch. He didn’t incorporate effective boxing head movement or slips... he simply out ran opponents under the guise of being in the lighter weight-class. It was nothing but herky-jerky bullshit. I was so glad Cody put it to rest...

Because people that don’t know shit about footwork or MMA fans that (incorrectly) wish to grant credit to him for “MMA footwork” are in both cases full of shit. Cruz literally ran around his career on twinkle toes, placing zero effort EVER on planting enough to land a power punch. He didn’t incorporate effective boxing head movement or slips... he simply out ran opponents under the guise of being in the lighter weight-class. It was nothing but herky-jerky bullshit. I was so glad Cody put it to rest...
Cruz invests a lot of energy into his style, it’s definitely a more wild style, almost unteachable. He does so knowing it may require 25 minutes pace so he does have to sacrifice a bit of offense to favor speed.

But it obviously worked for him, he was the face of 135 pound division for a long time due to that style. Garbrandt putting in the best performance, nearly flawless, doesn’t take away from Cruz’s style. An old, weathered, aging Cruz still went the distance against a hard hitting, equally fast or faster Garbrandt.

Fancy footwork: Conor McGregor, TJ Dillashaw, Max Holloway, Tony Ferguson, Cody Garbrandt, Dominick Cruz.

Good Standard footwork: Tyron Woodley (Yeah I said Tyron motherf*ker) Daniel Hooker, Anthony Pettis, Alexander Gustafsson, Dominick Reyes,
A lack of footwork is the reason Tyrone lost to Usman... let Marty keep circling away from his power hand and pressuring him against the cage

Cruz invests a lot of energy into his style, it’s definitely a more wild style, almost unteachable. He does so knowing it may require 25 minutes pace so he does have to sacrifice a bit of offense to favor speed.

But it obviously worked for him, he was the face of 135 pound division for a long time due to that style. Garbrandt putting in the best performance, nearly flawless, doesn’t take away from Cruz’s style. An old, weathered, aging Cruz still went the distance against a hard hitting, equally fast or faster Garbrandt.

It worked for a long time since opponents mistakenly thought the way to counter his style was to move more and follow him around the cage, they ended up playing his game and losing. It's like standing in front of a Diaz brother and trading punches, you're fighting in their world and trying to beat them at what they do best, it's note exactly the path to success.

The way to beat Cruz is clean efficient footwork, move less and make him come to you with his less than potent offence and counter him hard instead of chasing him around. TJ's best sequences in his fight came this way and this was also how Garbrandt landed all those clean punches on Cruz. Fighters with good clean footwork like Aldo or Shevchenko would run a clinic on Cruz, fortunately for him he never face anyone like that until he ran into Garbrandt.

Tony Ferguson plodding..? When have you seen a plodding break dancer? Tony incorporates a lot of break dance moves in his fighting and makes it work, plodding is not a word I would use for Tony...

ru2132r0HHtLVao3wu7IU8OS63epiQuy5v10dndGEuE.gif

tumblr_nb7o0eJoPs1tcfs15o1_400.gif
Plodding fighters don't move like this...
You can be a great scrambler and and awful at moving in striking distances. They are different things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back