Which fighter is good at getting past jabs without using jabs

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Are there any fighters out there really good at getting past his opponents' jabs without using the jab at all, or just sporadically?

I guess this primarily refers to pure boxers. In kick fighting, you can obviously throw kicks, so that is too obvious. But what about just boxers or even grapplers in MMA?

Are there any boxers that get past the jab without using jabs, and are there grapplers who can get the clinch without relying of their own jabs?

Who are good examples to watch on youtube if any?

Pure boxers would absolutely use jabs, if you want guys who get past jabs without jabbing, you look at all the other guys.

Frazier/Ali I. Frazier got past one of the best jabs in HW boxing History.

What do you mean by getting past? Get on the inside?

Pure boxers would absolutely use jabs, if you want guys who get past jabs without jabbing, you look at all the other guys.

Frazier/Ali I. Frazier got past one of the best jabs in HW boxing History.

I mean pure boxers as in guys who only compete in boxing, not boxers with the most skill.

I went on vacation after I started this thread, so I am bumping it.

Tyson jabbed a lot himself at least in his prime.

Frazeir was already mentioned. Marciano had underrated skills, Duran, Hagler vs Hearns, I dont know his career good enough to name specific fights but Henry Armstrong, Foreman had a good jab but in some fights he simply parried jabs and bullied his way forward.

Sort of hard to say, considering it's the most versatile punch in straight boxing. I really don't know anyone who works completely off of hooks/uppercuts/looping style punches... Unless you talk about kickboxing. Then there's always Zambidis.

I think Pavlik vs Hopkins is a good example of a fight where one fighter jabbed a lot more but got beat by a guy who used everything else better. I'm not claiming Pavlik is a great jabber, but he threw a lot of jabs and everything came behind his double jab. His problem was that he threw it way too predictably and Hopkins would time it and counter or know what was coming and defend without much trouble. Pavlik threw it a lot more but he didn't know how to use the jab as well as Hopkins. Despite throwing the double jab constantly, he obviously didn't have a better control of range than Hopkins.

Hopkins is excellent at neutralizing jabs from the outside. Did that to Pavlik and Winky.

What bout PBF? I see him throwing those lead crosses all the time and finding its mark on a lot of guys who jab.

Also I think Fedor leads off with those looping russian hooks, and beats guys that way. I am sure many of the fighters he has beaten have been drilled to use jabs to keep guys outside.

Floyd is very good at discouraging poorly thrown jabs, yes. But he couldn't do dick against DLH's jab until he gassed, and Zab's lightning fast jab threw his timing off for nearly 5 rounds. Although, mentioning him reminds me of Castillo, who got past Floyd's jab just fine with elevation changes and clever positioning.

Back