which fighter from other MA would have most success in MMA?

listrahtes

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
What fighter who has not started MMA fighting to this day would you prefer seing in the UFC?

Who would have the best chance to succeed to championship material.

Please only active fighters who are not too old to make the transition.

Pride back then did cast some fighters like that right out of their specific martial art like Pavel Nastula.
These high level turnovers did get paid well from the beginning and were a welcomed breath of fresh air into mma. UFC could really profit doing that.

Please post a highlight video of your choosen fighter.

To me its really Rico Verhoeven

profile:mag-996x562

Height: 1,96m
weight: 258 lbs
reach: 77

Love his kickbox fighting style. He has the physical atributes much like Overeem. Even better in stand up minus the ground fighting skills.

With the right coaches Verhoeven imo could become champ at HW. He would demolish Ngannou or Stipe in straight stand up. Question would be how he would adapt to wrestling / ground fighting.

so, what are your picks for the possibly most successfull transfer into MMA from the world of boxing,judo,kickboxing,mt,karate, Wing Chun :D, BJJ, wrestling....etc. ?

Last edited:
Jordan Burroughs would be the obvious choice. Still only early 30s and a physical specimen.

What fighter who has not started MMA fighting to this day would you prefer seing in the UFC?

Who would have the best chance to succeed to championship material.

Pride back then did cast some fighters like that right out of their specific martial art like Pavel Nastula.
These high level turnovers did get paid well from the beginning and were a welcomed breath of fresh air into mma. UFC could really profit doing that.

Please post a highlight video of your choosen fighter.

To me its really Rico Verhoeven

profile:mag-996x562

Height: 1,96m
weight: 258 lbs
reach: 77

Love his kickbox fighting style. He has the physical atributes much like Overeem. Even better in stand up minus the ground fighting skills.

With the right coaches Verhoeven imo could become champ at HW. He would demolish Ngannou or Stipe in straight stand up. Question would be how he would adapt to wrestling / ground fighting.

so, what are your picks for the possibly most successfull transfer into MMA from the world of boxing,judo,kickboxing,mt,karate, Wing Chun :D, BJJ, wrestling....etc. ?

I find it peculiar that you pick a guy like Rico Veerhoven, a good, but not great kickboxer who very clearly benefited from a weak division during his reign.

Why not Badr Hari, who in his prime would have murdered Veerhoven? Or Schilt who was a much better and bigger kickboxer? Or Bonjasky? All much better strikers than Rico.

I find it peculiar that you pick a guy like Rico Veerhoven, a good, but not great kickboxer who very clearly benefited from a weak division during his reign.

Why not Badr Hari, who in his prime would have murdered Veerhoven? Or Schilt who was a much better and bigger kickboxer? Or Bonjasky? All much better strikers than Rico.

Because Rico is still active. Next fight 12/2019 against Hari .

Dont think it makes much sense to put in retired fighters from the past. And Schilt did try out MMA and imo he was just too tall and would have fallen victim to the wrestlers in UFC.

Verhoeven imo gets underestimated. If we are talking my favourite HW Kickboxer from the past changing to mma that would have been Aerts. Appreciate his fighting style a lot.

But topic of this thread is fighters who could transfer now into mma and be successful in the UFC.

Teddy Riner might be good. I doubt he ever will because of how much money he has already made from judo & sponsorships, but he is undefeated in judo for over 10 years. Absolute unit of a man and great footwork. 6'8 and 289. 10-time world champion and only 30 years old. Has the advantage in the clinch and on the ground against almost anyone, we don't know about his striking.

Kyle Snyder. He's only 23 and is already an Olympic gold medalist, 2x world champion, and 3x NCAA champion. And most importantly, he's already expressed interest in MMA. He'd compete at LHW or HW, which are two divisions that desperately need talent.

Schilt did a ton of MMA while he was in his prime?

Kyle Snyder. He's only 23 and is already an Olympic gold medalist, 2x world champion, and 3x NCAA champion. And most importantly, he's already expressed interest in MMA. He'd compete at LHW or HW, which are two divisions that desperately need talent.
This is the obvious choice.

5 years ago Loma would've been my number one pick. He's getting older, though.

Teddy Riner might be good. I doubt he ever will because of how much money he has already made from judo & sponsorships, but he is undefeated in judo for over 10 years. Absolute unit of a man and great footwork. 6'8 and 289. 10-time world champion and only 30 years old. Has the advantage in the clinch and on the ground against almost anyone, we don't know about his striking.

Problem with Riner is Judo Association. They downright hate MMA and try everything to discredit it. Were other martial arts encourage their athletes to test themselves in mma your are kind of a pariah in Judo if you want to do it with all kind of threats against you. Especially in France. Thats imo the real reasoning why he would never even try. Read somewhere that he has contracts that specifically forbid him participating in MMA.

Yep Snyder is also on my radar. I would love if the UFC would give him top dollars to make the transition. They HAVE to invest into their future stars. You cant give someone like Snyder a standard UFC entry contract he would laugh himself to death about it. He could really be a future superstar in the UFC! Great choice

I do think Verhoeven would fits so good at the moment because of how weak the HW division is.
Imo with one year MMA training he could wreak havoc and get to a title fight.

Problem with Riner is Judo Association. They downright hate MMA and try everything to discredit it. Were other martial arts encourage their athletes to test themselves in mma your are kind of a pariah in Judo if you want to do it with all kind of threats against you. Especially in France. Thats imo the real reasoning why he would never even try. Read somewhere that he has contracts that specifically forbid him participating in MMA.
I looked into it a little more and not only is MMA is illegal in France but he doesn't like MMA himself.
ttp://bleacherreport.com/articles/1281202-judo-olympian-teddy-riner-there-is-no-moral-code-in-mma

I looked into it a little more and not only is MMA is illegal in France but he doesn't like MMA himself.
ttp://bleacherreport.com/articles/1281202-judo-olympian-teddy-riner-there-is-no-moral-code-in-mma

There is more to it. He only started with comments like that after he had a meeting with Judo Association. Before that he was more open to it. Its just politics. And France has now legalized MMA I think starting 2020 so in the future maybe the hold of Judo association on french politics will lessen.

Back