Which fighter ever could win slugfest with Hagler?

If Hearns could almost knock out Hagler in the first, RJJ could have come a HELL OF A LOT closer. Don't be ridiculous.

I personally think McClellan Hagler would have been 50/50 slugfest. McClellan walked through Julian Jackson and stopped him twice, and also stopped Nigel Benn's ass (idgaf about official result), too. All slugfests up to the stoppages I mentioned.

Definitely had slugfests in mind for these guys.

Jesus, another twerp.

I don't get the bit in bold. Benn won by stopping McClellan, it wasn't some dodgy decision.
You know exactly what I mean, you just like the story that Nigel came back to stop the monster. Kinda shitty that koing a dude through the ropes results in 10 extra seconds to recover.

Who ever at his weight could really outgrind and outfight Marvin? Not outbox him like SRL, but win slugfest? I only could think about Toney and maybe Hopkins?

Off the top of my head ......

Mike McCallum.
Roberto Duran - in prime but at the MW limit or near it.

Jake LaMotta
Rocky Graziano
Tony Zale

I'm giving three "old school" guys not because I think they're the best at everything but because they were used to, and pretty effective, at that grinding in-fighting.

All 5 wouldn't be favoured but would stand a 50-50 or near 50 shot.

Last edited:
You know exactly what I mean, you just like the story that Nigel came back to stop the monster. Kinda shitty that koing a dude through the ropes results in 10 extra seconds to recover.
No I don't know what you are on about as Benn was allowed by the rules of the governing body of that fight a full 20 seconds because he was outside the ropes. He only took 13 seconds so your point is moot. The rules are the rules if you don't like them then tough.

No I don't know what you are on about as Benn was allowed by the rules of the governing body of that fight a full 20 seconds because he was outside the ropes. He only took 13 seconds so your point is moot. The rules are the rules if you don't like them then tough.

Yeah, you're right, being KOd so badly you fall helplessly through the ropes you get more time is the most sensical rule ever made, I know how rules work smartass, but you know exactly what I mean, and I bet even Nigel lays at night wondering if he really won that night. You shouldn't get more time because you were so soundly defeated you collapsed through the ropes, so stop citing :eek::eek::eek:gy rules like I didn't play combat sports myself or understand the concept of rulea, thats a dumb fucking one, and dont even pretend you dont know what I mean. Dont like my opinion? Tough. Nigel hit like a ton of bricks, but at the end of the day he lost and drew with Eubank and got his ass beat by McClellan in a round, people hold on to the McClellan "win" way too hard and get extremely butthurt and cite rules like hall monitors every time. Watch the fucking fight, dude got knocked to the apron and got a lifetime to get back up like Gerald threw him into the 10th row.

Yeah, you're right, being KOd so badly you fall helplessly through the ropes you get more time is the most sensical rule ever made, I know how rules work smartass, but you know exactly what I mean, and I bet even Nigel lays at night wondering if he really won that night. You shouldn't get more time because you were so soundly defeated you collapsed through the ropes, so stop citing :eek::eek::eek:gy rules like I didn't play combat sports myself or understand the concept of rulea, thats a dumb fucking one, and dont even pretend you dont know what I mean. Dont like my opinion? Tough. Nigel hit like a ton of bricks, but at the end of the day he lost and drew with Eubank and got his ass beat by McClellan in a round, people hold on to the McClellan "win" way too hard and get extremely butthurt and cite rules like hall monitors every time. Watch the fucking fight, dude got knocked to the apron and got a lifetime to get back up like Gerald threw him into the 10th row.

Don't cry like a little baby about the rules. Ignore them if you want but falling throw the ropes meant he got tangled up in them which I think is fair enough that he took an extra 3 seconds to get back through them. Don't act so butthurt that I have a different opinion to you! Gerald lost the fight and Nigel won within the ruleset that they were fighting in. If you don't like the rules then don't watch the fight retard.

Off the top of my head ......

Mike McCallum.
Roberto Duran - in prime but at the MW limit or near it.

Jake LaMotta
Rocky Graziano
Tony Zale ?

I'm giving three "old school" guys not because I think they're the best at everything but because they were used to, and pretty effective, at that grinding in-fighting.

All 5 wouldn't be favoured but would stand a 50-50 or near 50 shot.
Yeah I think you're right to say Graziano and Zale especially. They not only were great at in-fighting, but they fought very dirty, too in ways that would surprise Hagler in stages.

Don't cry like a little baby about the rules. Ignore them if you want but falling throw the ropes meant he got tangled up in them which I think is fair enough that he took an extra 3 seconds to get back through them. Don't act so butthurt that I have a different opinion to you! Gerald lost the fight and Nigel won within the ruleset that they were fighting in. If you don't like the rules then don't watch the fight retard.

Im not butthurt, you quoted my post first because you got butthurt about Nigel's legacy like a fanboy. You claim to not know what Im talking about, then reply two more times specifically citing what Im talking about. If you get knockdd through the ropes by a punch you should have defended yourself better in the first place. Thats my opinion, you can deal with it, and have proven you understand what I am saying. The rules are bent, exploited all the time and change with different sanctioning bodies. Some of them are in place for retarded reasoning. I still have my opinion, and you didnt shape an opinion of your own anyway, you just safely quoted rules like a parrot.

GGG would probably be the closest because of all those experiments the soviets did on his chin some years back. Who remembers that punch Canelo landed on him? Guys a fucking robot!

Im not butthurt, you quoted my post first because you got butthurt about Nigel's legacy like a fanboy. You claim to not know what Im talking about, then reply two more times specifically citing what Im talking about. If you get knockdd through the ropes by a punch you should have defended yourself better in the first place. Thats my opinion, you can deal with it, and have proven you understand what I am saying. The rules are bent, exploited all the time and change with different sanctioning bodies. Some of them are in place for retarded reasoning. I still have my opinion, and you didnt shape an opinion of your own anyway, you just safely quoted rules like a parrot.
You're an idiot, I'm not a Benn fan boy at all, I don't actually like the man. Always been a Eubank fan myself. Your butthurt because I happened to question your interpretation of the events. I see someone talking shit and I'm the kind of person to call them out on it. If you don't like it then don't talk shit. Benn won the fight within rules. If he won by fifty nut shots and that was allowed within the rules then I'd be an idiot for crying about the result. Those were the rules so deal with it instead of getting all whiny about it.

You're an idiot, I'm not a Benn fan boy at all, I don't actually like the man. Always been a Eubank fan myself. Your butthurt because I happened to question your interpretation of the events. I see someone talking shit and I'm the kind of person to call them out on it. If you don't like it then don't talk shit. Benn won the fight within rules. If he won by fifty nut shots and that was allowed within the rules then I'd be an idiot for crying about the result. Those were the rules so deal with it instead of getting all whiny about it.
No loser, I said my thing, you played dumb like you didn't understand what I was saying, and when I told you in a nice way to cut the shit, you suddenly knew what I was talking about and opined on your own. I already know you disagree, I don't care, you're a moron. Im entitled to my own opinions. I let you have yours, but you just specifically asked me to clarify mine, acting like you couldnt possibly understand what I meant, so I told your ass. Get over it loser.

Sticking with my 50/50 picks
McClellan
Jackson
RJJ

No loser, I said my thing, you played dumb like you didn't understand what I was saying, and when I told you in a nice way to cut the shit, you suddenly knew what I was talking about and opined on your own. I already know you disagree, I don't care, you're a moron. Im entitled to my own opinions. I let you have yours, but you just specifically asked me to clarify mine, acting like you couldnt possibly understand what I meant, so I told your ass. Get over it loser.

Sticking with my 50/50 picks
McClellan
Jackson
RJJ

LOL I knew exactly what you were talking about the very first time you spouted your stupid opinion because it was obvious that a dickhead like yourself would complain about the extra 3 seconds that Benn was LEGALLY allowed according to the rules. You obviously didn't like me pointing out your nonsense which is why you kicked off like a little baby. Again, if you don't like the rules of boxing, don't fucking watch the fight. And definitely don't complain about it after the fact! Move on you moron.

Mr. Eubank man, who you do you got in the Groves/JR semi final coming up? And how do you think Eubank sr would have done against McClellan?
I think Eubank will beat Groves, he'll overwhelm him with work rate, especially in the second half of the fight. Ironically I think Eubank Sr would have given McClellan a really tough time because he had such a great chin on him but I don't think he'd have won because McClellan had a higher work rate and I think he'd have outpointed him over 12.

I think Eubank will beat Groves, he'll overwhelm him with work rate, especially in the second half of the fight. Ironically I think Eubank Sr would have given McClellan a really tough time because he had such a great chin on him but I don't think he'd have won because McClellan had a higher work rate and I think he'd have outpointed him over 12.
Yeah, good breakdowns. I've been looking forward to this Eubank Jr/Groves fight, I think this is the one where Jr makes a statement over a quality opponent.

I've grown more and more observant of his father's career while getting caught up with boxing history I wasn't around to see. Its frustrating the fights we didn't get to see more match ups between the lot of Eubank, RJJ, Benn, Toney, Hopkins, McClellan... that era had so many appealing fights, and I think left a lot of questions unanswered.

For anyone saying Roy Jones I’m asking for the fight in a phone booth if I’m haglers team.

For anyone saying Roy Jones I’m asking for the fight in a phone booth if I’m haglers team.

Agreed. Jones wins a clear JD if he moves around Marvin, but a slugfest is hardly a good idea.

Back