Which fighter do you regret hating?

Jon Jones. I wasn't a fan at first but I am now. He's the best talent we've ever seen in the sport.

I disliked Matt Hughes for almost his entire career but ended up being a fan towards the very end.

If you hate someone, it's usually because they embody character traits that you dislike, yet they have still managed to be successful in life. That makes it hard to convince ourselves that one day
they will get their karma, or comuppance for their behaviour, and that makes us mad.

That is why we love it so much when they eventually do get a dose of karma, eg Ronda.

That's just the human condition.

I used to like Nick Diaz when he knocked out Lawler, now I hate him because he is a whiney bitch who never stops complaining and calls it 'real talk'. I guess that's the exact opposite of what TS asked, but it works both ways!

I used to dislike Donald Cerrone, now he's one of my favourite fighters to watch.

Shogun and Fedor as I got older I came to appreciate them more and more and now consider my self a fan.

Frankie Edgar is the only example I can think of.

He hated him because he dethroned one of my favourite fighters ever in Penn. Because the first fight was very close I guess I felt he got "robbed", even though that's a little bit of a stretch. I also really liked Gray and thought he genuinely was robbed of a win against Frankie, I guess a Draw was fair in retrospect. Then Gray gets KO'd by this guy who punches like a 10 year old, and I'm like "How is this guy beating all my favs with this Rocky Balboa sh*it".

Only when he lost to another one of my favourites Benson, and then of course to Aldo (Who I love too n/h) I kind of thought "hey, he's served his time" and since then he has been incredible and has really improved in the entertainment side of things - also become very dominant. I actually really like the guy now!

If you hate someone, it's usually because they embody character traits that you dislike, yet they have still managed to be successful in life. That makes it hard to convince ourselves that one day
they will get their karma, or comuppance for their behaviour, and that makes us mad.

That is why we love it so much when they eventually do get a dose of karma, eg Ronda.

That's just the human condition.

I used to like Nick Diaz when he knocked out Lawler, now I hate him because he is a whiney bitch who never stops complaining and calls it 'real talk'. I guess that's the exact opposite of what TS asked, but it works both ways!
Or there fans are fuckwits that make them hard to enjoy

Alistair Overeem. Some of his arrogant remarks in the past turned me off. But the day passing & realising he is one of the last of the old school guys, made me appreciate him much more & off course his skills.

Benson henderson.

Wish he never lost the belt and we'd see LW title fights.

Back