Which fight was closer: Jones vs. Reyes or GSP vs. Hendricks?

It doesnt say anywhere in the rules that if champion wins 4 and 5 the challenger needs to nearly knock him out or win by a mile in 1st 3 rounds to win. I see this sentiment a lot. The 'you cant let it go to judges' and 'you gotta finish the champ' are pretty bad too. The fights should be judges on the rules as is. The fights getting special unwritten rules for championship fights is ridiculous and just justifies corruption and incompetence.
SAD!!!

Jones took a beating too in the 1st 3 rounds..... Georges clearly won 2 rounds and arguably a 3rd. Jon barely won 2 rounds.

Reyes' biggest flurry of the 1st 3 rounds.

Hendricks biggest flurry of the 1st 3 rounds.

2.gif

Personally I'd call neither of those a beating but as far as damage Hendricks put GSP on ice skates more than once.

And Jones/Reyes rds 4 + 5 has no controversy among fans or media. They were clear for Jones.

GSP vs Hendricks was a more convincing win. One thing that both fights have in common, is that the defending champion fought to the very last second of the fight, while the challenger slackened off for the entire last round. That's the difference between a champion and a challenger.

It's a lot more arguable GSP won than Jones.

It's hard to argue Jon won any of the first 3 rounds. I thought it was arguable though when I first watched it although I thought Reyes won the rounds when I was watching.

I remember thinking the 2nd or 3rd( need to rewatch) was a really close round.

I just rewatched round 2. Honestly it's so clear Reyes won it. Jones had a couple of moments but Reyes won most of the first 3 minutes, Jones had a good spell between 2 mins left and 45 seconds left roughly, then Reyes finished the round stronger, so you can't even make the argument Jones stole the round by ending well.

As a side note, Gus is my favourite fighter, and even I scored their first fight 3-2 Jones, so I am by no means afraid to admit when he wins a close fight.

The outcome of that fight also brought me back to GSP vs Hendricks.

GSP vs Hendricks cleary had two rounds each. I think the debate was for a single round, the first?
This time, seems like Jones lost the first 3, without much argument to think otherwise... But yeah, both very close championship figths!

Gsp and hendricks was far closer people just make it sound like a robbery because of the damage gsp took, but that is not part of the scoring system. And only two outlets of the mma media gave the fight to gsp back than, 5 outlets gave this fight to jones which just proves the mma media is as bad as the judges

These fights and Jones vs Gus 1 were special. No matter who could get the win, it would feel cheap/robbery.

Back