Which fight was closer? Johnson-Barboza, or Johnson-Dariush?

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
I see a lot of people thinking that Beneil won the decision or that at minimum, it could have gone either way. I find that kind of shocking. I had Johnson winning both fights, but upon further reviewing, I actually noticed his fight with Barboza was substantially closer than it is given credit for.

I rewatched both fights. One thing that is crystal clear, is that both fights were called by Florian and came with a lot of bias in favor of Johnson. He ignored Dariush's flying knees and almost every one of Barboza's body kicks. The same kicks that bunch Rogan's shorts and get people excited.

I don't mean this in a negative way, but both fights are full of Johnson volume punching and swinging at air more often than not, but still coming forward.

Out of the two fights, it is clear that Barboza landed cleaner and more powerful strikes than Dariush. As far as stats go:

A lot of people are saying Dariush had superior defense. Well he kept Johnson to 37%. Barboza kept him to 20%. Johnson landed over twice as many significant strikes on Dariush than he did on Edson. The total strike differential of 7 over all three rounds combined, in comparison to 11 against Dariush (both in favor of Johnson).

Half of Barboza's significant strikes on Johnson were body kicks (16 total) (Kicks are scored higher).

He landed at a 31% clip to Johnson's 20%.

Fight Metric has Barboza losing round 1 and 2, and winning round 3, just like Dariush. With the main difference that no mma media outlets had Dariush winning the fight, while two media sites had Barboza winning 29-28.

I don't want to start any animosity here, I am just looking for discussion. If a decision is a terrible one, do some people just side with the winner just because?

I think Johnson should have won both, but the Dariush fight was closer. Only watched the Barboza fight once though.

I think Johnson should have won both, but the Dariush fight was closer. Only watched the Barboza fight once though.

This. I thought both fights were pretty close but I thought he edged them out

Barboza held his own but was too tentative IMO, while I thought Dariush actually looked really good in spots

This. I thought both fights were pretty close but I thought he edged them out

Barboza held his own but was too tentative IMO, while I thought Dariush actually looked really good in spots

See this opinion has not been a popular one. Most people say Johnson tore through Barboza, but was ok against Dariush.

See this opinion has not been a popular one. Most people say Johnson tore through Barboza, but was ok against Dariush.

I think some of it has to do with expectation coming into the fight. People expected Baroza to look like a killer coming into the fight, they didn't expect the same out of Dariush.

Yea I've seen comments like that, when I watched it I thought it was a pretty close fight. I thought Johnson missed a lot, it wasn't anything spectacular in my opinion(Barboza fight)

Beneil - Johnson was closer. Everyone thinks Johnson won but the deciding round is the opening round. Beneil was hitting alot of leg kicks until Johnson hits the hard blow. It can go either way, but Beneil winning is better. He's more effective on the 3rd w/c Johnson looks gassed, missing his shots.

I think the Dariush fight was closer. I had Darius winning that one, Johnson winning the other

Johnson vs Dariush was definitely closer.
So much controversy after that decision..

Beneil - Johnson was closer. Everyone thinks Johnson won but the deciding round is the opening round. Beneil was hitting alot of leg kicks until Johnson hits the hard blow. It can go either way, but Beneil winning is better. He's more effective on the 3rd w/c Johnson looks gassed, missing his shots.

I respect your opinion, but I don't see it. Dariush's leg kicks were not clean, many of them skimmed with the toes or missed completely. In addition, he was knocked down at the end of the round.

How is that any better than Barboza landed 8 hard body kicks in the first and not getting knocked down or rocked?

I wasn't surprised Dariush had won. He had a strong jab and cl w arly won rd 3. Rd 2 was close.

Yeah gotta re-watch that Barbiza fight before I open muh mouf... Was definitely drunk for that event

Back