Which excites you more...a top WMMA fight or a gatekeeper MMA fight?

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
For example, which would you rather watch

Maycee Barber vs PVZ
or
Sam Alvey vs Shogun

Valentina vs Chookagain
or
Kevin Less vs Gregor Gillepsie

Id go with any half decent mens MMA fight over ANY non amanda nunes WMMA fight

I get more excited cutting my grass than by watching Sam Alvey.

Don't watch WMMA. Biggest mistake the UFC ever made. Not interested in low level dyke fights.

Maycee Barber vs PVZ
or
Sam Alvey vs Shogun

Valentina vs Chookagain
or

Alvey is kinda boring to me, barber isnt...so I would prefer wmma in that case

the other fight FKL VS GGG is one of my most anticipated

Don't watch WMMA. Biggest mistake the UFC ever made. Not interested in low level dyke fights.
Oh come one, ufc has been mixing in low level homoerotic men’s bouts for years...you can’t be mad at one and not the other

my main variable for exciting fights is creativity and beauty. The more unique your style is, the better.
Tony, Rose, Stylebender, Ryan Hall, Cub, Yair, Silva, Conor, wonderboy, pettis, diaz brothers... theres plenty of them that I cant think off top of my head.

If you're a wrestler-boxer or a basic fighter that moves like everyone else and how "you're supposed to move", then thats when I go to the secondary variables.... like drama, action, personality, record, whats at stake etc.

Last edited:
depends on what kind of gatekeeper we are talking about. Is it someone like Brunson or RDA?, then gatekeeper all day.

Gatekeeper fight but I def wouldn’t consider Gregor Gillespie or Kevin Lee gatekeepers.

Lee is heading in that direction but def not GG

Depends on the fight.
I'd watch maycee vs pvz over most fights... that will be nonstop action until maycee finishes her.
But I would watch Lee Gillespie over maycee pvz because it is a more meaningful fight.

Of the two scenarios you listed I'd pick the women fights in both but it all depends.

My decision would be dependent on too many factors to make a generalization. Maycee Barber is an exciting prospect that I enjoy watching, and Shogun and Alvey don't interest me at all at this point. So I would take the WMMA fight. Your second example is flawed though. Gillespie is undefeated and hardly a gatekeeper. My interest is probably equal among the latter 2 fights. Valentina is extremely skilled, but I also want to see how far Gillespie can go.

WMMA fights I actually want to watch happen maybe once every two years. I wish the UFC would get rid of their women's divisions. I think they're obsessed in finding a new Ronda because she one of the biggest selling fighters of all time, but we all know she's a once in an ever.

Maycee Barber vs PVZ
or
Sam Alvey vs Shogun

Valentina vs Chookagain
or

Honestly, eating a new flavour of donut excites me more than 90% of WMMA fights. But that remaining 10% excites me more than 50% of men's fights. Not sure if I got the math right.

Loma Lookboonme from Thailand - a woman - is about to become the first Thai to fight in the UFC, and it's happening soon at UFC Singapore. I'm super-stoked for that as I have deep roots in Thai culture.

Last edited:
That's a pretty shitty list of fights. I would look back at the result to see if it ended in a finish or decision and decide from there.

What makes you cite Paige VanZant as an example of a top WMMA fighter? She has never ever been in title contention in any division in any organization. And Maycee Barber may be "The Future", but she isn't at the top in the present.

Take a look at the current top fighters of the UFC strawweight division. I'd rather watch any combination of Zhang Weili, Rose Namajunas, Tatiana Suarez, and Joanna Jedrzejczyk than some randomly chosen male division gatekeepers.

Back