Which European country has the most BJJ blackbelts?

Ok, so a preliminary head count will be something like this?

France: 87
UK: 67
Sweden: 35
Germany: 13
Finland: 11
Norway: 10
Netherlands: 9
Greece: 3
Serbia: 2
Montenegro: 1

And just for fun, black belts per million population (approx):

Sweden: 3.723
Norway: 2.041
Finland: 2.037
Montenegro: 1.429
France: 1.328
UK: 1.081
Netherlands: 0.542
Serbia: 0.274
Greece: 0.265
Germany: 0.159

These statistics are erroneous, since some lists only include home-grown BBs and others include imports as well.

There are at least 12 black belts in Portugal, and the Population is around 9 Million (not sure how many 100%)

Black belts are (can't remember everyone's name)
Rodrigo Quadros - Checkmat/Reinaldo Ribeiro
Clauber Santana - Checkmat/Reinaldo Ribeiro
Marcello Rosa
Sergio Vita
Diogo Valenca - Gracie Barra
Kiko da Silva
Marco "Marcao" Carneiro - Nova Uniao
Manoel Neto
Kleber Repolho (trains in Porto - North)
Henrique Pel

Yeah, friggin WWII made you guys sissies. A lot of Catch guys were from Germany. It's kinda sad that such a cool thing just died out. Wonder why.

guess boxing was better to watch, wrestling still exists billy robinson seems to be popular with the mma scene, local styles still practiced too did some cumbrian wrestling few years ago, olso seen a few demos from medieval wrestling too, so its still around just on a very small scale

Hey kimurense,

I think you forgot one potuguese BB: Alexandre Machado, Head coach of Gracie Barra Lisboa. He was the first portuguese wo got a BJJ Black belt, as I heard.

Who was the first Black Belt from/in Europe?

When and where was the first BJJ Academy in Europe opened?

Who was the first Black Belt from/in Europe?

When and where was the first BJJ Academy in Europe opened?

The first guy who had a BJJ seminar in Europe and tried to develop BJJ in Europe was Remco Pardoel in the Netherlands.

But he didn't get his BB until way later, 2007 from Draculino.

Haha thats funny to see, in my belt exam there were 28~ blackbelts, guess thats the only good thing about living in Brazil haha

right Remco started with Judo and what was called "Sport Jujutsu" originally which was a very early predecessor to MMA practiced in Europe in the 70s, which was similar to Judo with limited striking (probably more limited than Nippon Kenpo). He started BJJ in the early 90s no? Sometime right before UFC I.

right remco started with judo and what was called "sport jujutsu" originally which was a very early predecessor to mma practiced in europe in the 70s, which was similar to judo with limited striking (probably more limited than nippon kenpo). He started bjj in the early 90s no? Sometime right before ufc i.

ATT
Italo Ferreira (Ricardo Liborio-?)

Axis BJJ
Philip Yeomans (Takamasa Watanabe-??/??) *

BJJ Scotland
Marcos Nardini (Amal Easton-08/2006)

BJJ School
Jackson Fortunato (Jose Henrique 'Leao' Teixeira Filho/Felipe Souza-19/06/2010)
Eamonn Madden (Jose Henrique 'Leao' Teixeira Filho/Felipe Souza-19/06/2010)

Checkmat BJJ
Eduardo Ferreira (Ricardo Vieira-?)
Rodrigo Cabral (Leo Vieira-?)
Thiago Borges (Eduardo 'Leitao'?-?)
Neto (?-?)
David Onuma (Ricardo Vieira/Rodrigo Cabral-30/01/2010) *
Abel Martinez (Walmir Netto and Marco Canha-03/04/2010) *
Luiz Ribeiro (Marco Canha-18/04/2010)
Marco Canha?

BTT
Eduardo Carriello (?-?)
Jose 'Ze' Marcello (Sergio de 'Bolao' Souza-?)
Steve Cowan (Jose 'Ze' Marcello - 10-10-09) *

Carlson Gracie Revolution Team
Wilson 'Junior' Cretaro (Carlson Gracie Sr/Nelson Solari-2005)
Simon Hayes (Wilson 'Junior' Cretaro-04/2008) *
Dickie Martin (Wilson 'Junior' Cretaro-05/2008) *
Dave Lucas (Reyson Gracie / Franco Vacirca-05/2009) *
Steve Haydock (Roberto de Moraes 'Risada' Atalla-10/2007) *
Walid Tadjouri (Wilson 'Junior' Cretaro - 12/12/09) *

Combat Base
Helen Currie (Chris Haueter-05/2007) *
Darren Currie (Chris Haueter-07/2009) *

Dinky Ninjas
Doug Mcmaster (De La Riva-11/02/2010) *

EK BJJ
Eddie Kone (Royler Gracie/David Adiv-06/2008) *

Gracie Barra
Arlans Siqueira (Marcio

There is also Roberto Atalla "Risada" in Poland and Marius who is a bb under him.

Do you now the situation in Spain for Bjj, Bracelona,Madrid,Valenica,La Coruna,Sevigglia and the other cities, i think in Barcelona they have BTT there.Do you now for other school do they have some black or brown belts?

Do you now the situation in Spain for Bjj, Bracelona,Madrid,Valenica,La Coruna,Sevigglia and the other cities, i think in Barcelona they have BTT there.Do you now for other school do they have some black or brown belts?

Send me a private message with the information you want about BJJ in Spain and I'll try to help you out.

GG

UPDATE ! We've reached more than a 100.

My special congratulation to one of my instructor, Olivier Millier, a 2 time European champ as a purple and as a brown (in the absolute, while he's about 85 kilos) who just got his black belt under Betinho Correia. One of the best instructors in the city.

Be interesting to know. As a lot of Brazilians have moved there. Wedum lived there for a while, I believe.

Be interesting to know. As a lot of Brazilians have moved there. Wedum lived there for a while, I believe.

Yan (? not sure about his first name) Cabral is living in Barcelona too, he used to teach in France before that.

Do you mean home grown black belts or including black belts from other countries. I am not sure if the UK has as many home grown black belts as some other European countries.

It also gets a bit more complicated when you have people from other countries who trained a significant portion of their time in the UK.

The list provided before of UK black belts is definitely out of date.

There are 4 in Ireland with 2 being Irish,and 12 brown belts I believe

Back