Which European country has the most BJJ blackbelts?

ramzie4718

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Finland has 11 blackbelts. This number will probably rise in the next couple of years since Finland also has 43 brownbelts.

Finlands blackbelts:
markkujuntunen.jpg

Markku Juntunen

sauliheilimo.jpg

Sauli Heilim

Last edited:
Last I heard UK has 50-something blackbelts.

I think we have 10 in Norway at the moment, 8 of which are at my academy. Not that many at brown (many have recently been promoted), but a few at purple who are climbing the ranks very quickly and tearing it up on the competition scene.

With all the badass Blackbelts in England I'm sure they do have a big number of them.

I think we're at 10 in Norway, 7 of whom are homegrown. Not very many browns at the moment, but a few of the purples are coming up through the ranks (and tearing it up on the tournament scene) very quickly.

Anybody know if Portugal has a big BJJ scene?

language/cultural ties I mean

I have been keeping an updated list of homegrown brown- and blackbelts here in Germany.

Should be pretty accurate give and take a few.

BJJ: 13 Black, 22 Brown (11 of the browns were awarded this year)

Luta Livre: 10 Black, 10 Brown

First BJJ Blackbelt was in 2004, first two Luta Livre Blackbelts in 2001 (!)

He he apparently Luta livre caught up here quite some time ago too, and in Paris quite a lot of MMA fighters are training luta livre instead of JJB. A friend of mine was a purple belt in it in 2005 so that tells you how long his instructor was there.

Yeah, that'd be interesting to know. As they are still pretty close to Brazil.

BTW what's wrong with Europe, and why did you guys let Catch wrestling die? As well as basically all your homegrown grappling.

No idea... I would expect to see one but how big? The country's relatively small...

I do expect however to see quite a few bjj black belts in Poland. MMA is big there and I've seen some very skilled jiu jitsukas dropping at my club from Poland.

I have been keeping an updated list of homegrown brown- and blackbelts here in Germany.

Should be pretty accurate give and take a few.

BJJ: 13 Black, 22 Brown (11 of the browns were awarded this year)

Luta Livre: 10 Black, 10 Brown

First BJJ Blackbelt was in 2004, first two Luta Livre Blackbelts in 2001 (!)

BTW, this list is only of "native" talent :icon_chee There are quite a few Brazilians here now as well.

can you post said list?

NOTE: There are also a handful of people from Switzerland in there that I haven't bothered to take out.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Black

Michael Haselein [BJJBD] (Ari Galo/ Carlos Gracie Jr. [Gracie Barra]) {1. Dan verliehen im Jahr 2007}

Andreas Hoffmann [Weng Chun Stuttgart] (Flavio Behring [Flavio Behring Jiu Jitsu])

Andre Stock [BJJ Magdeburg] (Reyson Gracie/ Franco Vacirca)
Rafael Perlungher [Yogaka MMA Academy] (Reyson Gracie)
Peter Schira [Gracie Jiu Jitsu Germany] (Rolker Gracie [Gracie Humaita])

Franco "Ortega" De Leonardis [?] (Aldo "Caveirinha" Janu

Back